CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Seems to me traffic will be reduced since people will be staying in Cabela's for hours!!

That makes no sense. People still have to drive on Woodruff Road to get to and from the store. With all of the out of town visitors coming to see the store who have never been on Woodruff Road before, you can bet there will be more cars and more traffic.

Really? You like Greenridge pedestrian experience better? You like the one vehicular entrance? Somebody is investing a huge amount in the Cabela's store. Bass Pro came into town and asked for some enormous amount of "support." I have heard nothing of any requested incentives for what must be a, what, $25-30 mm investment? I started posting here because it bothers me when "idealists" with no financial stake/risk criticize people who are making a huge investment in our City.

Who said anything about Greenridge being the ideal pedestrian environment? And, I will criticize this development and any others like it when I have to live with its results.

Really? You like Greenridge pedestrian experience better?

Are you asking me, or is this a rhetorical question?

Greenridge has better ARCHITECTURAL QUALITY.  That does not mean that I like Greenridge's pedestrian experience better; it's not pedestrian-friendly either.  Both Magnolia Park and Greenridge could be laid out much better.

Another tenant revealed for Magnolia Park: http://www.tobykeithusa.com/

Lol okay! This place may the best area for nightlife on Woodruff. The Ale House, movies, this bar, and Dave & Busters. Maybe more of those type announcements are coming. I wish they could at least put some apartments in this development. People wouldn't mind living next to this stuff and being able to walk to entertainment. Plus it would give this project a little more density and credibility. 

Lol okay! This place may the best area for nightlife on Woodruff. The Ale House, movies, this bar, and Dave & Busters. Maybe more of those type announcements are coming. I wish they could at least put some apartments in this development. People wouldn't mind living next to this stuff and being able to walk to entertainment. Plus it would give this project a little more density and credibility. 
Is there really a residential market out there right now?

I thought I read Menin was considering residential early-on. Maybe some officenaboventhe retail? I have seen that work in some developments. That would add some of your density component.
My information is there is neither residences or office right now, but office being strongly considered. They showed the City some 3-dimensional models, or video, or something, with some high rise components...may have been a hotel.

My information is there is neither residences or office right now, but office being strongly considered. They showed the City some 3-dimensional models, or video, or something, with some high rise components...may have been a hotel.

The high rise hotel is slated to get built on the left side of Hollywood 20 above the retail that will be on the ground floor.

Edited by gman430

The high rise hotel is slated to get built on the left side of Hollywood 20 above the retail that will be on the ground floor.
GMan, You seem to have great intel. If they really add a hotel, some office and a couple of more unique restaurant and entertainment venues to the mix, we might actually have something....Downtown is only "OK" IMHO and Greenridge offers nothing in terms of night-out options. Cabelas visit (I actually like to browse in those kinds of stores for clothes, not guns!!), then a movie and then dinner.....drinks and live music at Toby Keith's. Where else is that happening within a couple of hours from here....

Every redneck within driving distance will be itching to go to Magnolia Park now with the updated tenant line-up.   Disgraceful, although it'll probably do fine as a shopping center.
Not so sure about the redneck part, Mallguy. I am originally from Europe and spent some time in L.A. I love the Cabela's type of store....and country music. Any idea of the average sale at Cabelas or Bass Pro? The numbers per-sale and overall are very impressive. Much higher volume than even an upscale mall anchor. The total retail sales at Magnolia will be huge. Yeah, with Costco, Toys, CABELA'S and theatre they draw "everyman," but that also includes the uppity folks who buy the most expensive sporting equipment and toys for their kids/grand kids. Add in the volume at the theatre and think about that "holistic" dynamic. The restaurants and retailers we have never been able to attract will assuredly take notice. Heading off to an office event. "See" you all Monday.

Not gonna lie. When it comes to nightlife/entertainment options, Menin does get an A ranking from me. Hollywood 20, Dave & Busters, Carolina Ale House, Bad Daddy's, Cabela's, and Toby Keith's...Magnolia Park is turning into a mini CityWalk: http://www.universalorlando.com/Nightlife/Citywalk-Nightlife.aspx

Not so sure about the redneck part, Mallguy. I am originally from Europe and spent some time in L.A. I love the Cabela's type of store....and country music. Any idea of the average sale at Cabelas or Bass Pro? The numbers per-sale and overall are very impressive. Much higher volume than even an upscale mall anchor. The total retail sales at Magnolia will be huge. Yeah, with Costco, Toys, CABELA'S and theatre they draw "everyman," but that also includes the uppity folks who buy the most expensive sporting equipment and toys for their kids/grand kids. Add in the volume at the theatre and think about that "holistic" dynamic. The restaurants and retailers we have never been able to attract will assuredly take notice. Heading off to an office event. "See" you all Monday.

As I said, the shopping center will probably do fine financially since it will attract rednecks, and there are plenty of them around (although the east side of Greenville doesn't have many).

However, the first thing that some visitors to Greenville will see will be a Toby Keith bar, a Rooms to Go and the like, given the shopping center's proximity to the I-85 and I-385 interchange.  That's a bad first impression to make to people visiting Greenville and considering bringing jobs and investment there.  Why don't we just put a big strip club and a car junkyard along I-85?

I had no idea who Toby Keith was until I looked him up on Wikipedia.  Surely he's a good guy, but the demographic is not what I'd want Greenville to project.  Upper-income people are generally not attracted to that (you may be the exception and I'll give you a pass since you're European; I have studied and worked in France, Austria and Belgium and I recall being intrigued by things that were novelties to me but that the natives didn't care for).

Edited by mallguy

As I said, the shopping center will probably do fine financially since it will attract rednecks, and there are plenty of them around (although the east side of Greenville doesn't have many).   However, the first thing that some visitors to Greenville will see will be a Toby Keith bar, a Rooms to Go and the like, given the shopping center's proximity to the I-85 and I-385 interchange.  That's a bad first impression to make to people visiting Greenville and considering bringing jobs and investment there.  Why don't we just put a big strip club and a car junkyard along I-85?   I had no idea who Toby Keith was until I looked him up on Wikipedia.  Surely he's a good guy, but the demographic is not what I'd want Greenville to project.  Upper-income people are generally not attracted to that (you may be the exception and I'll give you a pass since you're European; I have studied and worked in France, Austria and Belgium and I recall being intrigued by things that were novelties to me but that the natives didn't care for).
Hans seems to have gone off-line on us. We are in FL right now, will be back in G-Ville mid-Feb. may take a look at some of these projects Menin is so proud of in Florida. What is their website? I am not at a real computer right now.....