CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Isn't there the old Sears on Stone Av? I think it was a Canal Insurance before I moved away. That would be optimum for a redevelopment.

Great idea. The city has been putting together the Stone Avenue plan....not sure if you have seen the renderings in that thread. This would work well with that plan. I bet Canal owns the building though and pays little to no rent....anyone know? :dontknow:

Isn't there the old Sears on Stone Av? I think it was a Canal Insurance before I moved away. That would be optimum for a redevelopment.

On the Stone Avenue Corridor web site there's a photo of the building from back when it was a Sears store:

http://www.planstoneavenue.org/study-area/about-stone-avenue/sears-building-currently-canal-insurance/

I've been in that location. It's like in an old Montgomery Ward or Sears office / warehouse building. Great old building. :thumbsup: Really would be cool if Greenville had this type of building close into the city, available for redevelopment.

Funny, I actually worked in the Landmark Center building for a summer when I was doing research in Boston. I went in that REI a couple of times too. And I lived in Brookline Village, which is right up the T's green line from Landmark Center. Small world. :good:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just heard from a reliable source that Cheesecake Factory has purchased/leased a parcel of land directly in front of the Rooms To Go main entrance. Can anyone verify?

10 years ago this would have been very exciting, but the quality has gone down so much over the last few years it's a shame. We went to the one in Charlotte for my wife's b'day and it was terrible. Nevertheless, the cache' of the name is good for our city, I suppose.

10 years ago this would have been very exciting, but the quality has gone down so much over the last few years it's a shame. We went to the one in Charlotte for my wife's b'day and it was terrible. Nevertheless, the cache' of the name is good for our city, I suppose.

The cheesecakes are good. Everything else is really hit or miss. Even though the menu is not as extensive, I much prefer Firebirds.

Based on my experiences there, it's okay. The cheesecake is amazing, however, the food is nothing to write home about. It's not bad, but it's not special either. The service tends to be very good. The one at Streets at SouthPoint and Buckhead had good service but the one at the Mall at Millenia didn't have very good service.

Just heard from a reliable source that Cheesecake Factory has purchased/leased a parcel of land directly in front of the Rooms To Go main entrance. Can anyone verify?

Well, they were listed on the original site plan so it wouldn't be suprise me. However, I am kind of suprised they would move forward with construction on one of their restaurants there before the rest of the mixed-use development is under construction/lands more tenants.

• 1 month later...

So what is RPX?

RPX involves converting individual screens into premium environments. The upgraded theaters will feature “luxurious” seats that have high-back head rests. The theaters will also have large 60 foot wide immersive screens and dual 30,000 lumen digital projectors capable of showing Real 3D and 2D movies. They will also be equipped with state-of-the-art 100,000 watt 9.1 digital audio speaker systems with 273 loudspeaker components including eight 21 inch subwoofers.

Source: http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/90333319.html

Where did you hear that cheddar's is coming?? I couldn't find it on the Magnolia website. Its exciting that something is happening there. The restaurant's website looks pretty nice.

From a commercial real estate agent I know. It will be on the city's planning commission's agenda for approval in October.

Where did you hear that cheddar's is coming?? I couldn't find it on the Magnolia website. Its exciting that something is happening there. The restaurant's website looks pretty nice.

my friend owns all the cheddar's in georgia.they are good.the 2 here in my area are allways packed no matter what time it is.cost wise it's cheap for a sit down restaurant.

• 4 weeks later...

Any word yet on Cheesecake Factory and/or Cheddars? It would be great to see something, ANYTHING positive going on at Magnolia. Not looking good with all the "defections" from the initial plans, i.e.: Apple, Trader Joe's, etc.

Cheddar's should be starting construction before the end of the year; most likely in November sometime. I have heard nothing regarding Cheesecake Factory. I know they were looking at MPTC but that was before the recession hit.

Any word yet on Cheesecake Factory and/or Cheddars?

An application for approval of the final development plan for the Cheddar's site on Woodruff Rd. was included on the Oct. 14 Planning Commission agenda. Site plan and elevation drawings are included in the application, which you can view at http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2010/OCTOBER/PlanningCommission/10-14-2010/Z-21-2010-1025WoodruffRoad.pdf The staff recommended approval with conditions. I do not know what action was taken at the meeting.

Edited by RiverWalker

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by the old Monkey Ward building tonight and found myself wondering whether the SuperPlay USA project will ever get off the ground (like so many other promised MPTC projects). In a press release dated back on Feb. 11, 2010, Rick Albertson, director of real estate for The Frank Entertainment Companies, said the building's owner had to complete its work and then "turn the space over to us prior to us doing our work."

"Once the space is turned over," he said, "we can complete our work in 90-120 days."

It's been more than twice that time span and we've neither seen nor heard anything further. Is this just another Menin mirage?

I drove by the old Monkey Ward building tonight and found myself wondering whether the SuperPlay USA project will ever get off the ground (like so many other promised MPTC projects). In a press release dated back on Feb. 11, 2010, Rick Albertson, director of real estate for The Frank Entertainment Companies, said the building's owner had to complete its work and then "turn the space over to us prior to us doing our work."

"Once the space is turned over," he said, "we can complete our work in 90-120 days."

It's been more than twice that time span and we've neither seen nor heard anything further. Is this just another Menin mirage?

Personally, i'm hoping it is another mirage. I would love to see the old Montgomery Ward and current Sports Authority buildings on site torn down to make way for a real mixed use development. Having Superplay USA stall is a winner in my book.