Short Pump Developments

TBurban

From the RTD Real Estate Section...

1.16 million square feet: 495,000 sf of retail - 688,000 sf of office space - 884 residential units - 430 room hotel.

Anchor tenant is Whole Foods, while other possible tenants are REI Sports, Old Navy, Borders, and Drexel Heritage.

Mmmmmm! The hotel, if it has 430 rooms, would be the largest in Metro Richmomnd.

You and Joey are just full of good news items today. :)

Is Drexel Heritage a retail place? Sounds like a corporate name.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmmmm! The hotel, if it has 430 rooms, would be the largest in Metro Richmomnd.

You and Joey are just full of good news items today. :)

Is Drexel Heritage a retail place? Sounds like a corporate name.

Yep, it's a furniture store. Don't worry, I had to Google it to find that out :lol:

From the RTD Real Estate Section...

1.16 million square feet: 495,000 sf of retail - 688,000 sf of office space - 884 residential units - 430 room hotel.

Anchor tenant is Whole Foods, while other possible tenants are REI Sports, Old Navy, Borders, and Drexel Heritage.

Oh my gosh. We have enough Borders and Old Navy in Richmond. If we're going to get massive chains and corporations, you think we could atleast get somethign new.... which is why I'm actually slightly glad to see Whole Foods show up.

I feel like we have enough hotels too...

Borders theres only like one in the West End near Gaskins... But Its good to have another one.. but I don't think theres that many borders in Richmond I only know of two.

Well my beef is that while there is that one, it's only about a 2 or 3 mile drive away on the same road.

Of course, it's not the ultimate franchising criminal... Look at the population of Starbucks in the Short Pump area! There's one in Kroger, Innsbrook, Barnes and Noble, the mall beside Barnes and Noble, and across the mall in the Lauderdale shopping center. Doesn't this scare anyone beside me!? I try to be as optimistic as possible suburban development like West Broad Village, but it kind of disgusts me how places like Starsbuck dot the scene with so many unnecessary locations.

Well my beef is that while there is that one, it's only about a 2 or 3 mile drive away on the same road.

Of course, it's not the ultimate franchising criminal... Look at the population of Starbucks in the Short Pump area! There's one in Kroger, Innsbrook, Barnes and Noble, the mall beside Barnes and Noble, and across the mall in the Lauderdale shopping center. Doesn't this scare anyone beside me!? I try to be as optimistic as possible suburban development like West Broad Village, but it kind of disgusts me how places like Starsbuck dot the scene with so many unnecessary locations.

It'd scare me if the coffee wasn't so good :D

Well, I guess Whole Foods is a step in the right direction. Its location sounds decent, as there aren't really any other organic food grocers in teh area, unless you count Ukrops which I wouldn't. I wonder if it'll pull business from the Gaskins Good Foods Grocery.

Isn't there a new organic produce store on Parham called Fresh...something?

Unnecessary locations? I assure you that Starbucks sees them as very necessary. You may not like the chain, but Starbucks didn't get to where they are by building "unnecessary locations". If the demand is there, you will see a store. Simple as that.

Unnecessary locations? I assure you that Starbucks sees them as very necessary. You may not like the chain, but Starbucks didn't get to where they are by building "unnecessary locations". If the demand is there, you will see a store. Simple as that.

Just because a place serves Starbucks coffee doesn't mean it's a full franchise, does it? How many stand-alone Starbucks are there in Richmond? I agree with CommRE: if the demand is there, then serve the customer.

Same goes for hotels, Old Navy, etc. IMO, BP.

Just because a place serves Starbucks coffee doesn't mean it's a full franchise, does it? How many stand-alone Starbucks are there in Richmond? I agree with CommRE: if the demand is there, then serve the customer.

Same goes for hotels, Old Navy, etc. IMO, BP.

Well, I'm not going to blame the ubiquity soley on a corporation, but I think it'd be so much better to see independent, non-franchised, coffee houses. I mean, I know we're never going to see a place like Shockoe Espresso or Harrison St Coffee shop in West Broad Village, let alone anywhere near Short Pump, but having hte same chains all over the place everywhere you go lends an environment to lose an element of uniqueness of identity.

Wouldn't it be far more interesting to see West Broad Village's retail and dining modeled in a similar fashion to Charlottesville's downtown mall? It's got an indisputably unique upscale, urbanesque identity with tons of local, independent business intermixed with the occasional chain like Five Guys and Wachovia (indispensable). It even has a VERY interesting coffee shop, Mudhouse, that puts any Starbucks to shame.

Comre and Burt I totally agree... I mean to me I don't see how places that serve starbucks coffee would be a full franchise... Back on Topic... Agent Tommy :lol: hows WBV coming along is it still dirt or is there signs of steel or anything?

Haha, not a thing, nothing at all. I'm almost starting to get impatient with it...it's been in this same state for the past couple months now. I bet the NIMBYs are behind this <_<

Well, I'm not going to blame the ubiquity soley on a corporation, but I think it'd be so much better to see independent, non-franchised, coffee houses. I mean, I know we're never going to see a place like Shockoe Espresso or Harrison St Coffee shop in West Broad Village, let alone anywhere near Short Pump, but having hte same chains all over the place everywhere you go lends an environment to lose an element of uniqueness of identity.

Wouldn't it be far more interesting to see West Broad Village's retail and dining modeled in a similar fashion to Charlottesville's downtown mall? It's got an indisputably unique upscale, urbanesque identity with tons of local, independent business intermixed with the occasional chain like Five Guys and Wachovia (indispensable). It even has a VERY interesting coffee shop, Mudhouse, that puts any Starbucks to shame.

While I agree and frequent a few of the local brewers when I can. The Starbucks game is a because no matter where you really go if its a starbucks Coffee shop the flavors are the Same. Any of us walking, driving or riding can see the Logo and Know that the coffee will be the same. Not so with independent, smaller guys. ( even though I can always find a blend I enjoy at an indy.)

To those that wondered how so many are there, The Krogers, B&N, and small fry like our Cafes are under the " Proudly Serving " Program that qualifies the business and instructs the client on how to brew and hold thier coffee's. Barnes and noble has a version of the "Proudly brewing" program but is more in line with one of thier coffee shops offering more selections and flavors and well as locally produced foodstuff. Hope that helps...

BTW you'll probably start seeing a lot of Seattles Best Coffee in the Market and in Smaller Restaurants and Cafe's as Starbucks bought them a year ago. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Damn! The small print is too much for these old eyes.

Is the North Gayton Road project, including interchange with I-64, and connecting to Shady Grove in the immediate future?

Hm, try clicking the black bar at the top of the photos (it should make them larger), and if it's still too small, I'll convert it into typing soon :thumbsup:

The N. Gayton Road to Shady Grove Road extension is scheduled for the 2010 to 2011 time frame.

Hm, try clicking the black bar at the top of the photos (it should make them larger), and if it's still too small, I'll convert it into typing soon :thumbsup:

The N. Gayton Road to Shady Grove Road extension is scheduled for the 2010 to 2011 time frame.

Thanks, that helped. Now I can read it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived