CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Haven't been around on these forums for a while but when I heard about Cabela's, I was curious to see how the plans for Magnolia Park are looking now. The new plan is crap, but am I the only one that thinks the size of the Dave & Busters looks incredibly small?

I've been to D&B in other cities and at least the one in Gwinnett County, GA, is probably closer to the size of the Cabela's location. Are we getting some sort of scaled-down, wimpified version of D&B? Even Gattitown, I'm sure, is much larger than what appears in these plans.

Haven't been around on these forums for a while but when I heard about Cabela's, I was curious to see how the plans for Magnolia Park are looking now. The new plan is crap, but am I the only one that thinks the size of the Dave & Busters looks incredibly small?

I've been to D&B in other cities and at least the one in Gwinnett County, GA, is probably closer to the size of the Cabela's location. Are we getting some sort of scaled-down, wimpified version of D&B? Even Gattitown, I'm sure, is much larger than what appears in these plans.

For the most part, all of the new D&B 's tend to be around that size. It's part of their new next generation prototype.

Oh why couldn't a real developer like Simon have taken over this project and build what was promised? Talk about depressing. No wonder it's raining outside. Next announced tenants will probably be a gas station, check cashing place, cheap beauty supply store, and a dollar store.

**You can find some good email contacts on the left side of this page if you care: Review Planning and Zoning Applications**

For the most part, all of the new D&B 's tend to be around that size. It's part of their new next generation prototype.

Thanks, I'll be curious to see what these "new" stores look like since I've only been to a few of their first locations.

As for the project itself, it is pretty disheartening. How many more "strip mall" style stores do we need in this area? Doesn't look like the plan would be conducive to even luring things like the long-rumored Cheesecake Factory (which, I know is probably now a pipe dream anyway).

There's a glut of small tenant business locations with many sitting empty -- even on Woodruff Road. So long town center concept....

As much as people complain about Greenridge, it's starting to look like a work of art compared to this IMO.

Edited by awp69

I would have loved to see a town center as well but you do realize this has been a dead mall and eyesore for 10+ years?  The property changed hands multiple times and Menin is the only company that has made anything happen out there.  It is very positive for our city to bring in new tenants to the market and state such as Cabela's, Dave & Busters and some of the other tenants that are rumored to be coming.  Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed with the new site plan but just saying we should be a lot more positive since there is practically no new retail development going on across the country.     

While that is true, I'd rather wait another 10 years and get something quality, mixed-use, and appropriate for a piece of land that is zoned for Planned Development. Menin will get money for their atrocious development either way, and we will be forced to live with the results forever (or until a competent developer with a vision can remedy this mistake).

Serves people right for not shopping at Greenville Mall.  The 2nd incarnation of it in 1995 was very, very nice, and it had a slew of nicer stores in it, such as Parisian.

Sadly, I'd say that Magnolia Park will probably do OK now.  Costco and Cabela's and that movie theater are pretty strong anchors.

Odd that Sports Authority survived Greenville Mall's demolition but now it's closing?

And JB White, which always did well, becoming a Dillard's was a disaster- why shop at the Greenville Mall Dillard's when there was a better Dillard's about a mile away at Haywood?  I recall that the store was pretty much empty from the start.

Either way, the 2nd Greenville Mall was MUCH more upscale than Magnolia Park.   I am certainly NOT saying that replacing Greenville Mall with Magnolia Park is like replacing Phipps Plaza with a Walmart, but it's in the same direction.

Edited by mallguy

Get real, folks. This is the reality of the retail world, today. The so-called "Life Style" tenants are not expanding. Cabela's will be a huge sales generator and thus economic "driver." I have met the Menin people. Their site plan still anticipates a restaurant/entertainment component around the theatre. Look at the plan as "transitional" from the large wholesale box at the west end, transitioning to a traditional power center, then melding into the entertainment "zone." The road-front retail is under construction. Quality restaurants are being added. We should be thrilled to have special national tenants such as Cabela's and Dave & Busters, plus the relocation and expansion of Toys and Rooms. Cheddars is a great fit for the market. Firebirds and Bad Daddy's are great Charlotte-based concepts. Stay tuned. These guys are not done.

Get real, folks. This is the reality of the retail world, today. The so-called "Life Style" tenants are not expanding. Cabela's will be a huge sales generator and thus economic "driver." I have met the Menin people. Their site plan still anticipates a restaurant/entertainment component around the theatre. Look at the plan as "transitional" from the large wholesale box at the west end, transitioning to a traditional power center, then melding into the entertainment "zone." The road-front retail is under construction. Quality restaurants are being added. We should be thrilled to have special national tenants such as Cabela's and Dave & Busters, plus the relocation and expansion of Toys and Rooms. Cheddars is a great fit for the market. Firebirds and Bad Daddy's are great Charlotte-based concepts. Stay tuned. These guys are not done.

Stores such as Anthropologie are...in other locations. 

Even if they weren't, Magnolia Park could be MUCH better-designed.  It doesn't require an elegant tenant to have an amazing center with great design.  Most of Greenridge is mediocre tenants, but it has A+-grade architecture in most of it, with great-looking brickwork and the like.  Plus the layout of ANY shopping center can be pedestrian-friendly.

Serves people right for not shopping at Greenville Mall. The 2nd incarnation of it in 1995 was very, very nice, and it had a slew of nicer stores in it, such as Parisian.

Sadly, I'd say that Magnolia Park will probably do OK now. Costco and Cabela's and that movie theater are pretty strong anchors.

Odd that Sports Authority survived Greenville Mall's demolition but now it's closing?

I wouldn't put the blame squarely on the citizens. The mall just had some serious bad luck with a lot of its tenants either going bankrupt or being bought out along with Haywood Mall being located nearby.

They aren't expanding? You mean to tell me that Anthropologie, Forever 21, and Brooks Brothers aren't expanding although they are all coming to Greenville? What about Apple, Sephora, Trader Joe's, REI, and L'occataine? Surely they didn't come to Greenville over the last few years. Menin could have easily landed any of these tenants and lots more for their project but didn't. They have nobody to blame for this disaster but themselves. Oh and I can't tell you how thrilled I am about Toys R Us/Babies R Us coming and leaving even more empty space along Haywood Road while creating more traffic that can't handle it along Woodruff Road. Look at the excitement on my face.

Edited by gman430

Amen to Hans.  Bunch of complainers around here.  First we are bashing Menin for not doing anything in 5 years and now that a real project is moving forward we are up in arms.  This project will be a definite step up from Greenridge from the amount of new and unique tenants making their entries into South Carolina to the design and pedestrian experience.  Not sure if you all noticed on their website but they recently hired world-renowned architects Design 3 International.  Check out the list of projects they have done in the US and abroad.  I think all of the naysayers will be eating their words (and become frequent vistors no less) when this project is done.  http://d3i-usa.com/index.html

Amen to Hans.  Bunch of complainers around here.  First we are bashing Menin for not doing anything in 5 years and now that a real project is moving forward we are up in arms.  This project will be a definite step up from Greenridge from the amount of new and unique tenants making their entries into South Carolina to the design and pedestrian experience.  Not sure if you all noticed on their website but they recently hired world-renowned architects Design 3 International.  Check out the list of projects they have done in the US and abroad.  I think all of the naysayers will be eating their words (and become frequent vistors no less) when this project is done.  http://d3i-usa.com/index.html

There is ZERO pedestrian emphasis with this latest site plan. The pedestrian experience on this site is now going to consist of dodging cars, and crossing a sea of hot asphalt. Hopefully the City denies this "Planned Development". I don't want to new retailers in the market if this is the way they have to enter. I question the integrity of whomever laid out this latest iteration. 

Really? You like Greenridge pedestrian experience better? You like the one vehicular entrance? Somebody is investing a huge amount in the Cabela's store. Bass Pro came into town and asked for some enormous amount of "support." I have heard nothing of any requested incentives for what must be a, what, $25-30 mm investment? I started posting here because it bothers me when "idealists" with no financial stake/risk criticize people who are making a huge investment in our City.

What people seem to be forgetting about is the increased traffic this store will cause. How is Woodruff Road supposed to handle more traffic if it can't even handle the amount it has now?

Amen to Hans. Bunch of complainers around here. First we are bashing Menin for not doing anything in 5 years and now that a real project is moving forward we are up in arms. This project will be a definite step up from Greenridge from the amount of new and unique tenants making their entries into South Carolina to the design and pedestrian experience. Not sure if you all noticed on their website but they recently hired world-renowned architects Design 3 International. Check out the list of projects they have done in the US and abroad. I think all of the naysayers will be eating their words (and become frequent vistors no less) when this project is done. http://d3i-usa.com/index.html

Design 3's plans were for the town center. Those have been scraped for the most part to make way for Cabela's.

Really? You like Greenridge pedestrian experience better? You like the one vehicular entrance? Somebody is investing a huge amount in the Cabela's store. Bass Pro came into town and asked for some enormous amount of "support." I have heard nothing of any requested incentives for what must be a, what, $25-30 mm investment? I started posting here because it bothers me when "idealists" with no financial stake/risk criticize people who are making a huge investment in our City.

Just because a local citizen doesn't have a financial stake or risk in a project doesn't mean they can't express their opinion and have a say on how it goes. That's why the planning commission's meetings are public and open for comments.

Edited by gman430