Short Pump Developments

TBurban

Trader Joes generally doesn't move into brand new spaces. They tend toward moving into large vacant spaces that aren't exactly prime real estate. There are several spots in the city that would be perfect for one -- what about the train shed below Main Street Station?

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife insists that I ask if a Trader Joe's is in the works for this village or anywhere for that matter. Something about specialty items this and that.

The list is impressive and I hope that Can Can is opening a second location as it would be sad for them to leave the fine space that they have created in Carytown.

I'll keep an ear out for ya. Rumor has it Can Can isn't just opening a new location in WBV, it's also opening one at the restaurant row in Rocketts Landing.

Trader Joes generally doesn't move into brand new spaces. They tend toward moving into large vacant spaces that aren't exactly prime real estate. There are several spots in the city that would be perfect for one -- what about the train shed below Main Street Station?

I think that would be a great location for a Trader Joe's. As Wilder mentioned in the Ask the Mayor column at richmond.com, the city has an RFP out for developers to utilize the train shed and surrounding property. I think they run around 10,000-15,000 square feet, so they would need nearly that much space though (the train shed is something over 150,000 sF).

I think that would be a great location for a Trader Joe's. As Wilder mentioned in the Ask the Mayor column at richmond.com, the city has an RFP out for developers to utilize the train shed and surrounding property. I think they run around 10,000-15,000 square feet, so they would need nearly that much space though (the train shed is something over 150,000 sF).

With proposed residential at M&R, the JM Hotel, Centennial as well as the many apartments that already exist downtown, how about a Trader Joe's in all of the buildings in the block west of Berry Burk, except the corner of 5th and Grace which is occupied by a clothing store?

Keep dreaming, C..keep dreaming :)

WBV is closing in on 50% filled retailers/restaurants/banks, of those includes:

Whole Foods

Linens and Things

Organized Living

Ledo's Pizza

Johnny Rockets

Blue Tulip

Art and Frame Depot

Tsui Asian Fusion

Gordon Biersch

Fig

JC Penney

Ulta

Dress Barn

Walgreens

Can Can

Keagans Pub

Starbucks(2)

Kona Grill

Fidelity

McCormick and Schmicks

First Market Bank

Dave and Busters

CJ Banks

Old Navy

Famous Footwear

Books-A-Million

Subway

Wachovia

Nail Salon

...more to be announced in the coming weeks!

Back to topic, this long list must be worrisome to Short Pump Town Center and all the other "Short Pumps" west of Innsbrook on Broad Street Road.

Why Burt? It's not like they can't and don't co-exist. I don't see anyone going out of buisness out there or leaving vacant spaces. Henrico keeps building its downtown... and there will be many many many many more stuff crammed out there with as long as the general rubberstamp of approval exists.

Ahh, I thought Kroger's relocation was just a rumor but apparently it's all true. Thanks for the new info, and welcome to the forum! Any news on a groundbreaking date?

Dude, SP must be the retail mecca of the world! What the heck!? This place is like Tyson's Corner.

Wow thats stupid, they dont need another kroger when theres one right down the road. Why not get a Wegmans,Piggly Wiggly,Publix or even a Food Giant. Theres way to many grocery stores out there. Besides why did it even have to be a grocery store. Why couldnt it be a different category for the anchor of that shopping center. Yeah this place is becoming tysons corner. I mean what are we gonna be Mall of America in Bloomington MN?

Wow thats stupid, they dont need another kroger when theres one right down the road. Why not get a Wegmans,Piggly Wiggly,Publix or even a Food Giant. Theres way to many grocery stores out there. Besides why did it even have to be a grocery store. Why couldnt it be a different category for the anchor of that shopping center. Yeah this place is becoming tysons corner. I mean what are we gonna be Mall of America in Bloomington MN?

It's a relocation. And Short Pump wouldn't want a Piggy Wiggly, it doesn't sound posh enough, more Deliverance and backwoods hick. Richmond used to have Giant.

If Henrico had any sense, they would press the pause button on development around SP until the dust settles on WBV and SP West and the traffic situation can be assessed with the new improvements.

I agree. Joey has mentioned before how bad traffic is going to be on Broad Street compared to how horrible it already is. In all reality, its probably already too late to fix the roads to handle all the growth. Widening Broad will become more and more expensive because of the value of the land and buildings that would need to be condemned for widening. The road design is not efficient because the vast majority of vehicles must get on Broad to get around in Short Pump. Broad will become so choked between 288 and 64 that many people will start shopping somewhere else. This will cause some businesses to close and eventually, a tolerable level of congestion will be achieved. And while I don't think entire developments (such as West Broad Village) will be boarded up in 20 years, I don't think Short Pump will be the hotspot it is now. Not unless an incredible amount of infrastructural improvement is invested in that area, including parking garages, road widening and perhaps some sort of viable mass transit.

I remember before short pump even existed they were going to make Interstate 295 a complete loop kinda like 495 in DC. But the Walmart at Short Pump was in the way to make 295 go all the way around in a complete circle. Who knows 295 might of actually been able to go into chesterfield. I really do think its kinda late to fix traffic in short pump. It will just get worse and worse with people driving from other parts of town to come to short pump.

The Federal Government was willing to fund an extension of 295 into Chesterfield, connecting up with I-95 again into a loop, but the feds preferred route would have cut right through Salisbury and a number of other established residential neighborhoods in Chesterfield (so as to avoid a number of wetlands). The state rejected the route and instead built 288 using (predominantly?) state funding.

Archived