CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

It sounds like it's going to be a great development. I'm worried about the accessibility though. Greenridge is a nightmare. :ph34r: Can you imagine traffic during Christmas time between Magnolia Park and Greenridge/the Point!??!? :scared: Give us transportation alternatives NOW! (at least the City is looking into providing services to Greenridge)

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for the special route to run from Black Friday through Christmas Eve that would start at Haywood Mall, travel with Mall Connector Rd or Congaree to Woodruff, to Magnolia Park, Target, The Point, Greenridge and any other major shopping center deemed appropriate to alleviate traffic along Woodruff?? The interval between buses would need to be at least 15 minutes IMO.

Though I'm not privy to this part of MPTC, I would suspect the possible office building will allow Menin to get a better return on the investment on this property. May also allow a slight decrease from the astronomical rent being asked of the retail spaces.

Though I'm not privy to this part of MPTC, I would suspect the possible office building will allow Menin to get a better return on the investment on this property. May also allow a slight decrease from the astronomical rent being asked of the retail spaces.

I hope the rent prices they are charging haven't prevented the Greenville market from getting some nice national retailers. I know we've heard rumors that Apple, Trader Joe's, Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, REI, Anthropologie, Z Gallerie, Sephora, etc. would be locating there. Hopefully they are still on board, and haven't backed out... :unsure:

I hope the rent prices they are charging haven't prevented the Greenville market from getting some nice national retailers. I know we've heard rumors that Apple, Trader Joe's, Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, REI, Anthropologie, Z Gallerie, Sephora, etc. would be locating there. Hopefully they are still on board, and haven't backed out... :unsure:

Considering what Menin payed, they need to get alot more rent than Canyon Gulfside needed.

From Southeast Real Estate Business (southeastrebusiness.com), "Magnolia Park Town Center...has been unable to attract high-end retailers to the former Greenville Mall site."

So they're considering building an office building perhaps because the upscale retailers just aren't coming through.

Along the lines of what btoy said... I wouldn't expect this to have a lower asking rent than Shops at Greenridge. Some of the costs may be offset by vertical office space, but it will probably still have highest-in-market rates for both office and retail.

• 3 weeks later...

Project has been delayed. They are now projecting a 2nd quarter 2010 opening. The commitments have not come yet. Every retailer that was in negotiations has slowed down due to the state of the economy and also the developer's extremely high rent numbers.

According to this article, opening is set for late 2009-early 2010: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....052/1004/NEWS01 A recent article in GSA Business said the same thing. They both also said a 350-375 room hotel is still part of the plan. :dontknow:

Edited by citylife

I heard that Menin doesn't even have an architect yet for this project, but are in the process of obtaining one's services. For a project this complex, it'll be a while on drawing production alone. I think early 2010 is reasonable.

Pazdan-Smith Group is the architect.

They were the architect for Gulfside's Magnolia Park, and likely will be the architect for Menin's Magnolia Park, but as of now I'm pretty sure that nothing is official. I do know for a fact that no work has been done on the architectural end.

According to the website it's official: http://www.magnoliapark.com/developmentteam.html I imagine you're right though when you say nothing's been done on the architectural end due to the fact they're still designing the town center and what it will encompass.

Do you know if that's been on there a while? Unless it was recently changed, then it's probably just been left on there since the original designing was going on for the old scheme that Gulfside was using. The last that I heard, probably a little over a week ago, Pazdan-Smith Group wasn't sure if they'd have the job or not. :dontknow:

I had thought the news was that Apple Store and other high-end retailers were coming to Magnolia Park. If that's the case, (1) why would Menin wait until 2009 or 2010 to have at least the retail component of the development done (thus missing out on a year or two of high rents) and (2) why would the retailers sign on for a project and then wait that long, when they could go elsewhere and open up shop sooner?

Do you know if that's been on there a while? Unless it was recently changed, then it's probably just been left on there since the original designing was going on for the old scheme that Gulfside was using. The last that I heard, probably a little over a week ago, Pazdan-Smith Group wasn't sure if they'd have the job or not. :dontknow:

It's been on there since the website has gone public.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Furman Company in conjunction with Grubb & Ellis has started to lease space in 375,000 square feet of proposed office space for Magnolia Park. There would be office space above two parking garages next to I-385 and above the retail in the center of the development.

• 4 weeks later...

Just heard a coffee and wine bar may be looking to open their first South Carolina location in Greenville..........

http://www.pjscoffee.com/customer/AboutUs.php

Odd that a coffee shop with only one store in the world which is located in New Orleans would pick Greenville for their second location. Oh and does the old Greenville Mall site remind anybody else of a larger than life Pinnacle on Main site? :rolleyes: