Albuquerque, New Mexico

Mith242

I was out in New Mexico last week visiting family. I took a few shots around Albuquerque although I must admit they aren't the best shots or views of the city. My family generally prefer rural life so I didn't get around Albuquerque as much as I would like but I thought I'd share a few pics. Albuquerque isn't particularly built up, it's the more typical western city that is spread out. The first group of pics is from the volcanoes on the West Mesa which as the name implies is west of the city. A bit far out and you don't get to see the city very well. In the first pic you can see the part of theSandia Mtns on the left background and just the edge of the Manzano Mtns on the right. Both have peaks over 10,000 ft. The second pic is a zoom in on the downtown area. The third has a volcanis rock in the foreground and the fourth shows a bit more of the Sandia Mtns with the northern part of the city.

117850402_3704088745_o.jpg

117850401_976bf4f9a6_o.jpg

117850403_dcc7c9e9c7_o.jpg

117850407_bd21836698_o.jpg

I'll post some more pics in the near future. :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another group of pics, mainly taken from I-40. Once again not exactly the greatest views of the city. Thought I'd throw out a little info while I'm at it. I generally see the city population listed around 450,000 to 500,000 and the metro around 750,000 to 800,000. Most of the city is close to the same elevation of Denver. Some areas around the Rio Grande River lie just below 5,000 ft with some of the outskirts around 5,300 to 5,400 ft. But anyway back to the pics. The first pic is from I-40 coming down the West Mesa looking east towards the city and the andia Mtns in the background. Then the next two pics are of the Big 'I', the intersection of I-40 and I-25. The third is another shot from I-40 looking towards the Sandia Mtns. The last is a bad shot I tried to take of some of the downtown buildings. I had to stick my camera above the fence at the zoo to get it and as you can see it didn't work out too well.

118218911_c7d54c2b52_o.jpg

118236385_e523c3cfc4_o.jpg

118218914_5054a776a8_o.jpg

118218919_4810c583ca_o.jpg

118224261_6683dae009_o.jpg

I'll post some shots of an area of the city called Old Town in the near future.

Here's some shots around Old Town. It's the original downtown area of town. But when the railroad came it drew development away from this area so it was never built up. I'll mention some more info about Albuquerque. It was founded in 1706 almost a hundred years after Santa Fe. It was named after the Duke of Alburquerque in Spain. Over time the first r was dropped. It pretty much remained a dusty little town till the railroad came in and it eventually overtook the older towns like Santa Fe and Bernalillo. The first few pics are of the adobe style of architecture found in New Mexico. Then there's a couple of pics of the center plaza where the gazebo is. There's also a couple of Civil War canons. There was a small battle/skirmish fought here.

img3000ss6fr.jpg

img3001ss7id.jpg

118261162_2a0b41b797_o.jpg

118261163_46fe2660a9_o.jpg

118261165_4f17982782_o.jpg

118275051_c474bdbfe1_o.jpg

118275053_bc9cc06993_o.jpg

A little later I'll have some pics of the centerpiece of Old Town, the San Felipe de Neri Mission Church.

Here's some pics of the San Felipe de Nero Mission Church in Old Town. It was orginally built in 1706 but it eventually fell into disrepair and was rebuilt in 1793.

118285276_01daab4e36_o.jpg

118285277_5affd6ffbe_o.jpg

118285279_5f0789db1e_o.jpg

118285280_07cef27799_o.jpg

img3010ss7on.jpg

I believe I have a few more pics to post later, including a few around Taos.

Finally getting around to posting a few more pics. I posted one of these earlier in the Pic o' the Day topic. Anyway here's some shots of Albuquerque in the evening from Sandia Crest. Still surprises me to see how small it looks. Certainly doesn't look like a city of 500,000. But when you're above 10,600 ft I suppose a lot of things look pretty small. :lol: In the second pic you can see a plane I managed to get in the shot as well. I'll certainly have to go back next time I'm out there. Maybe I won't have to worry about clouds and wind as much. Even with a tripod a number of my pics turned out a bit blurry from the strong winds that night.

118292227_aec4d306fb_o.jpg

119971784_24fa04a4de_o.jpg

119971783_ac15fd0905_o.jpg

119971781_0f9ce5880c_o.jpg

Those are some beautiful shots of Albuquerque!! I love the southwest feel.

Thanks, interesting that I'm starting to see some Albuquerque ads pop up on here now. I wish I had spent a little more time in the city and had more pics. I have just a few around Taos I guess I could get around to posting sometime.

Yeah 1860 seems pretty old for that area. Although I admit I don't really know how old Boise is. I wish I had stopped by Santa Fe and took a few pics. There's some really old buildings there. The Palace of Governors was started around 1609 I believe and parts of it still exist.

Great pictures, Mith! Thanks for posting them! You don't often get to see pics of Albuquerque. You can really see the history.

I love the pics of the tcity at night from far away. It looks like little veins of gold running through the desert. Oddly fitting for the area.

Yep they are beautiful, thanks for sharing. I've never really spent any time in this city other than passing through, getting something to eat, and gas. From what I've seen, it looks like a fast growing city with all of the new homes I see being built. It certainly don't feel, or look like a city of 500,000, but again I've only seen parts of it. The natural beauty in this region is breathtaking, I would like to one day spend a little more time there, and hopefully find some good New Mexico/Southwest style mexican food like my dads family make.

Those are some pretty highways.

Yeah I've been surprised just how nice the roadways being built in New Mexico are. Other areas have even nicer ones like Santa Fe. Although I admit the 'paintings' they have aren't quite to my taste. But how often you you see that along roadways? Maybe other areas do this and I just haven't driven through those areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pics! I did a little reserch online about the city and to my suprise they are starting up a rail line. It's called the New Mexico Runner and from my understanding, it's going to be in operation sometime this summer, July I think. I can't belive the city pulled this one on us, really great news especially for a city such as itself.

Nice pics! I did a little reserch online about the city and to my suprise they are starting up a rail line. It's called the New Mexico Runner and from my understanding, it's going to be in operation sometime this summer, July I think. I can't belive the city pulled this one on us, really great news especially for a city such as itself.

Yep, I posted some info about it over on the US West forum. I included a link to it. It looks interesting. It should be up and running when I go back out there to visit in the fall. I'm hoping I get a chance to check it out. I hope it does well and they do extend it at some point up to Santa Fe. I haven't heard any news on this but if everything works well maybe they'd even consider extending it up to Taos.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23579

I can't believe I'm just now finding this thread. Those are some cool photos overall, but I absolutely love the pics from above. I'm real into those types of photos, especially at night when a city/metro is all lit up. Ever seen Chicago at night in satellite photos? Absolutely an amazing sight.

I can't believe I'm just now finding this thread. Those are some cool photos overall, but I absolutely love the pics from above. I'm real into those types of photos, especially at night when a city/metro is all lit up. Ever seen Chicago at night in satellite photos? Absolutely an amazing sight.

I wish more of those pics had come out. But it was so windy up there and I guess my tripod wasn't set really good into the snow. I didn't realize until I put the pics on a computer that many of the were blurry. Oh well I have family there so I'll go back again sometime.

Great pics. I don't get to see many pics of Albuquerque. I really like the skyline shots from West Mesa, and of the city at night.

The interestate interchanges and bridges were really nice looking with their western flair.

Thanks again for taking the time to post so many great photos!

Great pics. I don't get to see many pics of Albuquerque. I really like the skyline shots from West Mesa, and of the city at night.

The interestate interchanges and bridges were really nice looking with their western flair.

Thanks again for taking the time to post so many great photos!

Thanks, just glad some people enjoyed them. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Still surprises me to see how small it looks. Certainly doesn't look like a city of 500,000. But when you're above 10,600 ft I suppose a lot of things look pretty small.

Oh it looks even smaller than you think...you're only 5000 feet above the city, not 10,000. Albuquerque is already 5000 feet up.

Oh it looks even smaller than you think...you're only 5000 feet above the city, not 10,000. Albuquerque is already 5000 feet up.

Yep, sorry if I condused anyone. Yeah Albuquerque is about as high up as Denver is.

Great pics Mith242! I have always wanted to see more photos of this city. I look forward to more photos if you get the chance.

I love the western feel of these type of cities.

I've got some Taos pics I haven't posted yet. Of course Taos is rather small and certainly nothing like Albuquerque. I wasn't sure if there was a lot of interest in such a small town. But I can try to post some of those pics in the near future.

I would like to see those Taos pictures. I love small towns!

Sure thing. I'll try to get to it sometime in the next few days. I recently went on a trip and took quite a few pics of Hot Springs and Little Rock that I'm also trying to get posted over on the Arkansas forum. But I will get to it. :D

Archived