CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

New site plan on page 7: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/SEPTEMBER/PlanningCommission/09-12-2013/FDP-13-192-1025WoodruffRoad.pdf Dave and Busters will be going in next to the parking garage along I-385. 

Looking at the plan, I'm not seeing that anywhere that it mentions Dave and Busters being next to the parking garage. The first sentence mentions that the original proposal included the parking garage and D&B next to the movie theater. But now it says the latest version has the parking garage and "a new building" behind the theater. It doesn't specify D&B.

I hope that doesn't mean D&B is gone from the plans. That was probably the only thing I was really looking forward to having around here. Of course, I wouldn't mind if they built it elsewhere, but I hope it hasn't been scrapped completely from the D&B's plans for Greenville.

Honestly would have rather have had a more full-fledged D&B in the old Gattitown space rather than a freakin' shooting range (how redneck does that make Greenville look?).

Edited by awp69

Honestly would have rather have had a more full-fledged D&B in the old Gattitown space rather than a freakin' shooting range (how redneck does that make Greenville look?).

It's doesnt make Greenville look redneck at all. The demographics in Greenville for those of us that like to shoot guns is huge and far exceeds your narrow opinion of the pace.

There is one in Manhattan.  It's somewhere on the far West Side, I think.  It's pretty invisible to tourists and the like-not in as high a profile location as the Greenville one discussed above.

I don't consider a gun range on a busy retail corridor in the 'burbs as "high profile."  It's not like the gun range is part of the One development or RiverPlace.

It's doesnt make Greenville look redneck at all. The demographics in Greenville for those of us that like to shoot guns is huge and far exceeds your narrow opinion of the pace.

Im sure even NYC has gun ranges...

There is one in Manhattan.  It's somewhere on the far West Side, I think.  It's pretty invisible to tourists and the like-not in as high a profile location as the Greenville one discussed above.

I don't consider a gun range on a busy retail corridor in the 'burbs as "high profile."  It's not like the gun range is part of the One development or RiverPlace.

Alright, alright. Sorry if I offended anyone. There are probably more guns per capita in NYC LOL.

Guess it seemed a little out of place is all in relation to the retail/restaurant development going on around it.

Edited by awp69

I checked, and the Manhattan rifle range is on West 20th Street, which is not "high profile" but isn't out in the boondocks, either.

My concern with the location in Greenville is that it's one of now several "redneck" things that are all around the Woodruff Road/I-385/I-85 intersection, which is certainly a very visible part of town.  If you drive into town and see multiple venues with a "redneck" appeal, that's BAD.

Woodruff Road has never been a "redneck" area so I don't get why they're all flocking there, except perhaps its easy I-85 and I-385 access?

Edited by mallguy

My concern with the location in Greenville is that it's one of now several "redneck" things that are all around the Woodruff Road/I-385/I-85 intersection, which is certainly a very visible part of town.  If you drive into town and see multiple venues with a "redneck" appeal, that's BAD.

^ Spot on. An intersection that started to transform into a solid upscale area (or so it seemed) several years back, is definitely starting to have redneck appeal. Cracker Barrel, Rooms to Go, Toby Keith's restaurant, the gun range, etc. Cabela's at least, draws a demographic of a more middle to upper middle outdoors enthusiast.....could have been much worse and been Bass Pro, which is redneck central.

^ Spot on. An intersection that started to transform into a solid upscale area (or so it seemed) several years back, is definitely starting to have redneck appeal. Cracker Barrel, Rooms to Go, Toby Keith's restaurant, the gun range, etc. Cabela's at least, draws a demographic of a more middle to upper middle outdoors enthusiast.....could have been much worse and been Bass Pro, which is redneck central.

There is nothing wrong with these stores, this comment is pretty redneck to me. It's just as shortsighted. To say it nicely.

Geez. Sorry I went down the "redneck" path. I don't consider even Cabela's to be redneck. And the other places mentioned also aren't either.

Guess my feeling was just that the gun range (yes, even if it has a store) feels out of place with what's being built around it. And while I know plenty of non-rednecks that love to shoot guns (my father-in-law included), I just don't think it gives a good first impression of Greenville. Yes, downtown is what really should impress people about G'ville. But the main exit for people to stop off to get a bite to eat, go to a hotel or even just do some regional shopping and one of the huge signs on Woodruff Road is for a gun range, I don't know, it just isn't what I would want the area to be remembered for -- and since it is out of place, IMO, it is something that may be remembered.

Yes, downtown is what really should impress people about G'ville. But the main exit for people to stop off to get a bite to eat, go to a hotel or even just do some regional shopping and one of the huge signs on Woodruff Road is for a gun range, I don't know, it just isn't what I would want the area to be remembered for -- and since it is out of place, IMO, it is something that may be remembered.

Agreed.  People from outside-particularly the Northeast- are just itching for anything to validate their impressions of the South as redneck-land, and a gun range + that country bar + low-end retail are just what will do that.

Maybe someone could put up a billboard with a picture of the former Greenville Mall, with the nice stores, and say, "Here's what USED to be here"?

I don't usually reply to these types of threads but that is an unfair characterization of northerners. Some of us like the south and the people that are here more than where they're from. I was more excited about Palmetto State Armory than lot of southerners I know.

Sorry, my post was overly broad.  SOME people from outside act as per my post.  I live in NYC and most people are complimentary about the South, but some aren't.  Example: when the new Miss America was, shamefully, the victim of racist comments, I heard people I see every day say, "Oh, those must have all come from the South"- right in front of me!

Edited by mallguy

DXL will be going in next to Toys R Us on the left. Tucanos (right side) and Toby Keith's (left side) will be going in front of Hollywood 20. Yard House will be going in between Toby Keith's and Cheddar's. Dave and Buster's will border I-385 behind Hollywood 20. Allen Tate, Babaziki, HuHot, and unreadable tenant will be going in the same long building as Firebirds and Bad Daddy's.