CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Looks like a sea of parking, Rooms to Go, and four "retail buildings." Any idea which retailers will be included? I hope they will be worth the wait.

Is it correct to assume that we will have to wait until at least phase 2 to get Trader Joe's and the restaurants (Maggiano's Little Italy, Cheesecake Factory, etc.)?

Looks like a sea of parking, Rooms to Go, and four "retail buildings." Any idea which retailers will be included? I hope they will be worth the wait.

Is it correct to assume that we will have to wait until at least phase 2 to get Trader Joe's and the restaurants (Maggiano's Little Italy, Cheesecake Factory, etc.)?

Not sure which retailers/restaurants will be part of phase 1. I heard phase 1 is 100% pre-leased though. There was a parking garage planned between Rooms To Go and and Retail A building. I don't know if that's still planned or not. A sea of parking was always proposed for there, so it shouldn't come as a suprise. They did add plaza areas between the retail buildings though which is nice. :) The mixed use part will come in phase 2. I know Trader Joes and Cheesecake Factory are in phase 2. I don't know if Maggiano's will be in Magnolia Park or not. Phase 1 completion is fall 2009. That starts construction end of this year/beginning of next year. I'm hearing the rest of project is scheduled for completion sometime in 2010. Don't know when construction will start on that part though.

Edited by citylife

And so the former Montgomery Ward building will remain?

I find it totally odd to have that building still there, complete with the Wards sign, years after the chain closed and after the mall shut down and was mostly demolished.

That's where the evil spirits are contained that have haunted that site for many a year. It's really a big ecto-containment facility and woah be the EPA dude that cuts the power and releases the ghosts all over town.

And so the former Montgomery Ward building will remain?

I find it totally odd to have that building still there, complete with the Wards sign, years after the chain closed and after the mall shut down and was mostly demolished.

No, it will be demolished when the mixed use portion starts construction.

• 1 month later...

Due to some changes made, Magnolia Park phase 1 has been moved to the January planning commission meeting:

http://www.greatergreenville.com/city_gove...agnoliaPark.pdf I'm hearing construction should start within the next month. Can't wait to see what traffic looks like on Woodruff Road once the whole center is completed. :ph34r::wacko:

In light of the steady interest in this particular planned development, I thought this interview aired earlier today on NPR is very appropriate. The host of the show 'Weekend Edition Sunday' asks questions regarding the weakening economy and Nigel Gault, the chief economist for IHS Global Insight, does his best to give simple answers for the public listening audience. One of the last answers clearly indicates that "non-residential construction," such as new office buildings and retail malls, will likely take a massive hit sometime within a year or two. I would say that we are already witnessing the signs of such a diminishing outlook already here in the Upstate. Look at Easley Town Center, the shopping center planned for Travelers Rest, and the ridiculously long delay for Magnolia Park Town Center - just to name a few in our immediate area. In other words, don't lose patience yet, because this period of economic disappointment could continue for much longer than anyone has anticipated or even imagined. It could actually get much worse before it improves. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

magnoliaparksiteplannw.jpg

Updated Site Plans for MPTC... Sports Authority will be moved next to Costco with another anchor to be built next to that. Five story office building will be built where Sports Authority is now. Parking garage will be built between that office building and I-385. Retail buildings will be built in front of office building. Another five story building will be built next to the parking garage on the left side with retail buildings to be built in front of that also. Hotel will be built between movie theater and I-385. Another parking garage will be built between the hotel and Hollywood 20. Everything else consists of retail buildings.

CREDIT TO G-MAN430 ON SSC FOR THESE PLANS

As another poster on c-d put it, this screams "Outlet Mall". Disappointingly underwhelmed. <_<

I'm going to have to disagree. This looks nothing like an outlet mall. Just look at the one in Gaffney. That has no office buildings, parking garages, hotel, movie theater with IMAX, etc like this development is going to have. Magnolia Park has lifestyle center written all over it. I like the new site plan better than the old one which is still on Menin's website. <_< Most of that pavement in front of Hollywood 20 will now be history. :) I do agree that the retail buildings could look better, but that could be said for any development. I think the final product will look better than what you see in the renderings. Remember those are the retail buildings proposed for next to Woodruff Road. The ones further inside the development will probably be two-three stories tall.

Edited by citylife

If the residential component is scrapped, it's just another Greenridge. Sure, there will be office space, but this was originally being billed as something that would have 24 hour occupancy/activity.

Far from another Greenridge.....this development will ultimately have a hotel component, parking decks, multi story office building(s), MUCH more greenspace and pedestrian friendly space, etc. There is no official confirmation that residential will not exist. Parts of this development are "fluid". Don't take everything posted third party as the complete or final picture.......let the company (Menin) make the official announcements. ;)

Far from another Greenridge.....this development will ultimately have a hotel component, parking decks, multi story office building(s), MUCH more greenspace and pedestrian friendly space, etc. There is no official confirmation that residential will not exist. Parts of this development are "fluid". Don't take everything posted third party as the complete or final picture.......let the company (Menin) make the official announcements. ;)

Thanks for bringing me back. :)

Edited by GvilleSC

The planning commission approved phase 1 for Magnolia Park last night with criticism. Several members on the board were not happy with the plans saying it lacked and was more of the same for Woodruff Road.

They are partially right. The initial phase is "somewhat" like Greenridge, although there will be some landscaped plaza areas in this phase. The additional phase, will be unlike anything else on Woodruff and be a true town center.

They are partially right. The initial phase is "somewhat" like Greenridge, although there will be some landscaped plaza areas in this phase. The additional phase, will be unlike anything else on Woodruff and be a true town center.

That's good news to hear. :) After seeing the new site plan, I can't help but think that. IMO, it's ok that this part is like Greenridge just as long as the rest is like a true town center. The members on the planning commission haven't seen the new site plan I don't think so they didn't realize the rest of the project will be nice looking. Looks like it could be a while though before that part starts construction.

Edited by citylife