CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Container store....interesting. I love that place. Emailed them last month and asked if they plan on coming to Greenville.....there response was not "no"......and it was written in a way that lead meto believe it was a possibility.....as in "we do not have a signed lease in Greenville". I hope your thugs on the container store are correct.

I would think that with construction underway and parking lots being ripped up there would be a definate site plan at least from the montgomery ward building forward. Do you think they just havent updated their site or are they waiting on a better tenant list before making it public?

For the area currently under construction: http://ldiline.com/s...E10.pdf&dir=SIT

-The small main entrance road that runs north/south bound where the Magnolia Park signage was in front of the old Montgomery Ward building facing Woodruff Road will be extended to where it ends just in front of that building now.

-The parking lot currently in front of that building will be demolished and gone for good to make way for this new road.

-Another new road will be constructed in front of the old Montgomery Ward building where the parking lot was except this one will be east/west bound stretching from Rooms To Go to the back end of McDonald's.

-The similar road you see currently where the three way stop sign is in front of the old Montgomery Ward building will be closed and demolished to make way for small retail shops and La Parilla on the west side of the main entrance (not shown on above site plan) with small retail shops and Cheddar's on the east side of it.

-Basically all of the roads are getting pushed back closer to the old Montgomery Ward building and further from Woodruff Road so the retailers/restaurants can be built.

Edited by citylife

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steel and wood frame going up on Cheddars. Also, the first layer of pavement is down on the road connecting the movie theater to Costco. Does anyone have a timeline when Cheddars should be completed or La Parilla should start?

If you look straight into the development from the main entrance, the new road does not have any curbing in front of the old Montgomery Ward building as if the road is going to continue through the building. Have they decided to tear the building down and change the plans for Superplay?

Edited by greenvilleguy

Steel and wood frame going up on Cheddars. Also, the first layer of pavement is down on the road connecting the movie theater to Costco. Does anyone have a timeline when Cheddars should be completed or La Parilla should start?

If you look straight into the development from the main entrance, the new road does not have any curbing in front of the old Montgomery Ward building as if the road is going to continue through the building. Have they decided to tear the building down and change the plans for Superplay?

I hope so, because Superplay is a bad idea there in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received this interesting news from a source. We'll see if it's right or not:

Sports Authority is closing its Magnolia Park location in August. Emloyees will be transferred to its Laurens Road location. Negotiations with Superplay USA, an indoor game center that was to occupy Montgomery Ward, permanently ceased a long time ago. Bass Pro Shops and Menin Development are finalizing a deal to occupy the entire Montgomery Ward/Sports Authority structure. The structure's size, over 200,000 square feet, is typical for a Bass Pro store. The deal, to be completed in the fall, would allow construction to begin in early 2012 with a November 2012 opening.

Edited by citylife
  • Like 1

Very interesting. This would be a great resolution, IMO. Bass Pro would be in the Greenville city limits rather than in Greer, as originally planned.

Plus that project in Greer would be direct competition to Magnolia and Woodruff Road. Also, the Greer project probably wouldn't happen anyway with the bad economy. That's good because it would be very sprawl-promoting.

Also, something would finally go up in Maqnolia that would be unique and a destination.

Let's hope this pans out.

Just received this interesting news from a source. We'll see if it's right or not:

Sports Authority is closing its Magnolia Park location in August. Emloyees will be transferred to its Laurens Road location. Negotiations with Superplay USA, an indoor game center that was to occupy Montgomery Ward, permanently ceased a long time ago. Bass Pro Shops and Menin Development are finalizing a deal to occupy the entire Montgomery Ward/Sports Authority structure. The structure's size, over 200,000 square feet, is typical for a Bass Pro store. The deal, to be completed in the fall, would allow construction to begin in early 2012 with a November 2012 opening.

While I would be excited to get a Bass Pro Shops in Greenville (not that I would go there that often) I really hope it happens in Greer and not on the already overcrowded Woodruff Road. The reason is that if Greer got the BPS it would likely mean additional development so MAYBE Greer could finally get some more retail.

This is indeed interesting. The Sports Authority on Laurens Rd's lease is out in the coming years (can't remember which). Last I heard, they were not going to sign on again until they see how things pan out. But, with Woodruff's store closing, I wonder if we'll see them leave the market, resign for Laurens Rd, or move elsewhere in Greenville? :dontknow:

I don't think I really like the idea of Bass Pro Shops at Magnolia Park Town Center. Woodruff Road already has REI, which is a perfect fit next to Whole Foods. Bass Pro Shops will add to an already traffic-laden Woodruff Road. While I would be happy for Magnolia Park getting a huge anchor like Bass Pro Shops, I really don't know that they are a good fit for there. A few miles down I-85 would be a better fit. :unsure:

I don't think I really like the idea of Bass Pro Shops at Magnolia Park Town Center. Woodruff Road already has REI, which is a perfect fit next to Whole Foods. Bass Pro Shops will add to an already traffic-laden Woodruff Road. While I would be happy for Magnolia Park getting a huge anchor like Bass Pro Shops, I really don't know that they are a good fit for there. A few miles down I-85 would be a better fit. :unsure:

The Magnolia section of Woodruff actually has low traffic compared to the rest of Woodruff going east, at least at present.

With the economy being what it is, it would be a bad move to add yet another retail corridor/node to the area. I'd rather keep Woodruff/Haywood/Dt going strong than branch out to a new corridor. This way, you can hit all three areas (Haywood, Woodruff east, Woodruff West) in one reasonable trip.

Also, BPS is a tourist draw, which ideally should be as close as possible to the other draws (DT, West End,Zoo).

I'm at least glad that BPS will be in the City. I have more confidence in how the City will spend the money from that tax revenue. It's a good visibility location being at the junction of 85 and 385.

Otherwise, I continue to be disappointed with the lack of direction that Magnolia Park seems to exhibit. I don't even think they know what they're doing anymore (in terms of a masterplan and direction). Or, they're really good at pretending to be haphazard.

I continue to be disappointed with the lack of direction that Magnolia Park seems to exhibit. I don't even think they know what they're doing anymore (in terms of a masterplan and direction). Or, they're really good at pretending to be haphazard.

I agree. I think Magnolia Park has been in damage control mode. They made a huge investment in a very prime piece of real estate, and seem to have missed out on a lot of their targets due to the poor economy. BPS is a huge win for them, and for that I am happy.

Maybe getting BPS will help the entire development get back on track, and we'll see some of the originally rumored tenants become part of Magnolia Park after all. :thumbsup:

Otherwise, I continue to be disappointed with the lack of direction that Magnolia Park seems to exhibit. I don't even think they know what they're doing anymore (in terms of a masterplan and direction). Or, they're really good at pretending to be haphazard.

Unfortunately, there's not much more they can do with the economy the way it is. Things are a lot different now than they were in 2007. Still glad though to see Greenville land tenants like Trader Joe's, Apple, REI, Anthropologie, etc. even if not at Magnolia Park.

Unfortunately, there's not much more they can do with the economy the way it is. Things are a lot different now than they were in 2007. Still glad though to see Greenville land tenants like Trader Joe's, Apple, REI, Anthropologie, etc. even if not at Magnolia Park.

The great thing is that a lot of other retailers have Greenville on their radar, and Magnolia Park is still in a good position to capture them. Places like Urban Outfitters, Z Gallerie, Brooks Brothers, Sephora, Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, Fleming's, etc. will be here soon.

Let's not forget about the mixed use retail center in the Haywood area that we first heard about a few years ago. I still have high hopes for that, especially with the "Uptown" master plan currently being developed. :thumbsup:

The great thing is that a lot of other retailers have Greenville on their radar, and Magnolia Park is still in a good position to capture them. Places like Urban Outfitters, Z Gallerie, Brooks Brothers, Sephora, Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, Fleming's, etc. will be here soon.

Let's not forget about the mixed use retail center in the Haywood area that we first heard about a few years ago. I still have high hopes for that, especially with the "Uptown" master plan currently being developed. :thumbsup:

Can you elaborate on the "Uptown" master plan?

Great to hear about BPS going to Magnolia. thumbsup.gif

As for traffic concerns, has the proposed access from I-385 directly to Magnolia been scrapped? Lemme tell ya, traffic on that Woodruff Road stretch between Roper Mtn./Verdae and I-85 is absolutely nasty on a Saturday. It's not bad all day like around Shops At Gridlock, but any new routes would be very much appreciated! (Yeah, I know. Quit my kvetching and just take Roper Mountain around it all...)

An employee at Sports Authority said yesterday that the Laurens Road location is closing August 14th, not the Woodruff Road site. He also said that they were supposed to be moving to a new building closer to Costco. I'm sure someone could call either location and find out as it does not seem to be a secret. I think BPS would would work behind Whole Foods considering the back access via Market Point Drive and Salters Road. Also they would be much more visible from 85. I hope MP doesn't turn into a few big boxes with restaurant outparcels since it has the potential to be more upscale.

An employee at Sports Authority said yesterday that the Laurens Road location is closing August 14th, not the Woodruff Road site. He also said that they were supposed to be moving to a new building closer to Costco.

Hmmm...interesting. Maybe my source got the two locations confused. :dontknow: Sports Authority in a new building next to Costco and BPS in the old building would also work. :thumbsup: