CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

This information is partially correct. Yes, the developer did close on the sale of a parcel to Rooms To Go last week and they started construction this week. I would expect to see more information about this in the press shortly. However, Magnolia Park is not on hold. In fact, I understand the developer has been finalizing deals with several large tenants. It appears that this is one of the few real estate projects in this economy that actually has activity going on. This is most likely due to the success of the existing retailers at Magnolia Park - Regal is doing exceptionally well as the #1 volume theatre in North and South Carolina, Costco is doing great business as the Magnolia Park store does twice the volume of Spartanburg, and the Bed Bath & Beyond store in the #1 Bed Bath in the state. It is also obvious the developer must have exceptional relationships with its tenants to get deals done in this market. I hope we hear more good news out of Magnolia Park soon!

Looks like I was wrong and you were right. :blush: Contacted somebody involved with Magnolia Park this morning and he said the same thing you did.

Edited by citylife

This information is partially correct. Yes, the developer did close on the sale of a parcel to Rooms To Go last week and they started construction this week. I would expect to see more information about this in the press shortly. However, Magnolia Park is not on hold. In fact, I understand the developer has been finalizing deals with several large tenants. It appears that this is one of the few real estate projects in this economy that actually has activity going on. This is most likely due to the success of the existing retailers at Magnolia Park - Regal is doing exceptionally well as the #1 volume theatre in North and South Carolina, Costco is doing great business as the Magnolia Park store does twice the volume of Spartanburg, and the Bed Bath & Beyond store in the #1 Bed Bath in the state. It is also obvious the developer must have exceptional relationships with its tenants to get deals done in this market. I hope we hear more good news out of Magnolia Park soon!

This is good news. I will be curious to see what kind of retailers are part of the finished product, given the current economy. The initial list we saw was quite impressive, and I hope the developer did not have to lower standards too much in order to fill this thing. Menin seems to do very high quality stuff, so hopefully we won't be disappointed.

Interesting quote from the press release- so Menin is planning to keep the carcass of Greenville Mall there and re-lease it?

"Menin is in the process of leasing the remaining 150,000 square feet of existing available space comprised of a former two-level department store box and existing mall space."

Interesting quote from the press release- so Menin is planning to keep the carcass of Greenville Mall there and re-lease it?

"Menin is in the process of leasing the remaining 150,000 square feet of existing available space comprised of a former two-level department store box and existing mall space."

Yes, that is where Nordstrom will go. ;)

On a similar note, I noticed earlier this week that the Sears Outlet, which opened just a few months ago in the former CompUSA location, appears to have become just "Outlet." The "Sears" part of the sign is gone...

Sears logo is back on the front, and is visible also on the back, facing I-85. Apparently the front sign was just out for a little R&R.

It depends on if and who leases the old Montgomery Ward space as to whether I would want to see it left standing or not. I wouldn't be suprised to see a large outdoor retailer like Gander Mountain, Cableas, or Bass Pro Shops make their home there.

It depends on if and who leases the old Montgomery Ward space as to whether I would want to see it left standing or not. I wouldn't be suprised to see a large outdoor retailer like Gander Mountain, Cableas, or Bass Pro Shops make their home there.

I thought Cabelas was already part of the Magnolia Park site plan in a different location.

Is Bass Pro Shops no longer going to be part of the development at I-85 and Highway 14?

I thought Cabelas was already part of the Magnolia Park site plan in a different location.

Is Bass Pro Shops no longer going to be part of the development at I-85 and Highway 14?

Cabelas has never been in the works for Magnolia Park. REI has though. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. :unsure: Bass Pro Shops is still in the works for that development in Greer. Current timeline has a construction start date for late 2009/early 2010. However, if something happened and the project got cancelled then I could see Bass Pro Shops going to Magnolia Park instead.

Cabelas has never been in the works for Magnolia Park. REI has though. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. :unsure: Bass Pro Shops is still in the works for that development in Greer. Current timeline has a construction start date for late 2009/early 2010. However, if something happened and the project got cancelled then I could see Bass Pro Shops going to Magnolia Park instead.

Yes, I was thinking about REI and not Cabela's. Glad to hear that Bass Pro Shops is still slated for the new development at I-85 and Highway 14. :thumbsup:

I doubt that. MP does not have enough room for Bass Pro Shops.

Yes, I was thinking about REI and not Cabela's. Glad to hear that Bass Pro Shops is still slated for the new development at I-85 and Highway 14. :thumbsup:

I think Cabellas was rumored to go into a development that was to be just over the Anderson Cty line a couple of years ago. But that development either fell through or has been put on hold. :dontknow:

I think Cabellas was rumored to go into a development that was to be just over the Anderson Cty line a couple of years ago. But that development either fell through or has been put on hold. :dontknow:

That development has been dead for at least a year now or so. Bass Pro Shop stores range in size from 42,000 square feet-300,000 square feet with most of them being in the 150,000 square foot range. The old Montgomery Ward building is somewhere between 100,000-150,000 square feet if I recall correctly. Way too large for a REI. Most of their stores are around 35,000 square feet in size.

Edited by citylife

If Nordies did come (which they wont) they would probably do better at Haywood and kick out Sears (YAY (I HATE Sears).

I think sears own's their building.

Or what about Fry's?

That development has been dead for at least a year now or so. Bass Pro Shop stores range in size from 42,000 square feet-300,000 square feet with most of them being in the 150,000 square foot range. The old Montgomery Ward building is somewhere between 100,000-150,000 square feet if I recall correctly. Way too large for a REI. Most of their stores are around 35,000 square feet in size.

Not sure what the status of the REI deal is there, but that's definitely the one being targeted. If you look at the conceptual plan on the Magnolia Park website, the proposed REI space is the two level building near Mickey D's.

There sure is a lot of misinformation that flys around on these sites. Let me see if I can clarify on Magnolia Park.

1. Sports Authority-Not going anywhere as they are currently about to get really punched in the face by Academy Sports. Their mismanagement of the real estate in this market is pathetic. They have a dead store 2.5 miles away on Laurens, that they have not closed yet, and an oversized former Oshman's box that sits in the back of a vacant mall. Meanwhile Dicks opened and hurt them, and they still did not do anything about it. Now Academy will open and will either be the death nail, or maybe the wake up call they need to revisit their real estate in Greenville.

2. Bass Pro Shops deal on Highway 14 is going nowhere currently. The bill to help give retailers like Bass Pro assistance, has still not been ratified yet. Not to mention no developer could get financing to do a Bass Pro deal currently.

3. Menin is working with tenants to backfill the existing Montgomery Ward. They are working with an existing big box(non-department store) in Greenville that would relocate and expand into the ground level of that. They are also working with an entertainment concept to take the top floor.

4. If the Montgomery Ward stays and is released, and Sports Authority continues to stay, the Magnolia Park that was painted to the city, and Menin had dreamed of will not happen for a minimum of 5-10 years, because of the lease terms and lengths will be signed in the old Montgomery Ward. Those buildings and their placements coupled with the existing Regal, Costco, and soon to be Rooms To Go with their site plans, parking needs, and restrictions, will keep a large scale mixed use lifestyle center from being able to layout on the property.

It is disappointing for the city and the state that this development will be a victim of the economic collapse difficulty in new construction financing, and lack of higher end retail sales and business currently, but I applaud Menin in trying to get creative with what they do have to create space.

It will be interesting to see now what the next life of the former Greenville Mall property will be.

Sadly I do not see Magnolia Park ever being developed as it should. Even the latest master plan lacked the fully integrated residential component needed to make it a truly sustainable "town center." A short drive away in our sister city, Asheville, NC, the Biltmore Park Town Square development (current photos) is getting things done right, with residential units creatively added into most of the buildings, while shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues inhabit the street level.

Sadly I do not see Magnolia Park ever being developed as it should. Even the latest master plan lacked the fully integrated residential component needed to make it a truly sustainable "town center." A short drive away in our sister city, Asheville, NC, the Biltmore Park Town Square development (current photos) is getting things done right, with residential units creatively added into most of the buildings, while shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues inhabit the street level.

Ya but have you seen how little retail has actually signed on to that project yet?

:dontknow: What shops and restaurants? Most of the space at Biltmore Park is still empty. Not suprising to see Magnolia Park turning into this with commercial real estate the way it is. If the top floor is leased by Fry's or Dave and Busters then I won't have a problem with it. I for one hope Academy kills Sports Authority once and for all. If Magnolia Park were to get built now, it would turn into this: http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...8342&page=1

Edited by citylife