CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

I'm from Greenville. It's a lot bigger and has a lot more than Anderson or Spartanburg. It's not what Greenville has or doesn't have that make it seem on this board as if it's a small town; it is locals' reactions to prospects of new stores that make it seem small town-like. For example, when I took the Magnolia Park press release describing it as "refined" and with a Costco to my friends in Manhattan, along with a printout of some of the commentary on this site, my friends howled with laughter and thought Greenville must be the end of the earth, based on how people were reacting to some new stores and how they viewed "upscale" retail. The Spartanburg forum- with people ticked off that they don't have a TGI Friday's or the like- is even moreso. It's all about attitude.

Having lived in much larger cities that have more high-end stores and the like than Greenville does, I know that getting those benefits often means trading off other benefits that Greenville has, such as short commutes, cheap real estate, etc. People on this board should just be more confident that Greenville is a fine place, regardless of whether or not Nordstrom or the like is there, and shouldn't go berzerk upon rumors that an Aloft (based on a Flyertalk post) or a Nordstrom (based on some gift cards on sale at Bi-Lo) are coming, and people in Greenville need to realize that just because they like Greenville (well of course people should; it's a nice place), it doesn't necessarily follow that high-end retailers will abandon their market requirements and come there. It's people's reactions in Greenville, not what Greenville has or doesn't have, that make it seem small town-like to outsiders such as my Manhattan friends.

People in NYC aren't really fazed at all about getting a flagship Louis Vuitton or two Ritz-Carltons or even the Time Warner Center, which is a large development with some pretty big buildings; similarly, people in Greenville shouldn't care so much about a Z Gallerie. Both cities have enough going for them as it is.

I can't speak for everyone on here.....but I know regardless of where I've lived there have always been things I've been excited to see open. Back home in Detroit I was excited when we got Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus and other such stores. It's always fun to get something new!

Then since moving down here to Greenville, things like Costco do excite me as well. But it's because I had them at home and now I finally get to have a Costco again! (Which by the way I think is 10 times better than Sam's) I love Greenville the way it is, but that doesn't mean I can't get excited about growth and development. It just gives me more new reasons to love Greenville.

I may sometimes appear to be one of these "backwards locals". If you look the sentimental response I give to quite a few topics you might get that view of me but it's not entirely accurate. First of all except for a short time after college and a time I can't remember when I was 1 or 2 I have always lived in Greenville. I know just about all the back roads and take those instead of the "normal" routes. I do think skyscrapers look kind of neat I just don't think they should be built for the sake of "bragging rights". If it makes sense stick that puppy up but they can have their disadvantages as well.

I enjoy trips to bigger cities and enjoy the visits but I also like the smaller feel of Greenville. When I return back from Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. I feel a sense of relaxation when I drive past the Greenville County line. I don't hate Woodruff Road because of the business there. I hate Woodruff Road because of the poor planning that went into the road. I always found Greenville Mall somewhat creepy and often called it the "hippy" mall. I opposed county offices moving there because I think if people have to do things like pay their taxes or dispute them they should have to fight Woodruff Road and go the distance if the live on the west side of town. The whole, "County offices should move to Woodruff road so they can live with the mistakes they made is one of the silliest lines every uttered. Yes, it's a funny joke but Greenville County is not going to be that monastic.

Just because I like a smaller town feel doesn't mean I don't appreciate upsale or high technology but often upscale living and high technology has "making life easier" or less of a headache in their goals. I just decide to cut out the middle man and enjoy a less hurried lifestyle right here. I love Greenville because it is in a great location geographically and is a "nice size".

Any new site plans or list of stores that are definately coming?

Nope. Sorry. The tenant list will not come out until early 2008 according to an email I got from somebody that works at Menin. I can tell you that Z Gallerie, Anthropologie, Ruth's Chris, Border's, REI, and Cheesecake Factory will probably definitely be coming. Even the Shopping Center Group's website now says 2 high-end hotels could possibly be coming to Magnolia Park. It's updated too, because the residential part that was on the description is gone: http://www.theshoppingcentergroup.com/cont...t-121-1-630.htm

Edited by g-man430

But doesn't that also mean that we won't have to look at that ugly Myrtle Beach-esque condo tower? :)

There was hope with a new developer... :rolleyes: You mean, you wouldn't want to see those buildings that are along the interstate in Orlando that are painted stucco with colors like bright yellow, orange, and red...? :whistling:

Y'all might be interested in this:

http://www.menindevelopment.com/index.cfm?...6&x=2616983

Specifically, check out some of the tenants listed on the site plan:

http://www.trustedpartner.com/docs/library...site%20plan.pdf

DSW, Michael's (relocating from Laurens Road), REI, Borders, Chipotle, Starbucks, Ruth's Chris/Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, etc...

And the hotel: Aloft/Element/Hyatt Place/Springhill Suites

:shades:

Edit: Sorry if someone posted this while I was in Florida and I missed it...

Edited by RestedTraveler