Short Pump Developments

TBurban

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.. what a dumb place for an aloft hotel... (downtown would have been much more suitable). Ahh well

I don't know why you never pay attention to me and what I say. It is true, Henrico seeks to build its own downtown. People keep denying it because of "edge cities" and "typical" suburban growth, but Henrico has something up its sleeve and it does not look to cordially co-exist with downtown Richmond.

Watch.

I don't know why you never pay attention to me and what I say. It is true, Henrico seeks to build its own downtown. People keep denying it because of "edge cities" and "typical" suburban growth, but Henrico has something up its sleeve and it does not look to cordially co-exist with downtown Richmond.

Watch.

I see a further spread Atlanta-Buckhead relationship.

I wondered why I couldn't find Greg Gilligan's column this morning. It was because it was on a second page that I had to find by clicking "more".

It does seem odd that aloft is going to be in WBV; Centennial might be a better choice.

I hope WBV is progressing; all I saw last week was a vast cleared area. But as Shak points out, perhaps there was a lot of utility installation going on underground.

I still would like to know who the mysterious tenant is going to be for the Reynolds Crossing midrise.

And what was it all about when somebody said a Henrico company was "within a week" of announcing plans for the Lucky Strike Power Plant in Tobacco Row?

And there has been no further talk of a high rise on the triangle block downtown.

Do you suppose all of this was just "talk"?

None of it was "just talk."

There is obviously a tenant lined up at Reynolds Crossing, it's just that their identity has not been made public yet. The developer would not have gone through all the trouble of asking the board of supervisors for leniency on construction times if it was simply just for spec space or something.

With Tobacco Row, I'm sure that is moving forward as well. Sometimes negotiations take longer than expected or other issues arise.

Triangle Block... probably won't hear more for a couple months...

yeah coupe I do agree with you this stuff takes time to get all planned out before it can be made to the public. I'm patient for this cause I know it will take time for all of this to be announced. Plus like I stated before I'm wondering if Starwood Hotels is still gonna put something downtown if not it will be a huge disapointment.

yeah coupe I do agree with you this stuff takes time to get all planned out before it can be made to the public. I'm patient for this cause I know it will take time for all of this to be announced. Plus like I stated before I'm wondering if Starwood Hotels is still gonna put something downtown if not it will be a huge disapointment.

aloft is Starwoods, so maybe they've opted for suburbia instead of downtown. On the other hand, the hotel Czar (is his name Patel?) said in Style Magazine that he wants to and WILL build a full-service hotel downtown.

Is he the same man who own Legacy Inn near the airport?

Isn't the new mystery tenant at Reynolds Bon Secures?

I see a further spread Atlanta-Buckhead relationship.

Remember, Richmond and Henrico are independent of each other. Short Pump only benefits Henrico and has nothing to do with Richmond City, unlike other cities and their suburbs outside of Virginia.

It was from the 70s ... I think after all the legal battles it was the late 70s. What I've found weird is that other cities in Va have annexed since then like Fredericksburg in 1984. It's just poor Richmond, never compensated as part of the deal. I would love to see Richmond's do-nothing government dissolved and Henrico taking over. Then maybe the city could really improve and get all the neat projects.

None of it was "just talk."

There is obviously a tenant lined up at Reynolds Crossing, it's just that their identity has not been made public yet. The developer would not have gone through all the trouble of asking the board of supervisors for leniency on construction times if it was simply just for spec space or something.

With Tobacco Row, I'm sure that is moving forward as well. Sometimes negotiations take longer than expected or other issues arise.

Triangle Block... probably won't hear more for a couple months...

Agree on all points. I wouldn't expect to hear anything on the Triangle parcel downtown for a little while. But rest assured things are going on behind the scenes.

Thanks CommRE and Coupe for your reassurances. My little ploy is to mention these future plans from time to time on the off chance that something has occured of which we are not aware. :) It keeps all our hopes up while we're biding our time.

For instance, I had no idea there was a meeting last night about the new State Office building. It is always gratifying to learn that planned things have not been shelved.

Regionalism must occur in steps... I doubt you'll find a recent example of any consolidation like that without more regional cooperation in place first.

And of course you know that is something that won't exist in Richmond in my, your, or our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren's lives if we haven't destroyed the planet by then. Until then, Short Pump will be a huge thorn in Richmond's side and a giant leech sucking the developmental life out of the city.

But we can all say that annexing will never happem because of the bill that the State approves on Annexing so unless someone gets rid of the annexing bill then it won't happen untill someone gets rid of it. I would really like to see the City Gobble up all of Henrico and let Henrico Officials take over the City Government. Plus My dad was telling me alot of charlottes growth was annexing too because they were alowed to annex in Chralotte and that just caused them to gobble up more people. If the City doesn't act now then we will see our City keep suffering in Population. The other problem with City Government is that everyone has there own opinion and never can agree together on anything. All City Council is is A BUNCH OF CRAPPY LAWYERS!!!! All they do is try to benefit themselves and not the city and its people. They just care about thereselves and not the people of the city of richmond.

And of course you know that is something that won't exist in Richmond in my, your, or our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren's lives if we haven't destroyed the planet by then. Until then, Short Pump will be a huge thorn in Richmond's side and a giant leech sucking the developmental life out of the city.

Cadeho, you and Downtowner give the counties far too much credit. Is West Broad Village something you are really coveting and something you wish Richmond had? From lurking and reading your posts it sounds like you prefer the suburbs to the city which is fine but please don't wish big box stores and strip malls on people who enjoy the character and uniqueness of downtown Richmond. The City government has it's problems but I have no desire to see Richmond taken over by county officials who allow sprawl to go on unchecked in the name of the almighty dollar.

And to address this post, I don't see Short Pump and Richmond clashing in the least. People who want to live in NOVA-style suburbs with lots of brand name stores and restaurants will prefer Short Pump while people more interested in culture, parks, history, walkable communities, the arts, good food, architecture... well you get my point.. those people most certainly will be more drawn to downtown Richmond than by squeeky clean Short Pump. Young professionals and artists who are the driving force for Richmond's renaissance aren't going to be lured by such generic offerings. Just my completely biased 2 cents ^_^

If the City doesn't act now then we will see our City keep suffering in Population.

I think the population will stabilize soon, if it hasn't already. Also, the key is the quality, not the quantity of the people. If the city continues to attract young professionals, it won't matter if the population continues to decline slightly. The vitality of the city will stay strong. I used to be a feverishly adamant proponent of annexation, while growing up in Roanoke and watching county residents use all the cities facilities and work in the city without paying city taxes. But I've recently come to the realization that the suburbanization trends of the last 50 years are changing. Young, successful people are chosing downtowns over the suburbs. Cities could one day be more economically well off than the suburbs that surround them, and it will be Henrico begging to be annexed by Richmond.

it may just be me but i find it incredibly ironic that someone on Urbanplanet is upset about humanity's treatment of the environment...when most people on these boards get giddy when a farm or patch of trees gets cleared for "progress"

All i'm saying is that the City doesn't care about its people and all they care about is themselves. They don't give a crap about there citizens. There Government is a Train Wreck. Someone needs to step up to the plate in the city governemnt because wilder is crapola we can do better than wilder. All City Council is is a Bunch of BACKSTABBING LAWYERS!!!! They can't agree on anything together because like I said before one person says then the other person doesn't agree with it. City Council is a Train Wreck as well. Someone needs to do something with the city goverment because its not working out at all. I do hope the state takes it over because the people that run it right now don't have a lick of sense at all.

Cadeho, you and Downtowner give the counties far too much credit. Is West Broad Village something you are really coveting and something you wish Richmond had? From lurking and reading your posts it sounds like you prefer the suburbs to the city which is fine but please don't wish big box stores and strip malls on people who enjoy the character and uniqueness of downtown Richmond. The City government has it's problems but I have no desire to see Richmond taken over by county officials who allow sprawl to go on unchecked in the name of the almighty dollar.

And to address this post, I don't see Short Pump and Richmond clashing in the least. People who want to live in NOVA-style suburbs with lots of brand name stores and restaurants will prefer Short Pump while people more interested in culture, parks, history, walkable communities, the arts, good food, architecture... well you get my point.. those people most certainly will be more drawn to downtown Richmond than by squeeky clean Short Pump. Young professionals and artists who are the driving force for Richmond's renaissance aren't going to be lured by such generic offerings. Just my completely biased 2 cents ^_^

There's no coveting, but I completely loathe what Henrico has repeatedly advertized as "the new downtown", "the new Fan" when we should spend money on the real things and not recreate them for a bunch of stuck-ups who are afraid to death of crossing the city limits. You didn't hear them say "downtown Virginia Center," and I have no problem with any of the developments at Virginia Center. But it's when they are trying to pass off these developments as on par with or superior to what already exist that I feel insulted and bashed by Henrico and it's merry band of greedy developers.

However, Henrico is trying to create with WBV the walkable community and such that you say are lured by the city. Once again, Henrico seeks to start a new exodus from the city. Maybe those who like the history won't be affected, but if it's advertized as "the new Fan" with less parking and crime problems and A SUPERIOR SCHOOL SYSTEM, people will forget the city and take the bait.

Henrico needs to back down with its new city in the west end and help the real one with humbled servitude instead of defiance.

Cam... Henrico isn't building a new City and it probably has little effect on downtown now I know you hate Short Pump but I don't think the City has anything against the City of Richmond who knows maybe they'd love to help out the City of Richmond's Problems. But The City is doing fine with Short Pump continuing plus its CHAINS GALORE in Short Pump. Also the chains in Short Pump are big enough to have a location downtown one day. Like Coupe has told me before we just need to get more people into the city in order to have a Big Time Retail Hub. I can see it happening... Haha Cam I bet 20 Years from now youll say haha I used to hate short pump but now I don't mind it that the city has what short pump once had. I guaranteed youll say that 20 years down the road.

Archived