Short Pump Developments

TBurban

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short Pump Station's on my boycott list for cutting off Three Chopt.

Short Pump in its entirety is on my boycott list. It is everything I hate about sprawl... then you tack on this misconstrued notion of New Urbanism and it just makes me groan. If they built these items in downtown Richmond it would be spectacular. Developers fail to see that you can move people further than 5 minutes from where they already live... you just have to make a product that people will live in.

My pleasure... I didnt do my senior thesis on urban redevelopment for no reason...

Although I don't entirely boycott everything in Short Pump. I share the general sentiment that this type of development is inefficient in its use of space and unnecessarily detrimental to the environment.

Most people that shop in Short Pump don't live in that zip code. They live in the near-west end, or the city, or the Mechanicsville area or Chester or Midlothian or one of hundreds of areas of the greater metro that is not short pump. And in terms of the ideal central location most accessible to the most people, the spot would be closer to downtown, probably next to 195 Southwest of Bryan Park.

But for reasons I understand but don't agree with, retailers want to be in brand new areas closer to affluent neighborhoods. In any case, the attempt at higher density, new-urbanism style development in Short Pump leaves much to be desired.

I guess all I can say is if an undeveloped area must be paved over, I'll always prefer higher density, even if its still not as well planned as it should be. What we could do is selectively boycott urban sprawl's worst offenders while making occasional visits to suburban businesses that at least atttempt a more responsible development pattern. Its funny, I can imagine a day in the not too distant future when a new retail area is developed in Gum Spring (exit 159), which will by that point be known as the west end.

Only if a rail line goes there. Gas is going to hit 4 or 5 bucks by the end of the decade. At that point the great american love affair with the combustion powered car will end. If the price of steel and concrete drop any sometime soon, expect taller buildings rather than 1 story stick buildings.

Journiyin, what school did you study at and what was your major?

Virginia Tech.... undergrad in Landscape Architecture (5 year professional degree program) and minor in Urban Policy and Planning.... I can take a picture of the diploma if you would like :shades:

Along those lines... but I think it is a fancier name... cant remember it off the top of my head though...

Journi, I think both of us got a bit off base here. West Broad Village is to get an "aloft" hotel (a Starwoods property) and the Hilton, originally depicted as 12-stories in Towne Center West (next to Short Pump Town Center), has been reduced in size to 8-stories. Sorry I added to the confusion.

A Westin Hotel is rising at Reynolds Crossing just west of Phillip Morris Headquarters.

I was out in Short Pump today doing some errands and I noticed that West Broad Village and Short Pump Station are moving pretty darn fast. Also Towne Center West has 2 Strips of Shops completed. Also I believe that the Target out at Short Pump will become a Super Target since I noticed the expansion is pretty large. So Im expecting we will see the metro area's first Super Target.

I was out in Short Pump today doing some errands and I noticed that West Broad Village and Short Pump Station are moving pretty darn fast. Also Towne Center West has 2 Strips of Shops completed. Also I believe that the Target out at Short Pump will become a Super Target since I noticed the expansion is pretty large. So Im expecting we will see the metro area's first Super Target.

I thought Super Target and Greatlands were the same.

Also The Virginia Center Commons Target has a wall missing... they're renovating or expanding too.

Greatlands are the second biggest Target. The Super Targets are much bigger and are the size of a Walmart Supercenter with the expanded grocery sections and usually in some Super Targets theres even a Starbucks in it and sometimes a bank I hear. I went to the Super Target in Fredericksburg VA and it was pretty neat I liked it alot more than the ones here most likely I probably liked it cause it was brand new. It was in a brand new shopping center with some retail I had never heard of before that looked like chains. But I am pretty sure the Greatlands Target is becoming a Super Target in Short Pump. Like Cam said the one out at Virginia Center Commons might become a Super Target as well since I think that one used to be a Greatlands Target too.

Has TC west recruited any other tenants besides Ethan Allen? The interiors looked pretty barren late last week.

The developer is more worried about his apartment complex directly behind the commercial right now. I think he has a few signed though, I just cant remember their names...

• 1 month later...

Final Descriptions and Master Plan for WBV as of 7/15/07:

wbvsiteplangq2.jpg

Tenants as of 7/15/07:

Whole Foods Market, Blue Tulip, Wachovia, REI, Old Navy, McCormick & Schmick's, MiMi's Cafe

Final Square Footage as of 7/15/07:

400,000 sf of retail

600,000 sf of office

2 hotels

844 residential units

118 acres

Is it me, or does this plan for WBV look less interesting? This seems so "square" with its grid layout.

Tommy, is Broad Street at the top and Three Chopt at the bottom?

McCormick & Schmick's is a very upscale chain steak house, I think. Never heard of MiMi's Cafe. Maybe nhughes can comment.

What is Blue Tulip?

Thanks for bringing us up to date, Tommy.

I will take the grid layout any day over the rest of SP's loopy roads! :lol:

Yeah, Broad is at the top, and Three Chopt is at the bottom. I think what took so long for things to begin..is that the residents that lived along Three Chopt weren't satisfied with the boundary lines between the road and WBV. They had to re-arrange the lakes to form a 'natural' boundary along most of Three Chopt.

You were close on McCormick & Schmick's. It's a seafood restaurant :P

Archived