Short Pump Developments

TBurban

I'm sorry, I just fail to see what's so wrong in referring to the area as Short Pump. It is a more specific definition of a place in the West End.

Libbie and Grove aren't an official name or post office name or whatever, but if I went to a shop there or near there, I'd say I went to Libbie and Grove. I wouldn't say the West End or something less specific. Why not drop Carytown for "part of the city of Richmond where there are a lot of shops and stuff that happen to be on Cary St"?

Most of us aren't foolish enough to be unable to distinguish between right and wrong; I just fail to see what's wrong in calling the area there Short Pump?

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Coupe.. the intersection of Libbie and Grove is in W E S T H A M P T O N. It's just a specific place, like Short Pump. Libbie and Grove is not known as a neighborhood nor an area. So you see, it would be erroneous to call all of that area Libbie and Grove, the same as it would be to call all of the area around a mall Short Pump THEN put it on the same level as cities and towns! That's the part I hate the most! You don't seem to understand that for whatever reason. You think oh he just hates suburbs and that's not true. I hate how stupid Richmonders can be and they hold fast to that stupidity as if they'd die without it. Don't defend that frame of mind and don't give into it either.

Carytown is a specific place too. It does not cover Randolph, the Fan, or West of the Boulevard. You wouldn't go to Kensington and Patterson and say, I'm in Carytown! You wouldn't go to Maymont and say, well Carytown is nearby, so I must be in it.

Would you call Midlothian, Bon Air? It's wrong to do so. Would you call Sandston, Varina? NO! However, Sandston is in the Varina district, they are different. Would you call Ashland, Doswell? Well I'm sorry, Coupe, please don't ever make a map because you would be wrong, wrong, wrong all the time if you don't care what a place is called.

The area has been called Short Pump long before the mall was built. Short Pump appears on I-64 signs and on road signs along 250 east and west of Short Pump. Until downtown is given its own postal code named "downtown" I'll referred to it as Richmond, or is it Saunders Station? Oh wait that's the Fan. Oops, did it again. There is no Fan because the name isn't official, neither is Church Hill or Jackson ward or any place with any name other than Bon Air, Richmond, Glen Allen...well you get the idea.

BTW, I call Libbe and Grove Westhampton and a whole buch of unrealted crap Willow Lawn. That's just how I roll.

You too are completely wrong Brent.

Short Pump existed as that crossroads for many years... it did not cover Wellesley Innsbrook, or Wyndham.

Downtown does have its own zip code... it's 23219. Most of it. It's split with 23220. There are also post offices within downtown with their own zip, one in the Federal Building and the other at VCU Medical Center/MCV. There is a downtown post office but offically it's "central".

Right, Downtown is a term given to the business center of cities or towns (something else Short Pump doesn't really have). It covers several neighborhoods... one of which is Jackson Ward, and Monroe Ward, Court End, Navy Hill, Gambles Hill, Council Chamber Hill and others. The Fan is now officially the Fan. Church Hill has been Church Hill since the beginning days of Richmond! Even if it was known by two names (Richmond Hill). What isn't Church Hill are all those neighborhoods that people wrongfully grouped with it. Richmond neighborhoods all have proper names. Why is it important? Why is it important to know what state you're in? After all it's the same county.

I guess you're going to tell me next that Highland Park doesn't exist as a proper name. :rofl:

I just thought I would add this little bit. For those of yall that would like to look at the renderings for Short Pump Station and the layout, they are available on the contractors website http://www.collinsgoodman.com

Mike

your contributions are always welcome Mike O., sorry for the detour from the West Broad Village topic :thumbsup:

Mike, here's my message to you. Short Pump is a crossroads, not an area. West Broad Village will be WEST BROAD VILLAGE, not Short Pump. You can say you're from NEAR Short Pump, but the number of people who actually live there according to census is like less than 20. Now if you're one of those people, then by all means... you're a Short Pumpian. But if you live like off Church Rd or off Nuckols... it's not Short Pump.

I am anal about these things. Some people need to recognize that and move on. Don't ever refute me. I read plats and deeds... as long as those legal documents say what is what, then I'll go with they say, not what people call things. Other than that, nice to have you here. :)

I am anal about these things. Some people need to recognize that and move on. Don't ever refute me. I read plats and deeds... as long as those legal documents say what is what, then I'll go with they say, not what people call things. Other than that, nice to have you here. :)

I'm sure he feels welcome now. :rolleyes:

Mike, here's my message to you. Short Pump is a crossroads, not an area. West Broad Village will be WEST BROAD VILLAGE, not Short Pump. You can say you're from NEAR Short Pump, but the number of people who actually live there according to census is like less than 20. Now if you're one of those people, then by all means... you're a Short Pumpian. But if you live like off Church Rd or off Nuckols... it's not Short Pump.

WAH WAH WAH... :cry::cry::cry: "I broke my nail"

As the area grows, it may have its own identity. Things have to start somewhere.

Well I would be happy to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. But first I would like to say a few things about Short Pump. I ask you all, wut do Short Pump, Glen Allen, and Highland Springs all have in common? They are all defined as the same thing, a CDP (Census Defined Place). Cam is right when he says that those who live in Wellsley or Wyndamn should not say that they live in Short Pump, because they don't. They live in the Far West End. But in the end, Short Pump is an area in the Far West End, that goes from the Henrico-Goochland Line to Brookriver Dr., and far north as Kaine Rd. So hopefully we can all move on from this topic, there is no more that needs to be said.

As far as West Broad Village, I am not certain, but I would think that the space that will be availabe in Short Pump station will only be fore small retailers and service providing business. I believe that West Broad Village, though having space for some reatilers and the Whole Foods anchor, most of the space is geared more towards office space businesses. For those of you that do not know MeadWestvaco is a company that has moved their Headquarters from New England down to Richmond,VA and currently is holding temporary residence in the old Capitol One complex, just on the otherside of I-64 from Short Pump. The final location of the headquarters is not known yet, but I highly doubt that it will be in the new West Broad Village. Along with moving their corporate headquarters down here, they also plan to have one of they shipping and distribution headquarters with it in the same area.

One last piece off interesting info that is 100% hearsay, but there are talks of the USPS possibly either giving Short Pump their own designation(post office) or allowing the use of Henrico,VA to be an acceptable alternative for Richmond,VA or Glen Allen,VA.

Mike

Thank you Mike for your very informative post.

Your last "hearsay" piece about a separate P.O. out there personally dismays me because I much prefer the "Richmond" designation. That's what makes the region more cohesive than Hampton Roads' seven named cities, IMO. Let's hope it's the kind of "hearsay" that is disallowed in courts. :)

FAVORITISM! When residents in the 23223 zip code of Henrico sought to have their own zip separate from Richmond's 23223 under the name Henrico, they were denied. I actually didn't support that, thinking Springdale would have been better. If there were to be a post office in the area of Short Pump, it should have that name and I wouldn't have a problem.

Mike, those places are CDPs but Short Pump is the only one of the three that are "towns" within Henrico. The other two also have post offices under their names. Highland Springs out of the three is the most townlike having been laid out in a couple grids. Short Pump is a strip using the name of a crossroads that was destroyed by evil, greedy developers with no real vision other than green in their pockets.

Other than that, I guess I'll go out, buy some land, call it Lalaland, and force everyone to call it that. I still would love to build a proper town named after me, so Burt, no suburbs aren't evil. But I sure am sick of the pedestal Short Pump has been placed upon, with its golden idol status.

What's not constructive about letting people know what is an actual place than one people just group together and say, well the whole is all this? If anything there's resistance to that. If I know a place's true identity, what harm is it that you do too? And if I don't know it, I would look it up. But I hate calling a place by a name it is not, just because it's close to a place. I know I know more about the east end's neighborhoods and we all can access Henrico's detailed maps and lists of theirs. I plan to learn the true identity of as many Richmond neighborhoods as I can find. there is no harm in spreading what you know and refuting some wrongs.

West Broad Village will end up being West Broad Village at Henrico's Courthouse. It won't be officially Short Pump unless boundaries (not census boundaries) are set by a zip or other means. West Broad Village is its own development! But it's in the Short Pump area, but down the street from Short Pump. It is technically a neighbor. Other neighborhoods way to the north and way to the south aren't even recognized as Short Pump by the county, it's just bad information if thought otherwise. So, pardon the correction, but if I am corrected about where I live or what's near me, I'd accept it and learn, not dig a hole and say no it is whatever I call it. I really want people to know their city and where they live.

For many years my neighborhood has lost its identity thanks to the no-good cancer of a development in the middle of it. While our deeds and bills still have the original name, people shouldn't assume that a place name is whatever they heard someone else call it. It's been a giant gorilla on my back since I was little that Church Hill means all of Richmond's East End and Henrico's too. Church Hill is a small neighborhood surrounded by other neighborhoods. I want people to know the truth and I will fight to be heard and if I am ignored, it's just like trying to put a grease fire out with everclear. So I don't get all the attempts to have me just go with the "whatever" attitude. I don't always like going with the flow especially if I know something that is true. Believe me, if it were on this side of the city, I'd be just as adamant. If someone called Sandston Highland Springs because they are in close proximity, I would correct that too.

But if that was about how I feel about those developers... well that's just my opinion that they're evil, greedy, and lack foresight. That's just opinion not to be confused with my quest to let people know what really is what versus what you heard someone else call it. I hope that helped.

SP is hardly on a golden pedestal. My friends and I refer to every suburban looking patron at Richmond bars and restaurants as "Short Pump".

Example: I hate how Short pump has taken over Comfort.

or: It didn't take long for NY Deli to get all Short Pump.

If name calling were allowed, I'd call you a freak for being so obsessed with it.

Its really no different from Tyson

It is the central business district which by definition is downtown. Therefore it is a downtown. Downtowns can have neighborhoods and I also call those neighborhoods by their names. But you are right, there is no neighborhood named "Downtown."

If anybody decides to post something interesting on this thread, wake me up and point me in the right direction, please.

------->I just emailed Blackwood Development about Pouncey Place. Its a new strip mall planned at the corner of Twin Hickory Lake Drive and Pouncey Tract Road. Hopefully we'll see some renderings. I think theyre the same company that has been working on those Trolley Square shops.

Tommy beat you to it, Cam. I'm glad he didn't mention the forbidden words which would have encouraged you to continue your diatribe. Maybe we should devise a secret code for shpt so that you won't notice we are talking about BEAUTIFUL, EXCITING SHORT PUMP WHICH SPREADS FROM CHARLOTTESVILLE TO 6TH AND BROAD. :rofl:

Archived