CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

I am not too worried about Laurens RD. With all the stuff going in at Mellenium/ICAR over hte next few years, it is not going away. I have to agree that Woodruff is not a good place for BPS to go (if indeed it's coming), it is about time to develop a different area as Woodruff has all it can handle now. I would like to see it go somewhere closer, perhaps Haywood, or Pleasantburg. As for REI, I don't think we would benefit too much from them, they are one of those typical outdoor specialty stores that is fun to look around in, but you can gett all the same stuff somewhere else, and everything costs about eight times as much as it should.

Those are all good points re: BPS's location. My view is just that downtown needs more anchors, and a BPS would be a big draw for downtown, even if most BPSs are in suburbs (such as the Concord Mills one). Imagine a Bass Pro Shops in a building tailored to the area overlooking the river/park downtown- lots of wood construction to match the park and trees, what a boost to the West End! This would come on the heels of having lost a few big catches, such as South Financial and Ruth's Chris, and would help keep downtown on the upswing.

If county square gets redeveloped, then its replacement needs to be something more intense in its land use. I don't know if BPS would qualify... maybe if if was the retail component of a larger, mixed-use development.

I see County Square redevelopment as a Mcbee Station or River Place on a much grander scale.

I agree completely with the above posts re: County Square, insofar as they call for a mixed-use development. A Bass Pro Shops, perhaps with a small lake or some kind of outdoor type part to make it a campus-style development, plus housing, office space, etc. would be great! I just see BPS as going along well with having that park right below County Square- the outdoor theme of the store would blend in well.

Are you guys actually hearing rumors about county square redevelopment, or is it all still just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking, but we know developers read this so maybe we are giving them some good ideas. We talked about redeveloping the McBee apartments and within a year McBee station was announced.

Sacramento, Calif. is getting a Bass Pro Shop downtown:

http://www.plainvanillashell.com/article.asp?ID=6282

Thinking through my retail memory bank, there was some type of fishing store at Greenville Mall in the late '70s or early '80s about where Harold's was- does anyone recall the name? I keep thinking that it was a prior incarnation of Bass Pro Shops, but the corporate website doesn't mention any earlier versions of the chain.

I don't recall whether this was previously mentioned on UP, but the office building next to Regal Hollywood 20 would be 275,000 square feet, and filled by only one tenant (a "big corporation"), if that tenant agrees to locate there. Who is this corporation, and imagine that vision! I don't know how tall the building would be, but based on the rough capture of the site plan, looks like it would have a very large footprint, making it low-to-midrise.

I don't recall whether this was previously mentioned on UP, but the office building next to Regal Hollywood 20 would be 275,000 square feet, and filled by only one tenant (a "big corporation"), if that tenant agrees to locate there. Who is this corporation, and imagine that vision! I don't know how tall the building would be, but based on the rough capture of the site plan, looks like it would have a very large footprint, making it low-to-midrise.

OK, not to complain (well maybe a little), a company this size is welcome anywhere!, but it would really suck if this company moves there. After SF moving out on 85, we really need a major company to invest DT. Of course it might help with our skyline, but even more we need continued major investment DT so that it wiil continue to grow and attract still other projcts. I know the burbs may be a little less expensive, but think of the pluses. I am not sure why our DT is not selling to investors as a place to locate. It has everything you would want, much more than an I-85 frontage rd or a redeveloped mall site with gridlock traffic! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I have in front of me a site plan for Magnolia Park. Interesting facts. 669,342 SF Retail, 275,000 SF Office, 107,948 SF Residential. 948 Parking Deck Spaces, and 1,798 Surface spaces.

The site plan has a 103 Unit Residential Tower with a 3 level parking deck. Also Retail will be added to the front of the theater. To the right of Theater is a Parking deck with Class A office above.

And there will be no Bass Pro Shops here or at the Pelham Rd. site. Apparently rather than Bass Pro Shops paying rent you actually have to pay them to be part of your development. I guess becuase of the amount of users they will attract.

I have in front of me a site plan for Magnolia Park. Interesting facts. 669,342 SF Retail, 275,000 SF Office, 107,948 SF Residential. 948 Parking Deck Spaces, and 1,798 Surface spaces.

The site plan has a 103 Unit Residential Tower with a 3 level parking deck. Also Retail will be added to the front of the theater. To the right of Theater is a Parking deck with Class A office above.

And there will be no Bass Pro Shops here or at the Pelham Rd. site. Apparently rather than Bass Pro Shops paying rent you actually have to pay them to be part of your development. I guess becuase of the amount of users they will attract.

:yahoo::yahoo: You made my day!!! Parking deck....residential......669,342 of retail.....office! Sounds more urban, and less suburban! I knew Gulfside would come through with something great!! Is this something you can post? Any news on other retailers or restaurants?

Bummer on Bass Pro, but no doubt they'll show up somewhere in the area.

Thanks for the info. Btoy.

How tall is the residential tower? Will this project be in multiple phases? If so, will the office and/or residential tower be in the first phase?

Any idea on how much BPS requires in money? If it isn't TOO much, it might be worth the city chipping in to get them in or near DT/West End. It would probably take extra $ to bring them that far into town though.

Edited by vicupstate

Based on the description, Magnolia Park Town Center sounds great! Hopefully the existence of residential and office, along with retail, will be a recipe for success at that site! :thumbsup:

Can you imagine what the drive down I-385 will be like in 5-10 years? This development has a chance to make an impact, as well as further development of midtown (two highrises near Haywood at Villagio Verde site, Pleasantburg stuff, Pete Hollis gateway), landscaping, and the federal courthouse! Not to menton further development downtown and in the West End! Wow!

I do not want Bass Pro Shops downtown. IMO, they need to be suburban, especially in our market.

Where on the site will the residential tower be?

Edited by GvilleSC

Sounds great btoy! :P With 103 units I would think the residential buildign could be a double digiter. :D But with 275K office space it sounds like the unnamed company is locating there. I was hoping somehow they would choose DT, and that space could be used for another residential building. Why is our DT not selling to office companies? Is it purely the cost of locating there? Could we offer incentives for DT?

I do not want Bass Pro Shops downtown. IMO, they need to be suburban, especially in our market.

Somebody posted a tidbit about BPS opening in DT Sacramento or some such place. It would definitely have to be done 'right' (ie different than the suburban norm) but I think that would make it unique and probably get an article in Southern living , etc. Maybe an edge-of-DT site like Laurens and 385. -- Between 385 and Washington St.

It would be a great way to get more visitors into the CBD and could be an expansion of the eco-tourism angle Gville is trying to develop.

Pair it with something else that would create snergy, be creative !

Sounds great btoy! :P With 103 units I would think the residential buildign could be a double digiter. :D But with 275K office space it sounds like the unnamed company is locating there. I was hoping somehow they would choose DT, and that space could be used for another residential building. Why is our DT not selling to office companies? Is it purely the cost of locating there? Could we offer incentives for DT?

I think you are reading too much into it. When this project was announced, it was stated that 275,000 sq. ft for an office client was a possibility.

That is absolutely correct, vicupstate. No office space will be included in Magnolia Park Town Center if the unnamed "major corporation" decides NOT to locate there.However, if the corporation doesn't locate there, I certainly do hope they choose downtown Greenville instead.

Hopefully all of the components will happen at Magnolia Park Town Center. That would make it a real mixed-use urban lifestyle center.

The residential "tower" surprises me, since the article mentioned possible residential units above the retail. I'll take a residential tower anyday though!

Greenville, the two residential towers on the Villagio Verde site are not highrises, but rather 7-story midrises.