CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

:dontknow: What shops and restaurants? Most of the space at Biltmore Park is still empty...
Most of the space may still be empty, however most of the development is still under construction. I remember seeing a PF Chang's, a two-level REI, a cafe and coffee shop, Cold Stone Creamery, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Brixx Pizza, an original fine dining restaurant, and several specialty shops. Barnes & Noble is nearly open and will undoubtedly be a catalyst for additional tenants to fill the remaining vacant street-level retail/restaurant space. Several of the condominiums are obviously inhabited by residents and several are still being built. Most of the buildings are definitely still under construction. Even though Biltmore Park Town Square is not yet completely constructed, it is light years ahead of Magnolia Park Town Center. MPTC definitely has nearly equal potential, yet lacks the same "complete" vision.

I for one hope Academy kills Sports Authority once and for all.

Why would you want a business to fail? With the economy and the job market the way it is, you want to put more people out of work? You want to see more empty big boxes on the market and create more unused rotting buildings? :dontknow: I an not sure what line of thought you are using, but I hope Sports Authority uses the opportunity to remarket itself to the area. And competition is a good thing as well. I have always enjoyed Sports Authority myself, and it was one of the biggest sports stores in Gville just a few years ago.

That still doesn't mean the spaces are leased or are going to be leased Skyliner. I want to see the Sports Authority store on Woodruff Road closed because it's junky looking and is one of the reasons Magnolia Park isn't getting built. Oshman's was a great store. Too bad they're not still around. I don't want to see more empty big box stores on the market. I want to see the current building Sports Authority is in torn down. Academy and Dick's are way better than Sports Authority in my opinion.

Edited by citylife

Today is the first time I have heard of Biltmore Park Town Square, but if something like that can happen in Asheville then why can't Magnolia Park happen in Greenville?!? :dontknow: Asheville is a lot smaller metro than Greenville, so maybe some of those tenants are new to the area. But from the sound of things, that development is progressing while Magnolia Park can only get a Rooms to Go. What gives?

Today is the first time I have heard of Biltmore Park Town Square, but if something like that can happen in Asheville then why can't Magnolia Park happen in Greenville?!? :dontknow: Asheville is a lot smaller metro than Greenville, so maybe some of those tenants are new to the area. But from the sound of things, that development is progressing while Magnolia Park can only get a Rooms to Go. What gives?

The recession. ;) Biltmore Park started construction before the recession took its hold on the commercial real estate market. Like I said, Biltmore Park only has a few tenants for their development. Most of the space is empty and hasn't been leased yet and probably won't be for sometime to come. A lot of the tenants at Biltmore Park are already in Greenville at the Shops at Greenridge.

Biltmore Park Town Square is very nice. Yes, some of the stores are not open yet because construction is not finished. Nordstrom would work better at Haywood, but I am sure that Sears owns their building. Simon could get them to move to Woodruff or somewhere else. Bass Pro Shops usually do not reuse buildings. If they did reuse MW, it would only be 75,000 square feet because BPS stores are very tall in height. I think BPTS will be nicer than Magnolia unless Magnolia gets some very nice stores. But I do not see that happening. Its anchored by Costco, Sports Authority & Rooms to Go. Those are not 3 anchors to brag about. Sears at SouthPark owned? their building and it was gotten rid of. Fry's would be cool, but they are not really expanding much, I think they would do great in some markets such as Greenville, Charlotte, Nashville, Durham/Raleigh and others. However, they never have expanded much.

Edited by ct36

OK...if the Montgomery Ward building is being re-leased, and the strip of Greenville Mall between it and Sports Authority will be leased (that part of the mall was always pretty empty so I won't say re-leased), then what was the point of demolishing the mall?

Costco could have been built into the old JBWhite building, which was totally re-done in '95, and the Parisian building was pretty new, too; it was a nice mall building that was demolished really quickly. What a waste.

And what new big-box and in-line tenants are likely to locate in Greenville but are not already in town, anyway? These days, not many- Haywood + Greenridge = about 2,000,000 sf of retail that's already accounted for.

OK...if the Montgomery Ward building is being re-leased, and the strip of Greenville Mall between it and Sports Authority will be leased (that part of the mall was always pretty empty so I won't say re-leased), then what was the point of demolishing the mall?

Costco could have been built into the old JBWhite building, which was totally re-done in '95, and the Parisian building was pretty new, too; it was a nice mall building that was demolished really quickly. What a waste.

And what new big-box and in-line tenants are likely to locate in Greenville but are not already in town, anyway? These days, not many- Haywood + Greenridge = about 2,000,000 sf of retail that's already accounted for.

Costco would not have been in JBWhite. Stores like Costco have a large height that department stores can not accomadate. Especially if two floors because they can only use one. Therefore, Costco would have been under 100,000 square feet.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps this is just a knee-jerk reaction but I really wish the city/county would adopt stricter ordinances for the these companies vacating big boxes and just letting them rot, only to move a mile or two away. The current Rooms to go, is a beautiful viable store and yet they will just let it sit there for who knows how long. I think these big box retailers (especially) should be held responsible for securing a new tennant for their building before they are allowed by the city/county to move, or make some provision to have the old building torn down or something. All these rotting stores makes me very frustrated. :wacko:

Perhaps this is just a knee-jerk reaction but I really wish the city/county would adopt stricter ordinances for the these companies vacating big boxes and just letting them rot, only to move a mile or two away. The current Rooms to go, is a beautiful viable store and yet they will just let it sit there for who knows how long. I think these big box retailers (especially) should be held responsible for securing a new tennant for their building before they are allowed by the city/county to move, or make some provision to have the old building torn down or something. All these rotting stores makes me very frustrated. :wacko:

I think it'll be interesting to see how the new Uptown designation and developments will affect the Rooms to Go site. In 10 years from now, they may very well wish that they had stayed.

I think it'll be interesting to see how the new Uptown designation and developments will affect the Rooms to Go site. In 10 years from now, they may very well wish that they had stayed.

It wasn't all about location, the new store is much larger. and maybe it won't be empty long, the Tweeter filled up pretty quickly.

I understand the sentiment... but there are a couple things to keep in mind...

1. Very often, the users are simply tenants and do not own the building. That complicates trying to impose something like this.

2. These empty big boxes create awesome opportunities for local stores to get their foot in a strong location... ala Jeff Lynch or Palmetto Home & Garden.

3. There actually aren't that many available right now, as compared to a couple years ago.

However, some communities have done this. I can't think of any locally. Another tactic that local communities are looking is is adopting design standards that prevent a store from being developed in a way that is "branded". Which makes re-tenanting easier.

We're ready. The question is are you? http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...1/YOURUPSTATE02 ;)

We are thrilled to be joining the 700,000 square foot campus and excited to be the exclusive Bowling and Family Entertainment Center for Magnolia Park. SUPERPLAY USA, a Bowling and Family Entertainment Center will offer an all encompassing entertainment and dining experience where guests can immerse themselves in a State-of-the-Art "family playground"; offering 34 lanes of private bowling, laser tag, an interactive game room, sports bar, martini bar, party rooms, and a billiards room.

:yahoo:

Edited by citylife

[EDITED TO ADD: This new addition should do very well.]

The Apple Store and other luxury retailers that were claimed to be joining this development are where?

I still can't get over the remaining parts mostly-demolished mall being re-leased, which I find entertaining, and no high-end stores here- so sad that Parisian and Harold's and the like are long-gone.

Edited by mallguy

I'm glad some movement is happening on this because positive cash flow is the first step to the rest of the project happening, but this looks like a poor man's Frankie's judging by the website. Citylife, do you know if this will be one of the tennents in the old structures, or are they going to build new?

Side note, City, do you have citylife tatted on your stomach, Tupac style?

[EDITED TO ADD: This new addition should do very well.]

The Apple Store and other luxury retailers that were claimed to be joining this development are where?

I still can't get over the remaining parts mostly-demolished mall being re-leased, which I find entertaining, and no high-end stores here- so sad that Parisian and Harold's and the like are long-gone.

Luxury retailers currently aren't expanding right now. In fact, a lot of them are closing stores. Apple is slated to go to Haywood Mall. Harold's filed for bankruptcy and closed all of their stores. I believe it will go in the former Montgomery Ward's building. I'll see if I can find out for sure. It kind of sounds like a knock-off Dave and Busters to me. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. At least we're finally seeing some movement and the entertainment section of the development come to life. If this entertainment center does go in the former Montgomery Ward building and they tear down the Sports Authority building than it could be located in the center of the future mixed-use development if they design it right. And no, my name is not tatted on my stomach.

Edited by citylife

Does anyone else find it funny that they tout being "family friendly," and then brag about their martini bar? I'm not saying that the two are mutually exclusive, but most places wouldn't try to pull both off at once. Needless to say, I am curious to see this. :lol:

There are bars downtown and they tout that as family friendly. Just sayin. :whistling:

I haven't decided how I feel about this newest announcement. Part of me is excited. The other half is disappointed with the continual down hill spiral that we've witnessed from the original plans to now, and thinks this may very well be a part of that... I'm reserving my judgement.

What downward spiral? :huh: Rooms To Go and Costco were always planned along with an entertainment district which this is. Just because the mixed use portion hasn't been built yet doesn't mean it won't in the future. We're in a recession in case you forgot.

Edited by citylife