CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Since Super Target will be part of the new development at Pelham and Garlington, will they be closing their Woodruff Road store?

I expect both stores to be open as they serve different areas.

I hear Michaels is coming to Magnolia Park...

I wonder if they'll close their Laurens Rd Store... :(

I think Michael's could use a larger location and a change in scenery with Garden Ridge and A.C Moore (in the Plaza) on Woodruff Road. The question is "What happens to the current location?"

If Burlington Coat Factory decides to relocate, you have a prime location to redevelop a shopping center. In an area that needs it most, that site is ripe for a supermarket. With Bi-Lo owning the lease on BCF/vacant Office Max, I would not be surprised to see something familiar go in.

This sounds great guys. Hopefully BPS will come somewhere like Verdae or near it. :thumbsup: Do you know when construction of the Super Target could begin, btoy?

Locating next to Home Depot on Woodruff Industrial Court would not be a bad idea. The intersection with Woodruff Road can be greatly improved.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree it's bad policy. This company is competing with existing local business, that did not get incentives, the tourist affect will lessen as new stores are added, and the wage scale is low. Plus we need to be eliminating incentives rather than opening a new realm of them.

Lastly, this company circumvented the Commerce Department, also a bad thing. A few local legislators trying to benefit there constiuents to the detriment of the state as a whole. Not a surprise.

I may vote for Sanford just on principle.

It is great to see Cabela's opening up in the Atlanta area. They are following Bass Pro Shops into existing markets and bolting into uncharted ones.

I thought you said BPS was definitely coming here. I'm still not convinced they are.

Do not worry. They are coming. Bass Pro Shops will make an announcement at the right time. *stresses patience*

i agree it's bad policy. This company is competing with existing local business, that did not get incentives, the tourist affect will lessen as new stores are added, and the wage scale is low. Plus we need to be eliminating incentives rather than opening a new realm of them.

Lastly, this company circumvented the Commerce Department, also a bad thing. A few local legislators trying to benefit there constiuents to the detriment of the state as a whole. Not a surprise.

I may vote for Sanford just on principle.

Very well stated Vicupstate!

Incentives are basically created to spur investment by companies that draw the majority of their revenue from outside the state. Think about a manufacturer that sells product produced locally on a global or national scale; a distribution center that serves the Southeast region; a corporate headquarters for a regional, national or global company; or a research & development facility. These companies create wealth within SC by drawing most of their revenue from outside the state. In a similar way, tourism, agriculture, and mining draw "new, outside money" into an area by selling product developed locally on a national or global scale.

Cabellas uses tourism as a reason to lure tax breaks, by saying that it is a destination shopping experience. In my humble opinion, the proliferation of these stores (one in Georgia, one coming to NC) means that the vast majority of its sales will be made to locals or to tourists who would have already been in the area (thus might have spent their "outside dollars" with a locally owned retailer).

Cabela's is getting closer to us, so you never know. We could get a Cabela's or a Bass Pro Shops or maybe even both: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...ille_press.html

From some of the renderings on pazdan smith site it looks like there will be a large amount of open parking lot space. I thought the city was trying to get away from this type of thing. Wouldn't a nicely designed garage have worked better for retail, and below ground or below condo parking for living spaces?

Cabela's has looked at some of the sites that BPS has locally.

I work for the general contractor that will be doing the demolition and construction for magnolia park. My dad tells me he heard a rumor about a 8 story building going somewhere around that site. when new construction begins. Could be fact or fiction but i think some of the harpers let it slip to him.

I work for the general contractor that will be doing the demolition and construction for magnolia park. My dad tells me he heard a rumor about a 8 story building going somewhere around that site. when new construction begins. Could be fact or fiction but i think some of the harpers let it slip to him.

We have already established confirmation here from btoy, and your information helps to back that rumor, so we are very hopeful this mystery corporation ends up making the right call - a move to Greenville. :thumbsup:

Just visited the Shops at University Place in Charlotte, with a Rooms to Go, a Dick's Sporting Goods, a Hilton, a lake, etc. This seems to be the currently-existing shopping center that is most like what Magnolia Park will be, with (1) mid-market big-box retailers, (2) amenities to make the center into a destination and (3) a mix of uses, both retail and non-retail. This is a nice shopping center, and is "refined" by strip mall standards, but not by Madison Avenue standards.

Just went to two outdoor malls and one hybrid lifestyle center/enclosed mall: Short Pump Town Center and Stony Point Fashion Park (in Richmond) and the Streets at Southpoint (Durham). They were excellent- very attractive, and shopping outside in a faux downtown was really fun. I recall that the Greenville Mall owners had made some progress on plans to de-mall the mall and make it into an outdoor center before it went bust; too bad it didn't work out because it would really be nice to have an upscale (e.g., Williams-Sonoma-level upscale) outdoor mall similar to one of the three I visited in Greenville.

Triangle Town Center in Raleigh has an outdoor portion with a Pier One Kids and some other mid-market-type retailers in it, so maybe Magnolia Park will be something like that? I don't like that as much as a Stony Point-type center (with Louis Vuitton, Saks, etc.), since I don't generally care for mid-market malls, but I do like an outdoor center that has the stores close together and the parking lot at the edge of the development, sort of like the center part of Greenridge where Harold's is (I don't like the vast parking lots in between so many of the retail buildings at Greenridge). So hopefully Magnolia Park will be truly pedestrian-friendly, with no parking lots in between the stores. That would be nice to have.

With regards to parking there is a big parking lot in front of the bigger stores, but looks at the smaller stores and they are all pretty close together. Also do not forget that there are two parking decks in the project.

I still can not get the site plan I have to attach, but it is different from the one on the flyer. If you look at the parking deck near CompUSA it has a large building in front of it, I assume that is a big box retailor or the office tower, I can not read it to tell for sure.

On the copy I have been tryin gto attach, the parking deck has the office building on top of it with small shop space allaround the deck and another small strip mall in front of that. I do not know which one is more current.