CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

Greenridge looks a lot better than this- both in "upscale-ness" and architectural quality. I don't really like the sea of parking between the inner buildings and outer horseshoe of Greenridge, but it's an attractive shopping center.

How can you say that when no renderings have been released of the building exteriors? Are you just basing it on the layout of the buildings?

Greenridge is a glorified strip mall with large parking lots in front of every store. At least the latest plans for Magnolia Park Town Center aim to create a true "village" atmosphere by opening most of the store fronts onto sidewalks along a street, adjacent to and across from other store fronts. The inclusion of office and especially residential space is a significant improvement over the most recent previous plan.

Have any of you ever been to the Village at Sandhill in Columbia? How do you think Greenridge/Mag place stacks up stacks up against that place?

As far as traffic is concerned: Village at Sandhill benefits from having an out-there location. Traffic is a non-issue. I've gone into VAS simply to eat lunch at Moe's once and then Wild Wing another time. You would rarely, if ever, find me going into Greenridge just to eat at Salsaritas. Life is too short for that.

I think Magnolia Park will be much more intimate by having parking decks and thus that much more walkable.

The partially built parts are on the edges of the property, and are a small part of the total project. As for the bowling alley, have you seen the Epicentre in Charlotte?

I own a condo just a few blocks away from the Epicentre so yes, many times.

Given the development so far at Magnolia Park, I have lost hope in the "elegant/upscale" center that gsupstate promised and am expecting more of the same. I am certainly eager to hear anything that proves me wrong, however.

The partially built parts are on the edges of the property, and are a small part of the total project.

Correct. None of the village has yet to even be built, except for Cheddars. Magnolia always planned to have big box on the one end, and if anyone looks at the site plan, they see it is close to the original plan. So how anyone can judge a 15% finished project, I'm not sure. I won't defend Menin though. They fumbled in several ways on this project, but their fumbling became other's wins as many of the stores slated, still opened or are opening in Greenville in other locations (Apple, Trader Joes, REI, Anthropologie, Soma, J.Jill, Aldo, etc)

Anyone that works with retail development, realizes town centers are very different from malls, in that they can be built in parts and pieces (being separate buildings) and can be re-purposed / re-tenanted on the turn of dime. If Magnolia turns out upscale, great, if not thats OK, as Greenville's retail scene continues to expand at an excellent rate....attracting the retail Menin tried to bring to their property. Anyone that has issues with Magnolia, write to Menin.....express you displeasure direct to Menin.....don't just whine on an internet board.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like construction has finally started on the small retail building slated to be built next to Cheddar's.

Cool news! I wish they would rework the Frontage Road/Roper Mountain intersection and add a back entrance into Magnolia Park across 385 via bridge. This would hopefully force them to widen Roper Mountain Road.

BTW does anyone know if they will EVER widen Roper Mountain Road. It's needed it for years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Folks, you are all talking about Magnolia Park as if it is the same development that was announce months ago. It is not. The property has changed hands. This could very possibly be a very different development than we originally expected. Other than the previously sold out parcels, the site map everyone is using for reference is likely to be pointless.

I know for a fact that some of the businesses we are assuming will be at Magnolia, based on this site plan, are instead talking (very seriously) to other area developments. This would indicate to me that any possible agreements that may have existed with the original developers of Magnolia Park did not transfer with the sale of the property. This would not be surprising or unusual considering no building has begun.

In all likelihood, the new property owner will develop their own plan and negotiate with their own tenants.

I decided to go back and read some of this thread. Couldn't help but notice this post made by Crescentmoon almost five years ago on March 30, 2007 that you can find on page 33. Needless to say he was spot on. Knew I should have listened instead of thinking this project was going to be one of the best things to come to Greenville. :sick:

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...

For the area currently under construction: http://ldiline.com/s...E10.pdf&dir=SIT

-The similar road you see currently where the three way stop sign is in front of the old Montgomery Ward building will be closed and demolished to make way for small retail shops and La Parilla on the west side of the main entrance

Where oh where is the promised La Parilla?

Coming soon signage is now up for Christmas Tree Shops. :thumbsup:

Where oh where is the promised La Parilla?

Don't know. Ask Menin. They were the ones who announced it not me: http://www.wyff4.com...696/detail.html I was just providing the information the company posted. Don't shoot the messenger.

In a statement, Marc Yavinsky, Executive Vice President said, “We have signed leases with two new tenants and are in advanced discussions with several other tenants for this phase and future phases at Magnolia Park. Over the past 6 months, we have had an incredible amount of interest in Magnolia Park as tenants are coming back to the market for top quality locations.”

Yavinksy said two new freestanding restaurants will be built and are expected to open in late 2011.

“Cheddar’s Casual Café Inc. has over 80 restaurants in 20 states and this will be their first location in South Carolina," said Yavinsky. "Menin has also signed a lease with regional restaurant chain La Parrilla Mexican Restaurant. La Parrilla Mexican Restaurant is a full service, casual dining Mexican restaurant with 16 locations operating in Georgia and Alabama and this will be their first location in South Carolina as well."

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...

Magnolia Park has an updated website and the site plan looks like a newer one with the new building in the correct location between McDonalds and Cheddars. One of the images shows Forever XXI in the background. I wonder if this is a hint of things to come or if it is just an example showing the style of the development...

• 2 weeks later...

They sure are making it look so much better than what we've been led to believe recently. Maybe it won't be "Cherrydale 2" after all.

Have to give them credit for a sense of humor, though, as seen on page three of the brochure citylife provided earlier: http://www.magnoliap...arkBrochure.pdf

Notice the 4 guys in the crosswalk?

Ya never know, maybe this whole plan will finally "come together." Ugh, sorry. Couldn't resist. :shades:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...