CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Magnolia Park Town Center

g-man430

With regards to parking there is a big parking lot in front of the bigger stores, but looks at the smaller stores and they are all pretty close together. Also do not forget that there are two parking decks in the project.

I still can not get the site plan I have to attach, but it is different from the one on the flyer. If you look at the parking deck near CompUSA it has a large building in front of it, I assume that is a big box retailor or the office tower, I can not read it to tell for sure.

On the copy I have been tryin gto attach, the parking deck has the office building on top of it with small shop space allaround the deck and another small strip mall in front of that. I do not know which one is more current.

Does your copy include the 7-8 story office and residential midrises? Are those still in the plan? I recall you mentioning before that we would all be VERY pleased with the company who will likely be locating there.

The copy I have does, but I have had it since beofre they had a flyer one their website. And since I can not read the one on the flyer, I can not tell if that one box is a office tower or retail.

Since I still can not get the PDF to attach, here is a scanned jpg. compere the section nearest to COMP USA on this one with the flyer.

MagnoliaPark.jpg

Actually, now that I go back and look, that is not the only difference. Look at both sides of the Sports Authority.

That looks good but go to the Stony Point Fashion Park website (http://www.shopstonypoint.com) and there might be some pictures and the mallmanac shows that there is just pedestrian space, rather than parking lots, between stores. Stony Point is absolutely beautiful and has a resort/upscale village feel to it. Makes a big difference in the overall appearance of the center. I trust that Magnolia Park will have the other things that make Stony Point so nice, such as ornate architecture, fountains, beautiful plantings, such as a big and fancy planting and gate right at the entrance, and more so MP will certainly be better than the corpse of my beloved Greenville Mall there, even if it's not another Stony Point.

would love to c something similar in gville to north hills in raleigh. that is one of the best redevelopments i have seen in a long time!!

I agree. North Hills is beautiful, and its anchors are mid-market: Target and JC Penney. So I could be underestimating Magnolia Park. North Hills still doesn't have big parking lots between the buildings; it's very pedestrian-friendly.

btoy, didn't the article say that the office building would be located next to Regal Hollwood 20? That is where it was planned from the beginning, from what I understood, although it is dependant on whether the corporation decides to move or not.

That is correct, in the drawing I posted the tower was to be on top of the parking garage next to Regal. I asked a few questions, and the drawing on the flyer is the latest. I got a better version of it and the box in front of the parking garage next to the Regal says 9 Story office tower on it.

That is correct, in the drawing I posted the tower was to be on top of the parking garage next to Regal. I asked a few questions, and the drawing on the flyer is the latest. I got a better version of it and the box in front of the parking garage next to the Regal says 9 Story office tower on it.

Wow, that will make quite an impact on the midtown "skyline" along I-385!

It will, but wouldn't having that 9 stories on top of a few stories of parking make an even bigger impact?

Absolutely! :blink: I can't imagine why they would change that plan, unless they are fairly certain the office could be delayed until after the rest of the development is complete. Nine stories is great anywhere, but for impact and visibility, I think it would be in everyone's best interest to build above the garage. Oh well, it's their tower in the end. I will be pleased no matter what they build, if the corporation is as great as I think it is. :shades:

It will, but wouldn't having that 9 stories on top of a few stories of parking make an even bigger impact?

Don't you know anything about construction?

It is much more expensive to have a tower structure as part of a parking structure.

Efficient structure design is one of the key economic driving forces to any successful project.

It is much more expensive to have a tower structure as part of a parking structure.

Efficient structure design is one of the key economic driving forces to any successful project.

I think btoy knows a thing or two about construction, especially since he is in the real estate business. Welcome to the forum. :unsure:

Edited by Greenville

Welcome to UrbanPlanet.org, greenupstate! Hope you join in more often. :D

While I uderstand what you mean, I think success can also be measured in the effectiveness of visibility. Considering this is likely a major corporation that would prefer to have its name in plain view, that location offers tremendous potential to raise awareness of its presence both on I-385 as well as I-85. Personall, I would think they'd like as much visibility as possible to capitalize on that location. Keep in mind, the developer had originally said the office building would indeed be built above the parking garage.

It is sort of where Montgomery Wards is now. It is next to a parking garage and surounded by small shop space. It has a small foot print. compared to the office tower.

I was thinking of the office tower, my bad. I had forgot there could be a residential and an office tower, not just one or the other. :thumbsup:

Edited by g-man430

It's a rather "ho-hum" design, but if it is actually built, you'll not hear any complaints about it from me for awhile. Right now, though, I'd rather see something dramatic above the roof. I don't like the completely flat rooftop designs, without some form of architectural feature. :rolleyes:

Of course, the fact that more people will move into the city limits is always a huge plus, so I'm all for it! :lol:

And the corporate office portion, btoy????

Edited by Skyliner

Looks a little Myrtle Beachish, but hey, I'll take it. I do agree with skyliner, let's make the roof a little less flat. Perhaps Gville could pass a building ordinance:

No rooftop for any structure over three stories in height shall have a flat roof. All roofs must be architecturally and aesthetically pleasing incorporating as many angles, spires, or other height adding traits as possible. Also requires UP approval. :P

Looks a little Myrtle Beachish, but hey, I'll take it. I do agree with skyliner, let's make the roof a little less flat. Perhaps Gville could pass a building ordinance:

No rooftop for any structure over three stories in height shall have a flat roof. All roofs must be architecturally and aesthetically pleasing incorporating as many angles, spires, or other height adding traits as possible. Also requires UP approval. :P

Did you know that the City of Greenville did pass a very similar regulation at one time, back in the late 1990's. I believe it was amended at least slightly since though. <_<

Edited by Skyliner