CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

• 1 month later...

Browsing the Magnolia Park web site, I ran across this, which is dated today, Nov. 8. I don't recall anyone previously mentioning Nordstrom Rack as having been signed, although many have been wishing for one...

"Joining open retailers and restaurants Costco, Regal Cinemas, Toys R Us/Babies R US, Rooms to Go, Cheddars, Firebirds and Jared’s will be Cabela’s, Nordstrom Rack, Golfsmith, Yard House, Tucanos Brazilian Grill, and Destination XL."

http://www.magnoliapark.com/menin-announces-new-additions-magnolia-park/#&panel1-1

Browsing the Magnolia Park web site, I ran across this, which is dated today, Nov. 8. I don't recall anyone previously mentioning Nordstrom Rack as having been signed, although many have been wishing for one...

"Joining open retailers and restaurants Costco, Regal Cinemas, Toys R Us/Babies R US, Rooms to Go, Cheddars, Firebirds and Jared’s will be Cabela’s, Nordstrom Rack, Golfsmith, Yard House, Tucanos Brazilian Grill, and Destination XL."

http://www.magnoliapark.com/menin-announces-new-additions-magnolia-park/#&panel1-1

Nice get. Fits with rumors about a Nordstrom Rack looking around Columbiana Mall in Columbia. 

The retail doesn't seem too bad for this development. Just don't like the placement of buildings, emphasis on parking and lack of multi-use buildings (apartments, offices or something).

Nordstrom Rack will be going in next to GolfSmith. Should be 32,000 square feet. Had to keep it under wraps unfortunately. HuHot has been cancelled for the development sadly. 

I believe that was mentioned just above. (I actually beat you on announcing one, although I'm sure you knew it well before I did.)

Edited by RiverWalker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cabela's signage has been mounted. Looks good. Opening still scheduled for Spring. Has anyone heard rumors of a date?

Also, Cabela's announced a second South Carolina store just this morning, slated to open in Fort Mill in Spring of 2015.

Job interviews are currently being held at the Hilton on Haywood Road from December 17th until December 21st. Store upfit of products by employees will start in mid-late February with opening in March or April. 

• 2 weeks later...

For all of the great press that Greenville gets for great restaurants, a great downtown, great family-friendly activities and international investment...then there's the Cabela's, which screams "REDNECKS LIVE HERE", with its "Hunting and Fishing" signs highly visible from the I-85/I-385 interchange, which is one of the first things that visitors to Greenville will see.

Can't the downtown Brooks Brothers put up a billboard to block it, perhaps?

For all of the great press that Greenville gets for great restaurants, a great downtown, great family-friendly activities and international investment...then there's the Cabela's, which screams "REDNECKS LIVE HERE", with its "Hunting and Fishing" signs highly visible from the I-85/I-385 interchange, which is one of the first things that visitors to Greenville will see.

Wow, way to be stereotypical. I love Cabela's and I am not a redneck. I think it's a great store and I am glad they are spending money building their store and hiring employees in this area. Oh and there are Cabela's along with Bass Pro Shops stores all over the country along with Canada so I guess every area is full of rednecks then.  :rolleyes:

Edited by gman430

For all of the great press that Greenville gets for great restaurants, a great downtown, great family-friendly activities and international investment...then there's the Cabela's, which screams "REDNECKS LIVE HERE", with its "Hunting and Fishing" signs highly visible from the I-85/I-385 interchange, which is one of the first things that visitors to Greenville will see.

Are you serious? Really? Check out these other locations before you judge others: http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp Edited by gman

I guess by your reasoning, Charlotte is the Redneck Capital of the World since they not only have a Cabella's coming but at the home of the NASCAR Hall of Fame and the NASCAR track. 

BTW, have you ever seen Gun and Garden magazine?  

My post about Cabela's is not ignorant. (I am not a redneck at all.)  Having that store in that location is embarrassing to Greenville, as is the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte.  Both feed into negative stereotypes about the South and create an image that Greenville has worked so hard to overcome.

Edited by mallguy

What a silly post.  Cabela's is not redneck.  What about an outdoor store is redneck?!?  If outdoor pursuits = redneck, then cities like Denver, Salt Lake City, and Portland take the cake on redneck since those cities have far more of an outdoorsy vibe than Greenville.

Among the outdoor stores, I consider Greenville's (REI and Cabela's) to be more upscale than Bass Pro Shops.  Nothing wrong with BPS either, but if we're arguing which one is "redneck," it would be BPS.

To add:

Yes, I have reviewed the map of Cabela's locations.  Very few are in high-profile, affluent locations.  Gonzales, LA?  East Hartford, CT?  Enough said.

I also looked on its website and typed in "redneck".  10 products came up, including a "redneck" T-shirt and the following:

Buck Wear Redneck Duct Tape Cap

$17.99

Neiman Marcus, ye are not.

Outdoor sports such as hiking and running (which I do) are great.  Cabela's is not advertising those.

If people need a Cabela's, that's fine by me.  Just don't put it in such a high-profile location, particularly with its signage. 

Edited by mallguy

To add:

Yes, I have reviewed the map of Cabela's locations.  Very few are in high-profile, affluent locations.  Gonzales, LA?  East Hartford, CT?  Enough said.

I also looked on its website and typed in "redneck".  10 products came up, including a "redneck" T-shirt and the following:

Buck Wear Redneck Duct Tape Cap

$17.99

Neiman Marcus, ye are not.

Outdoor sports such as hiking and running (which I do) are great.  Cabela's is not advertising those.

If people need a Cabela's, that's fine by me.  Just don't put it in such a high-profile location, particularly with its signage. 

I guess we disagree with this being a high profile location.  Woodruff Road, to me, isn't high profile.  To me, Greenville doesn't have an upscale retail destination.  Haywood has potential to be that, with continued improvement to the mall and surrounding area (if the master plan is any indication).  But Woodruff Road?  It is solid, but not high profile IMO.

As for Magnolia Park itself, it was intended to be high profile when it was proposed.  But the economy seems to have derailed those plans in a huge way.  Magnolia Park has resorted to some very disappointing tenant additions over the years, to the point that it is no longer an upscale development.  Thus, I don't see Cabela's as inappropriate here.  My larger concern is the traffic it will generate, especially if there are lots of boats and RVs going in and out to add congestion to what is already an extremely busy road.

Edited by Greenville