Symphony Tower - 41 stories, 647 feet

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

1180-peachtreeweb.jpg

1180 Peachtree will be a new 41-story office tower at the corner of Peachtree and 14th streets in Midtown Atlanta. The 670,000-square-foot building will be built alongside the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

Hines, the international real estate firm, recently announced plans to develop 1180 Peachtree, a new 41-story office tower at the corner of Peachtree and 14th streets in Midtown Atlanta. The 681,000-square-foot building will be built alongside the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Guest donaltopablo

Turner Construction Co.'s Atlanta division will build the planned 41-story office tower in Midtown Atlanta at the intersection of 14th and Peachtree Streets.

The new office tower, designed by Pickard Chilton Architects of New Haven, Conn., will become home to King & Spalding, which is leasing approximately 416,000 square feet on 17 floors in the building, and will be the building's major tenant.

Turner Construction is the general contractor for the project. The building will rise approximately 647 feet at 1180 Peachtree and will be the tallest structure to be built in Atlanta since 1992. It will open during the first quarter of 2006.

• 11 months later...

Getting hot in food

Tower's posh 13,000-square-foot eatery could push Midtown to restaurant fore

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/27/05

Mick's pioneer Bob Amick, the smart-set restaurateur who feeds the likes of Bono and Usher, is dishing what could be the most prominent restaurant in town.

Amick, operator of shoulder-to-shoulder, beautiful-people hangouts One Midtown Kitchen and Two Urban Licks, plans to open a towering restaurant at 1180 Peachtree, King & Spalding's as-yet-unfinished Midtown skyscraper

Bob Amick has signed a lease for his new restaurant in the yet-to-be-finished King & Spalding skyscraper behind him on 14th Street, overlooking the new Atlanta Symphony Hall. It's among the most sought-after restaurant sites.

Just steps away: a new top-secret Atlanta Symphony Orchestra hall, with its well-to-do

• 4 months later...

I just visited Atl last week and saw this building. The siting is a bit small for such a building. It does not relate to the street and the new canyon of 14th street with its big power pole as a focal point is very distressing for such a prime corner.

• 5 months later...

When King & Spalding move into 1180 Peachtree in Midtown, they will be one of many tenants that are leaving 191 Peachtree in Downtown.
That's something I wonder about, too. It's great to see an attractive new building go up on Midtown, yet what's in store for the 191 Peachtree Tower downtown? I think of 191 as one of Atlanta's modern icons -- it's roughly twice the size (1.3 million sf) of the new structure at 1180 and was Building of the Year as recently as 1998.

However, its two anchor tenants are relocating to Midtown. I hope that doesn't mean too many lights go out downtown, just as things seem to be cranking up again. Hopefully Koch Industries will keep its Georgia Pacific division in Atlanta for the time being as that's another 1.1 million sf building.

From everything I have read about the Koch purchase of GP, they plan to let GP operate as they always have...I don't think ATL will notice much difference on a day to day basis, we'll just have to revise the list of Fortune 500 comapnies HQ'ed here. :cry:

What may change is what kind of corporate citizen they are. Will they still contribute to the local causes? Will they sponsor the local arts, etc.?

From everything I have read about the Koch purchase of GP, they plan to let GP operate as they always have...I don't think ATL will notice much difference on a day to day basis, we'll just have to revise the list of Fortune 500 comapnies HQ'ed here. :cry:

Knowing Atlanta, they'll replace it in no time :P

Why don't we discuss it in this thread?

In that picture the fins aren't "really" lit up. It looks so much different compared to that... very very bright and sleek. I've tried to take some pictures on several nights, but they don't seem to want to light it up any longer. I think I may have just seen it on a fluke night when they were testing the lights or something. The moment I see them back on I'll snag a pic though, because it's very beautiful.

I saw it lit tonight and was going to take a picture. But Taking a picture while driving up the connector isn't the easiest thing, in terms of keeping the camera steady. But it was beautiful, now we need to get the work on the next 40+ story tower...........

Can you say 3344 Peachtree? 50 Allen Plaza? (those are the first two to really pop into my head)

The things I like best about this building are its placement and its beautiful mirrored surface. It floats in the center of the Midtown skyline. If you envision the building without the fins or the reflective surface, you're looking at another fairly nondescript office tower, of which we have plenty in this town. Atlanta needs more architecture like this!

That Kendall-Heaton firm really has an impressive portfolio.

1180Peachtree03.gif

Archived