CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Okay, cool!!! I really don't want it to go to MPTC but downtown instead!!!

I'm with ya there. A nice movie theater downtown with an IMAX house would be another great draw to get people into downtown. I could easily see such a thing fitting in with the RiverPlace Phase II/III build-out.

I just read all the latest posts over the last 60 days, as it has been a while since I checked this thread. Here is the latest. Rooms to Go will close on their property and be open by end of 2009. The small shops that are scheduled to be built with RTG, are struggling to be leased currently due to the economy, and some might be built and some might be held off until more leases are in place, and able to funded.

In regard to the remainder of the project, due to the economy, there are very few fashion and higher end retailers doing new stores right now, and almost none of them are really pushing to enter a market like Greenville. The mixed use and larger component of the project is currently proposed for a spring or summer 2011 opening. There is no way those dates will be made with the current state of the economy and the lack of retailers signing deals. I would assume more likely a 2012 opening if and only if, retailers start to sign leases, as the construction process will take 12-18 months so they would need leases completed by Fall 2010 at the latest. Apple has signed a proposal to enter Haywood Mall and is wrapping up a lease, and should be open there possibly by end of year, but more likely early 2010. That is a big blow to MPTC, as they could have built around Apple as their lead shop tenant. Also Sports Authority has not made a decision on what they will do with their existing store there, which is extremely problematic to build around.

Also Sports Authority has not made a decision on what they will do with their existing store there, which is extremely problematic to build around.

Decision whether to build a new store or to just go with the existing store, right? Not a decision about whether to shut down that location, right? The Sports Authority does very well, I think?

Decision whether to build a new store or to just go with the existing store, right? Not a decision about whether to shut down that location, right? The Sports Authority does very well, I think?

From my understanding, Sports Authority is deciding on whether to keep the store open or close it completely. Currently, they have no plans to build a new store on site. The current one would be renovated if they decide to leave it open.

From my understanding, Sports Authority is deciding on whether to keep the store open or close it completely. Currently, they have no plans to build a new store on site. The current one would be renovated if they decide to leave it open.

That makes much more sense to me anyway, I have never understood the tendancy to tear down a perfectly good store just to spend millions in building another building nearby. It would be a total waste to do so within the same development. As for the high end stores at Mag Place, I personally can do witout. 90% of the population cannot shop there anyway, including myself.

If the Sports Authority does decide to stick around, I'd give some serious consideration into moving into the old Goody's location or perhaps even the old Circuit City location, if I were them. It seems a prime opportunity to fill a vacant space in one of the other centers while at the same time freeing up one more space at MPTC for complete redevelopment.

If the Sports Authority does decide to stick around, I'd give some serious consideration into moving into the old Goody's location or perhaps even the old Circuit City location, if I were them. It seems a prime opportunity to fill a vacant space in one of the other centers while at the same time freeing up one more space at MPTC for complete redevelopment.

I was kind of hoping RTG would do the same thing. There's plenty of empty retail spots that would be perfect for them like Goody's, Linens N Things, or Circuit City.

I was kind of hoping RTG would do the same thing. There's plenty of empty retail spots that would be perfect for them like Goody's, Linens N Things, or Circuit City.

For that matter, we've got a vacant former Goody's location at Cherrydale that's begging for a Sports store or Book store....nothing on this end of town currently fulfilling that need.

Don't forget they have another location on Lauren's Rd. only like a mile away. Do they even need to have two stores?

Don't forget they have another location on Lauren's Rd. only like a mile away. Do they even need to have two stores?

Wow! The one on Laurens Road is still open? I had no idea. No - they don't need 2 stores...not in my opinion, but they do need to distance themselves from Academy Sports and Dick's a bit more, I think. I'm not sure that retreating to Laurens Road is a good idea either, though. :dontknow:

From my understanding from The Sports Authority store manager, their long term plan is to close the Laurens Road store due to poor positioning and have one store on Woodruff. Their current Woodruff Road store is a very inefficient layout since it was an old Oshman's and not a traditional Sports Authority. I have heard they are in discussions with Menin to relocate and build new onsite, thereby unencumbering the property, and have also heard that they are looking at the Goody's box as well. The Circuit City box would be too small for them and so would the Linen's N Things at Greenridge.

From my understanding from The Sports Authority store manager, their long term plan is to close the Laurens Road store due to poor positioning and have one store on Woodruff. Their current Woodruff Road store is a very inefficient layout since it was an old Oshman's and not a traditional Sports Authority. I have heard they are in discussions with Menin to relocate and build new onsite, thereby unencumbering the property, and have also heard that they are looking at the Goody's box as well. The Circuit City box would be too small for them and so would the Linen's N Things at Greenridge.

Great. Another empty building on Laurens Road. :sick: They were planning on building a new store on site between their current store and Costco. However, a new site plan came out showing no Sports Authority on site what-so-ever which leads me to believe they are going to move to Goody's. This is just a guess though, so don't quote me on it.

It will be interesting to see which sporting goods store in that immediate vicinity closes first; Dick's, Academy, or Sports Authority. Am I forgetting any? ^_^

I think you named them all. It's funny, though ... sporting goods are one of those segments where people will shop competitively and actually take the time to go from one store to the other to find the best price. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 remain open for a while.

From my understanding from The Sports Authority store manager, their long term plan is to close the Laurens Road store due to poor positioning and have one store on Woodruff. Their current Woodruff Road store is a very inefficient layout since it was an old Oshman's and not a traditional Sports Authority.

Just a quick note here - the building that Sports Authority (Oshman's) is part of the Old Wards building from the first mall - opened in the late 70's and closed in 95 when Wards moved into their new building. So there is nothing new about where Sports Authority is, they just got an old building with old problems. I for one was hoping that when they closed the mall that Sports Authority was going to get a new building. They sure do need one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't even see this until now. Simon Property Group has filed a lawsuit against Menin Development for $4.2 million due to unpaid rent: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/cont...ource_0322.html Hopefully this doesn't affect Magnolia Park like it hasn't been affected enough already. :whistling:

Edited by citylife

• 1 month later...

Rooms To Go has started construction. The store on Haywood Road will close and move here when complete. The rest of Magnolia Park is on hold until the economy improves.

This information is partially correct. Yes, the developer did close on the sale of a parcel to Rooms To Go last week and they started construction this week. I would expect to see more information about this in the press shortly. However, Magnolia Park is not on hold. In fact, I understand the developer has been finalizing deals with several large tenants. It appears that this is one of the few real estate projects in this economy that actually has activity going on. This is most likely due to the success of the existing retailers at Magnolia Park - Regal is doing exceptionally well as the #1 volume theatre in North and South Carolina, Costco is doing great business as the Magnolia Park store does twice the volume of Spartanburg, and the Bed Bath & Beyond store in the #1 Bed Bath in the state. It is also obvious the developer must have exceptional relationships with its tenants to get deals done in this market. I hope we hear more good news out of Magnolia Park soon!

It appears that this is one of the few real estate projects in this economy that actually has activity going on. This is most likely due to the success of the existing retailers at Magnolia Park - Regal is doing exceptionally well as the #1 volume theatre in North and South Carolina, Costco is doing great business as the Magnolia Park store does twice the volume of Spartanburg, and the Bed Bath & Beyond store in the #1 Bed Bath in the state. It is also obvious the developer must have exceptional relationships with its tenants to get deals done in this market. I hope we hear more good news out of Magnolia Park soon!

How is Sports Authority doing? It has always seemed to me that it has the worst retail location imaginable, tucked away on the back side of what is now a defunct mall, with no visibility to incidental traffic other than to the cars zooming by on I-385.

On a similar note, I noticed earlier this week that the Sears Outlet, which opened just a few months ago in the former CompUSA location, appears to have become just "Outlet." The "Sears" part of the sign is gone, but the store does appear to be open for business, as there were a couple of riding mowers visible at the door. I think the store did a lot better business when it was farther out Woodruff Rd., next to the duck. I would think that, in a down economy, there would be much higher demand for surplus and outlet merchandise, so I would have to guess that the new location, way in the back of the strip, may have done poorly due to lack of visibility.

Location, location, location...