Short Pump Developments

TBurban

Some very good news on retail signing for West Broad Village and for Regency Square Mall. It appears a Dave & Busters will be going in West Broad Village which I am very excited for.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...09-24-0045.html

Very impressive. For a mid-size city, it's really going upscale. Having a W brand hotel will surely make Richmond an interesting and hip place to be. Now many young proffesionals will put Richmond on their list of places to consider moving to. Richmond is starting to look like a mini northern va.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive. For a mid-size city, it's really going upscale. Having a W brand hotel will surely make Richmond an interesting and hip place to be. Now many young proffesionals will put Richmond on their list of places to consider moving to. Richmond is starting to look like a mini northern va.

I'm sure that was meant as a compliment Logan but the idea that people will want to start moving here because we have the same chain stores in our suburbs as every other "nice" suburb in the country makes me ill. I for one (and I think many Richmonders would agree) am not a fan of the chain store obsessed suburbia that pervades most newer area/cities like NOVA. Sometimes I feel like one of the few sane people who's shopping and dining habits are dictated by flashy, national ad-campaigns. Give me nice geography, historical architecture, and some truly unique restaurants and shops and I'm a a happy camper.

Im just not a fan of Local Owned restuarants because they all serve weird foods. Plus the whole local owned restaurants are wierd in every possible way. I dont know maybe the only reason I eat at Chain Restaurants is because Im a Picky eater and none of the local restaurants serve food I like. When im talking about me being a Picky Eater I mean I am probably the pickiest eater you could ever think of and thats why I dont eat in the City restaurants. I mean the closest youll get me is Bottoms Up Pizza and Stool Pigeons. But other than that im just not a fan of the elegant restaraunts. I mean theres just too many fancy shmancy restaurants in the city with all there High Profiled Wineries and sandwhiches. Now when you think of me being a Picky eater that means I dont eat. Certain Sandwhiches or Soups and I DO NOT eat fruits or Vegetables. Or Sandwhiches or Soups with Fruits or Vegetables in them. Only Vegetable I will eat is a Potato. I will eat Corn on the Cob occasionally but not very often. Lets just say when I go some where I will either buy me a Steak or a Burger or even sometimes Chicken or other meats or even Pizza.

Im just not a fan of Local Owned restuarants because they all serve weird foods. Plus the whole local owned restaurants are wierd in every possible way. I dont know maybe the only reason I eat at Chain Restaurants is because Im a Picky eater and none of the local restaurants serve food I like. When im talking about me being a Picky Eater I mean I am probably the pickiest eater you could ever think of and thats why I dont eat in the City restaurants. I mean the closest youll get me is Bottoms Up Pizza and Stool Pigeons. But other than that im just not a fan of the elegant restaraunts. I mean theres just too many fancy shmancy restaurants in the city with all there High Profiled Wineries and sandwhiches. Now when you think of me being a Picky eater that means I dont eat. Certain Sandwhiches or Soups and I DO NOT eat fruits or Vegetables. Or Sandwhiches or Soups with Fruits or Vegetables in them. Only Vegetable I will eat is a Potato. I will eat Corn on the Cob occasionally but not very often. Lets just say when I go some where I will either buy me a Steak or a Burger or even sometimes Chicken or other meats or even Pizza.

:rofl: Oh, Joey, you are too much! How about fish? Is that on your picky list as well? And you'd better start eating your veggies young man, or you won't have the strength and stammina to drive around in your new wheels. I'd give anything to see you at LEMAIRE in the Jefferson ordering sweetbreads, creamed spinach, and a big green salad washed down with the finest wine the place has to offer. :lol:

Burt you can laugh all you want but it doesnt bother me a bit. I mean why should it. I mean people have different tastes. Everyone is different burt. I just happen to not like certain things.

Well while I understand your picky taste buds, I would have to say you are missing the point of the local restuarants downtown... THEY HAVE CHARACTER... and Im not just meaning the fancy ones, I am meaning the dirty, grimy, hole-in-the-wall with the best ribs your have ever (EVER!) had... which is something the chains will never have. Locals go there because they get good service, great food, and are off the beaten path of the well-travelled and overdone national chains!

Burt you can laugh all you want but it doesnt bother me a bit. I mean why should it. I mean people have different tastes. Everyone is different burt. I just happen to not like certain things.

Just like baseball... case closed.

I'm sure that was meant as a compliment Logan but the idea that people will want to start moving here because we have the same chain stores in our suburbs as every other "nice" suburb in the country makes me ill. I for one (and I think many Richmonders would agree) am not a fan of the chain store obsessed suburbia that pervades most newer area/cities like NOVA. Sometimes I feel like one of the few sane people who's shopping and dining habits are dictated by flashy, national ad-campaigns. Give me nice geography, historical architecture, and some truly unique restaurants and shops and I'm a a happy camper.

Richmond, IMO, is making strides to accommodate all tastes -- locally owned and operated restaurants as well as National and International chains. Nothing short of a major recession is going to stop the explosive suburban growth and proliferation of big chain options. As Logan points out the availability of recognizable upscale stores and eating places is an attraction for possible transferees to the region. When they arrive and settle in, they, too, will discover the treasures of Carytown, The Slip, The Fan and mid city which do not have budgets for large ad campaigns. The big boy operations, like it or not, have tremendous snob appeal and attract high-paying jobs.

Im just not a fan of Local Owned restuarants because they all serve weird foods. Plus the whole local owned restaurants are wierd in every possible way. I dont know maybe the only reason I eat at Chain Restaurants is because Im a Picky eater and none of the local restaurants serve food I like.

Dear lord, son. What's weird about Comfort or Edo's or Miss Hathaway's or Millie's or The Hill Cafe or Joe's bloody Inn? The fact that they might actually use ingredients that didn't come from a warehouse in the midwest? Trust me, if you've ever seen the tubes of gravy that Cracker Barrel receives from central supply or the bulk wings from beakless, legless chickens that go to your local BW3, you'd thank your lucky stars there are some "weird" places out there.

When im talking about me being a Picky Eater I mean I am probably the pickiest eater you could ever think of and thats why I dont eat in the City restaurants. I mean the closest youll get me is Bottoms Up Pizza and Stool Pigeons. But other than that im just not a fan of the elegant restaraunts. I mean theres just too many fancy shmancy restaurants in the city with all there High Profiled Wineries and sandwhiches. Now when you think of me being a Picky eater that means I dont eat. Certain Sandwhiches or Soups and I DO NOT eat fruits or Vegetables. Or Sandwhiches or Soups with Fruits or Vegetables in them. Only Vegetable I will eat is a Potato. I will eat Corn on the Cob occasionally but not very often. Lets just say when I go some where I will either buy me a Steak or a Burger or even sometimes Chicken or other meats or even Pizza.

Um, you realize that for every "fancy shmancy" city restaurant there's at least 2 or 3 cafes, delis, sleazy dives, etc, right? Look, I'm as picky as they come. I don't eat raw tomato, eggplant, squash, mayonnaise, olives, cucumbers, pickles, oysters or fishy fish, and try to stick to free-range meats as much as possible. If I can find a large pool of serviceable eateries, anyone can.

They've updated their site with an interactive map that lets you zoom in on the master plan. It's hard to read the small print, and it's hard to point out the second hotel. I've requested a larger version of the site plan, but for now the two office towers are at 13 stories, that is a definite/final height..and the full-service hotel(not the 'aloft') is at 12 stories with 4 of them being parking.

The link to the site is here: http://www.westbroadvillage.com/index.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom of that first page, and there is a link to the interactive village map :thumbsup:

They've updated their site with an interactive map that lets you zoom in on the master plan. It's hard to read the small print, and it's hard to point out the second hotel. I've requested a larger version of the site plan, but for now the two office towers are at 13 stories, that is a definite/final height..and the full-service hotel(not the 'aloft') is at 12 stories with 4 of them being parking.

The link to the site is here: http://www.westbroadvillage.com/index.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom of that first page, and there is a link to the interactive village map :thumbsup:

Projects like this need time to get critical mass... it will be interesting to see how long it takes for that point to occur...

• 1 month later...

If I'm not mistaken, the new concrete fire escape towers are for the 5+ story apartments above retail that will be adjacent to Whole Foods.

On a side note, my inquiry on the Hotel Sierra to be built next to SPTC (Dick's) has been answered:

"Thank you for your interest in our new Hotel Sierra in Richmond. We are

under construction and have a projected opening date of March '09. The

hotel will be 6 stories with 134 total suites. For further information

on our Hotel Sierra product, please go to www.hotel-sierra.com or

www.lodgeworks.com."

I haven't been to that section of SPTC in a while..I've been using the main entrance all too much. I'll pass by it tomorrow on my way to work and see if I can snap a few pictures or get an update. More renderings of the hotel have been added to its page on the Lodgeworks website: http://lodgeworks.com/lwcs/hotels_richmond.asp

Short Pump's Sierra Hotel looks as if it will fit in well with its surroundings. Some of the features, judging from the website, look almost resort-ish.

I would gather that, among Sierra's varied properties, the "hotel" line would be tops. What do you think?

Guests will have a large selections of things to do within walking distance -- restaurants ranging from Cheesecake Factory to the mall food court; plenty of upscale shopping; access (I suppose?) to the new health club going up out there, and movies at Regal cinema.

I wonder when McCormick & Schmick's is going to open in West Broad Village? It has a good reputation for sea food in its 88 locations across the country. Another eating option will be Kona's, about which I know zero. Nor am I sure what Dave & Busters is all about.

Wonder if they have tenants for their 13-story office buildings and whether or not the larger of two planned hotels will be a major chain? The aLoft is likely to be a boutique style hostelry under the Starwoods banner.

Archived