UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

• 2 months later...

Here's some pictures, Denny has been gutted, a new generator or air system is being built in front of Burson, Lot 5 and 6 have some sort of piping being installed, pipes are also being put under the bridge between the Union and Lynch, and the rail line is coming along great. I'll post the rain pics in both threads. Also, the old miner statue looks really good in its new spot.

e9l8L6K.jpg

ObAK7cC.jpg

59vZpms.jpg

0ryKY8M.jpg

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 8:09 PM, End_The_Sprawl said:

Crews have cut down foliage beside/behind North Lot.

IMG_0012.thumb.JPG.7140f24f1d8ad30e95287cdd8a95e80a.JPG

Denny renovations have expanded to include Macy and Barnard.IMG_0068.thumb.JPG.752e0750e99361d01b42611d0f10482b.JPG

IMG_0071.thumb.JPG.1c4dd93139f4679679928c3636d39bc8.JPG

The Candy Shoppe in the Cone Center has been removed.

IMG_0067.thumb.JPG.aac2ecff59569f5a25bf34350bfd9600.JPG

Next, Fretwell. HVAC sucks. Classrooms always smelled like feet and BO. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

I’m hoping they’ll do Burson as soon as they finish the new science building. Also, they really need to figure out the sidewalks. Every time there’s a large amount of rain the bricks start to warp, especially around Kennedy.

Burson is almost done! I've noticed the same about the bricks. It's really bad next to Rowe. I've seen them reset the bricks more than once, but they don't stay even for long. 

I think they are changing out the HVAC in Burson, which is a good first step for the building. I feel as though they need to change out some of the interior doors and desks in the lecture halls. In addition, they need to get rid of the carpeting on the benches (one of which was on fire a few years ago when I was in a Gen Ed chemistry course).

25 minutes ago, tarwater said:

Burson is almost done! I've noticed the same about the bricks. It's really bad next to Rowe. I've seen them reset the bricks more than once, but they don't stay even for long. 

Today I was handed a flier about naming the new heath center by the union. I’m not sure if anyone has posted a picture of what the building will look like yet, but I don’t blame them, it looks exactly like CHHS, COED, etc. it does give information about what will be inside though, which is interesting.

Here’s what will be contained within:

-An indoor pool

-An outdoor pool

-4 multi-purpose courts

-Multi-purpose fitness studio

-Cycling studio

-An elevated walking/running track (indoors)

-30,000 sq ft of cardio and strength training equipment 

-Demo kitchen

0F3C8CD6-7406-4317-B61E-2976E0677E71.thumb.jpeg.e3417cf6dcbaa9f27235af24878454ec.jpeg

735791D5-AE5C-4028-8AF2-0DB954146BA4.thumb.jpeg.95228ca622aa486a438c429290fcc468.jpeg

A687C5AE-D952-4242-B6B0-04D935C42C05.thumb.png.4c5d7d83a989b70186a346a420235d0a.png

No why the university would distribute this information physically by the library and not through email is intriguing. Since the voting is online, it’s a wonder they didn’t just send a campus wide email with a link. Although, they are pretty bad at getting people to voluntarily do something...

16 minutes ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

Today I was handed a flier about naming the new heath center by the union. I’m not sure if anyone has posted a picture of what the building will look like yet, but I don’t blame them, it looks exactly like CHHS, COED, etc. it does give information about what will be inside though, which is interesting.

Here’s what will be contained within:

-An indoor pool

-An outdoor pool

-4 multi-purpose courts

-Multi-purpose fitness studio

-Cycling studio

-An elevated walking/running track (indoors)

-30,000 sq ft of cardio and strength training equipment 

-Demo kitchen

0F3C8CD6-7406-4317-B61E-2976E0677E71.thumb.jpeg.e3417cf6dcbaa9f27235af24878454ec.jpeg

No why the university would distribute this information physically by the library and not through email is intriguing. Since the voting is online, it’s a wonder they didn’t just send a campus wide email with a link. Although, they are pretty bad at getting people to voluntarily do something...

Good lord, I respect the fact that UNCC uses so much brick these days (Fretwell, cough) but that's a clone next to a clone next to a clone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new PATS building has gone up fast, compare the picture from Saturday with the picture from Wednesday (yesterday).

Saturday:

1040728F-9D47-413C-A807-6A9D8F241994.thumb.jpeg.18b68b8f6f0652151ecc7a3fa19f1aaa.jpeg

64EF07DF-7560-4FEB-96E4-D6022BE37FE7.thumb.jpeg.ca7990c25a67ca0a6fe7ddaa7beddbfb.jpeg

Wednesday:

B29E3782-AED7-4E66-B463-DAAD96AEB607.thumb.jpeg.af5ec54728511de72126f0672461beae.jpeg

Not much has changed with regards to the other new buildings.

The Denny revamps are going well, with Denny having furniture delivered and the other two look to be on schedule.

I’ll get pictures of those once the semester is over, which is not soon enough tbh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 10:12 AM, End_The_Sprawl said:

The new PATS building has gone up fast, compare the picture from Saturday with the picture from Wednesday (yesterday).

Saturday:

1040728F-9D47-413C-A807-6A9D8F241994.thumb.jpeg.18b68b8f6f0652151ecc7a3fa19f1aaa.jpeg

64EF07DF-7560-4FEB-96E4-D6022BE37FE7.thumb.jpeg.ca7990c25a67ca0a6fe7ddaa7beddbfb.jpeg

Wednesday:

B29E3782-AED7-4E66-B463-DAAD96AEB607.thumb.jpeg.af5ec54728511de72126f0672461beae.jpeg

Not much has changed with regards to the other new buildings.

The Denny revamps are going well, with Denny having furniture delivered and the other two look to be on schedule.

I’ll get pictures of those once the semester is over, which is not soon enough tbh.

I miss the old mountain bike trails. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New project was just announced through Niner Times, article written by Jacob Baum:

(basically redesigning the campus east of the botanical gardens and Bonnie Cone's grave)

5a974769b71d3_EASTCAMPUS.PNG.1491f357f56cd59872b4ec65c21b0cdd.PNG

Changes will be coming to campus next spring, as part the university’s master plan. The long-term plan, which was developed by facilities management, the Office of the Chancellor and other leaders on campus, highlights major multi-million dollar projects that will improve the campus over the next decade or so. Part of that master plan included the East Campus Infrastructure Project, which began planning in the spring of 2014.

Almost four years later, the East Campus Infrastructure project moved from the planning phase to the design phase. The project has an estimated budget of $7.687 million. However, some of the cost will be split between the City of Charlotte and the N.C. Department of Transportation because some of the roads involved are maintained by the city and state.

The project will introduce a new traffic layout in the east campus area. This new traffic pattern will result in the closing of parking lot 6A and the shutdown of entrances and exits on campus. The construction phase of this project is scheduled to start March 2019 with a projected completion date sometime in May 2020. During the construction phase, it may be an inconvenience for drivers. 

Brian Kugler, the senior project manager with UNC Charlotte’s facilities management office, explained how the university plans to handle the construction phase of the project.

“There will be lane closures during construction with directed traffic. The intent is not to have any full road closures and we hope to have the bulk of construction take place during the summer when the traffic loads are lighter,” Kugler said.

The construction will also be broken up into different stages to ensure drivers can access this area of campus at all times while construction takes place. 

The most notable change is the east campus entrance will be remodeled. John Kirk Drive will be routed into campus to meet with Cameron Boulevard at a signalized intersection, bringing with it the thousands of cars that travel on that road each day.

The purpose behind the new traffic pattern is to lower congestion in that area, add independent and separated bike lanes for students as well as lay the foundation for a bigger project.

Once the traffic redesign is complete, the next project in that area, according to the long-term plan, is the addition of multiple multi-million dollar buildings in the new area over the course of about a decade.

The major Martin Hall parking lot, known as Lot Six, will be replaced with a parking deck that will be one of the largest parking decks on campus.

A new residence hall, adjacent from Martin Hall, will start planning or design until 2022.

The university has also looked into building a Garden Welcome Center and a Performing Arts Center, which will be placed in that same area. However, these ideas are not yet in the formal planning process and years away.

One thing is for sure, when students arrive from the summer break for the 2019-20 academic year, they will no longer see the East Campus they’ve come to know, rather the framework for the future of UNC Charlotte’s East Campus expansion plan.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 8:53 AM, SentioVenia said:

^^That depicts a lake where CAB is now.  Are there plans to demolish that?

I don't think they will untill around 2020, when the alignment of the east campus roads are complete. Although, it might be used as a staging area for construction materials, as there is a lay down area near CAB for the Belk Plaza supplies.