Worst City in Florida to drive in.

cameronm

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miami Beach.

I visited there for the first time last summer and the cab drivers are very aggressive and rude. I was at the front of the line waiting for a red light to change a couple times and as soon as the light went green they were beeping their horns. I'm not talking about a courtesy beep for someone day dreaming when the light changes. It was a matter of habit where they seemed to beep when the light turned green just in case you weren't paying attention. The cab drivers use to do this in New York city until the city made it illegal to do so to cut down on noise.

pick your poison. every major city has retirees, tourists, illegal immigrants who can't drive, nascar fans, rice burning fast and furious clones, college students, high schoolers, truckers, cabbies, and all around bad drivers.

True, and South Orlando has the worst drivers with all the tourists, but for aggressive driving and rudeness Miami Beach cabbies are the worst.

Does Hialeah count? I absolutely frickin hate Hialeah. It's so densely crowded, with zero lot lines and 8 or 9 people with 5 or 6 cars living in a 3 bedroom house. Of course, it's no surprise that Hialeah is also home to part of the Palmetto Expressway. If the Palmetto Expressway was a person, it'd have to be someone whose the biggest beotch in the world, but I digress.

I know it's a suburb, but why doesn't Hialeah consider some mass transit other than MDTA? It's ridiculously dense. But in all of South Florida (or Dade for that matter), that's my most hated place to drive :w00t:

US 27 between Haines City and Clermont has to be one of the most dangerous stretches of HWY I've ever been on with all the trucks and lack of street lights and turn lanes.

Yeah, driving anywhere in Clermont on SR50 and US27 sucks ass. Orlando is pretty bad too, especially at rush hour. *shudders* :sick:

Another vote here for Miami/Hialeah/Dade. Nothing in the state even comes close to The Palmetto between The Dolphin and the Big Curve. Also The Dolphin itself is awful. As far as non-freeways go, South Dixie Highway in the Kendall area.

Another vote here for Miami/Hialeah/Dade. Nothing in the state even comes close to The Palmetto between The Dolphin and the Big Curve. Also The Dolphin itself is awful. As far as non-freeways go, South Dixie Highway in the Kendall area.

We locals, or least myself, refer to South Dixie Highway (US 1) as "Useless One". Too bad it's the only way to get to my friend's house when I visit back home!

The Palmetto is bad, but contrary to what you might believe, it's not the busiest freeway in South Florida. The busiest freeway section is I-95 between I-595 and Sunrise Blvd at over 300,000 vehicles daily. The Palmetto has 225,000 at the most. But, the Palmetto also does not have 12 lanes. The Palmetto is a beotch, the biggest beotch in the whole wide world. I ultimately have to use it to get to most places I'm going back home.

Everyone thinks Thomasville Road is soooo bad up here in Tally. They've never been on the Palmetto Bug ;)

You could put Miami Beach up there near the top as well. Aside from the obviously insanely bad traffic on weekends on Washington, Collins and Ocean Dr at night (it would take you for example an hour to go about 10 to 15 blocks). The real bad thing is the condition of the roads on some of the residential roads you can lose an entire car into a pot hole, and thank god they redid Washinton Ave because last year it had to be in the worst condition of any major arterial I've ever seen in the 13th through Lincoln Rd area. It was like you were driving off road with all the bumps and potholes. Luckily driving isn't all that necessary on the beach but you do have to drive to get there.

well while we're on the subject of Miami, try LeJeune northbound from US 1 during rush hour in the pm. try getting past the MIA and then try to get out of Dade... but you can't, see... b/c the 836 is backed up... so you have to gamble on city streets and cut-thru's... then you find yourself in Opa Locka, in an attempt to get to I-75. next time, I'll stay on the beachside and take Collins up. it is an adventure, though.

The Palmetto is bad, but contrary to what you might believe, it's not the busiest freeway in South Florida. The busiest freeway section is I-95 between I-595 and Sunrise Blvd at over 300,000 vehicles daily. The Palmetto has 225,000 at the most. But, the Palmetto also does not have 12 lanes. The Palmetto is a beotch, the biggest beotch in the whole wide world. I ultimately have to use it to get to most places I'm going back home.

Really jpl02? I-95 in Broward between Sunrise and I-595 is the busiest freeway section in FL? I'm not doubting you, I'm just very surprised. I would have thought that I-95 between Golden Glades and downtown MIA would have been the busiest section of freeway in the State. I drive that Broward portion all the time and never really think it's that bad.

I also believe or feel that the travel lanes on the Palmetto are smaller than most freeway travel lanes in the State....is this true or is it just my imagination?

Really jpl02? I-95 in Broward between Sunrise and I-595 is the busiest freeway section in FL? I'm not doubting you, I'm just very surprised. I would have thought that I-95 between Golden Glades and downtown MIA would have been the busiest section of freeway in the State. I drive that Broward portion all the time and never really think it's that bad.

I also believe or feel that the travel lanes on the Palmetto are smaller than most freeway travel lanes in the State....is this true or is it just my imagination?

Yep poonther. I'm on FDOT's mailing list and yet their yearly CD with all the traffic counts from all over Florida. I've spent a lot of time looking over it, just for fun.

There's several explanations why the Broward sections of I-95 aren't as bad as the Dade sections. First of all, in Dade, the exits are spaced closer apart than in Broward, which allows for more people to 1) enter the freeway period and 2) use the freeway for short distances rather than city streets).

Plus, most of the traffic on I-95 in Dade during rush hour is all bound to downtown Miami. Nobody's getting off on local exits, which makes the traffic worse. In Broward, people on I-95 are constantly getting on, getting off, because there's no one centralized destination that everyone's going to. That leads into a LONG discussion on trip planning, which is really technical and boring, lol.

The travel lanes on the Palmetto have to meet a certain standard, so they're as wide as any other freeway in the state. Now in the construction zones, yes, they are narrowed. And boy are those a pain to drive through! Not to mention the heavy swerves when entering the constructuon zones, ha ha :lol:

well while we're on the subject of Miami, try LeJeune northbound from US 1 during rush hour in the pm. try getting past the MIA and then try to get out of Dade... but you can't, see... b/c the 836 is backed up... so you have to gamble on city streets and cut-thru's... then you find yourself in Opa Locka, in an attempt to get to I-75. next time, I'll stay on the beachside and take Collins up. it is an adventure, though.

I agree with the MIC construction going on LeJeune near the airport is one of the worst but at least thats only "temporary" (i.e. will only last 5 to 10 years)

I agree with the MIC construction going on LeJeune near the airport is one of the worst but at least thats only "temporary" (i.e. will only last 5 to 10 years)

If you think that's bad, wait until next year when they begin the total reconstruction of the Palmetto/Dolphin interchange. That project is going to be quite the beotch for the 4 or 5 years, or however long it takes to complete. And that's putting it very lightly.

If you go to the Palmetto/Okeechobee Corridor construction project website, you can see a rendering of the new interchange.

http://www.fdotpalmetto.com/p-826836.html

Archived