CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

What does everyone think about this? Looks like the cost would be incredible, and the money could best used in other ways.

I don't personally think this (even the study) is a good use of money. The city would be better off trying to extend Congaree across Roper Mountain Road and onto the Magnolia Park site. Maybe perhaps even try to find a way to extend a bridge between Magnolia Park and the Shops at Greenridge (coming oout between Dick's and Office Max)...but not a dedicated on/off ramp.

I also agree with the statement made in the article that we'd be better off if they'd simply work on better traffic signals, traffic flow, and actually TICKETING people who block the freakin' intersections...those camera-ticket-enforcement-thingamagigs and the blue flashing lights would go a long way.

I would like to see both the 85 and 385 bridges on Woodruff reworked like the Hwy 14 bridge over 85 (the bowtie). That thing works very well at preventing gridlock.

I second that. I've seen this sort of thing in use in many places and it works very well, but the traffic signals around this area also need to be vastly improved.

Here are several simple ideas to resolve the Woodruff Road and vincinity traffic situation:

1.) Interstate 85 and 385: Convert existing interchange into a four-level stack interchange.

2.) Congaree Road:

• Widen to four lanes from Old Airport Road to Roper Mountain Road.
  • (Woods Lake Road) Widen to four lanes from Haywood Road to North Pleasantburg Drive
  • (East Washington Street extension) Construct a four lane facility from Laurens Road to North Pleasantburg Drive at Lowndes Hill Road intersection.

3.) Woodruff Road:

Connections to Interstates

Option 1: Close the interchange at Interstate 85, and use the interchanges at Interstate 385 to carry traffic back to 85.

Option 2: Create a four lane connector road that facilititates traffic from 85 to 385. Both ends have directional T interchanges to 85 and 385. The route travels from 385 near Roper Mountain Road to 85 between Woodruff and Old Sulphur Springs roads. An exit, possibly a parlo, for Woodruff Road, would be constructed near Costco. This eliminates the existing 385/Roper Mountain Road, 85/385, and 85/Woodruff Road interchanges.

Woodruff Road itself

Establish a raised median to prevent turning except at signalized intersections.

Raise the speed limit from 35 to 45 to speed traffic and save lives.

Here are several simple ideas to resolve the Woodruff Road and vincinity traffic situation:

1.) Interstate 85 and 385: Convert existing interchange into a four-level stack interchange.

This is another excellent idea, potentially, provided there is enough room to fit one in. :unsure: These things are all over the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and they work pretty well, even during rush hour, from what I've experienced so far.

This is another excellent idea, potentially, provided there is enough room to fit one in. :unsure: These things are all over the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and they work pretty well, even during rush hour, from what I've experienced so far.

Actually, I never quite thought of that, having worked in the Metroplex, and on a project in Houston, they have performed a miracle with the roads and highways out there. Maybe we could learn a thing or two from those cities.

'Have you all seen the awesome aerial shot of Greenville's downtown skyline on the Magnolia Park Town Center website? It is the very best I have seen from that angle!"

Is there any way to be able to get that photo? Would like to put it on my desktop.

Edited by BigTone

'Have you all seen the awesome aerial shot of Greenville's downtown skyline on the Magnolia Park Town Center website? It is the very best I have seen from that angle!"

Is there any way to be able to get that photo? Would like to put it on my desktop.

Contact Rob Belknap and ask him about it. I have a skyline photo he took that looks exactly like the one on the MPTC website. Here is Rob's website:

http://www.belknapphoto.com

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to go back and look at the old site plan, but it actually looks to me that there's one additional big box (previously it was just Costco, Rooms to Go, and Sports Authority...now it's those three plus one additional "Anchor"). I am impressed that it seems they've squeezed much more village onto this site though. Hopefully it does have some height (I would think at least 3 stories since the parking decks are labeled as "3 level" and I'd think the buildings would work as a facade to hide the parking decks).

I was over at Birkdale Village north of Charlotte this weekend and it was very nice. VERY NICE. If you've never been there, you've got to make the drive over some day just to check it out.

Edited by RestedTraveler

OK...in looking at the old site plan, it appears that the "9 Story Class A Office Tower" has been replaced by an additional big box anchor. It also appears that the Petco/DSW/Michael's/Lifestyle Fitness have been distributed more thoughout the rest of the center along with Borders/REI/etc. rather than configured in a stip-mall (not sure if the mix of tenants remains the same since it's hard to discern the labels on the new site plan). I do definitely like the way this is going to be laid out much better now though. Thanks for passing the information along, btoy! :shades:

I'd have to go back and look at the old site plan, but it actually looks to me that there's one additional big box (previously it was just Costco, Rooms to Go, and Sports Authority...now it's those three plus one additional "Anchor"). I am impressed that it seems they've squeezed much more village onto this site though. Hopefully it does have some height (I would think at least 3 stories since the parking decks are labeled as "3 level" and I'd think the buildings would work as a facade to hide the parking decks).

I was over at Birkdale Village north of Charlotte this weekend and it was very nice. VERY NICE. If you've never been there, you've got to make the drive over some day just to check it out.

Where would we get the height from? Unless they've decided to add residential as a part of the development.

Where would we get the height from? Unless they've decided to add residential as a part of the development.

I think the plans all along had called for both residential and office space above the retail, so that's got to be where the additional floors would be providing some height. Even if it were only 2-3 floors total, that'd make quite an impression from both I-85 and I-385.

I have seen a leasing plan and if I understood it right it showed one building be two stories and another three.

I think the plans all along had called for both residential and office space above the retail, so that's got to be where the additional floors would be providing some height. Even if it were only 2-3 floors total, that'd make quite an impression from both I-85 and I-385.

Didn't Menin say in the Greenville News that they were not doing residential? I'll have to go back and look.

I have seen a leasing plan and if I understood it right it showed one building be two stories and another three.

Didn't Menin say in the Greenville News that they were not doing residential? I'll have to go back and look.

You're right - the site plan does show two levels of office space above O1. Additionally, it looks as though there's a Hotel Lobby in K2, which would lead me to believe that there's going to be at least a few floors of hotel rooms above it. So does that mean there's going to be two hotels here?