UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

22 hours ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

Boiler tower coming down:

ScienceBuilding_construction_camera222.thumb.jpg.cd7f4f1659b92a0d08220a60389e25d9.jpg

One of the few items I would have like to see kept.. Oh well the new building should be fairly nice. Still not the most impressive thing ever for the price being payed. It is one of the worst areas of campus though so I'm glad they're cleaning it up. Also for the record screw PATS the Nazis of UNC Charlotte.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Story about UNC Charlotte growth and the max. enrollment would be 40,000 with the land it has.

""Both PORTAL and UNC Charlotte are on a roll, with enrollment at the university topping 29,700 during the fall semester, an all-time high for the school that was founded in 1949. That number makes it third among other University of North Carolina System institutions, behind UNC Chapel Hill and N.C. State.  That’s getting close to the goal of 35,000 by 2025 set by Dubois. He now says the university may have to boost that goal. “We’re talking about it,” Dubois says. A study found the maximum number of students UNC Charlotte could handle is 40,000 with the amount of land it owns, Dubois says.""

subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/02/11/photos-whats-driving-unc-charlottes-record-setting.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2019-02-11&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1549917642&j=86602611

They only have built on a third of the land on their current campus. With increased density, I find that approximation low. Im not sure they would ever reach that number, but i wish they would continue the efforts to bring a medical school to downtown campus and even a law program.

• Like 3

On 1/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, SentioVenia said:

^^Oh man, that brings back memories.  I was in Cedar Hall in the late '80s and CAB was my primary dining hall.  They would often have shows out there in the amphitheater, including a killer '80s cover band that played fall '88.  All the Journey and Def Leppard a young man could want.

I was in Moore Hall in the '80s but I'd sometimes come over to that dining hall for lunch for a change of atmosphere (and menu).

18 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

They only have built on a third of the land on their current campus. With increased density, I find that approximation low. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  Build taller.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the things that was talked about during the Chancellor's Forum last month was the HAWC, and the opening of the building has been pushed back to spring break of 2020, due to all the the rain delaying construction during February.  Which is fair, though completely unsurprising considering the same thing happened to the light rail station. 

In other news, once the new science building is complete, the plan is to move all classes out of Burson, and move any offices into Cameron, so that Burson can have some heavy renovations done. Then they're moving the biology department out of Woodward and into the renovated Burson, so that the other departments in Woodward can have more room. They will also be finishing the Bioinformatics building since apparently they never finished the top sections. I didn't think that would be a valid strategy but I don't exactly build academic buildings, so who knows. 

Here's the webcam by the way, and it finally updated. 1615288527_ScienceBuilding_construction_camera(1).thumb.jpg.54d335a673bae28ce8a7ccb6f09bdfee.jpg

Finally, here's a story about the Chancellor taking the Governor to see Burson in person. Thrilling.

https://ninertimes.com/2019/03/house-bill-241-unc-system-seeks-200-million-for-system-wide-improvements/

How's everyone's opinion on the name change debate? Lot's of heated discussion on twitter and elsewhere.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

It kills me that every UNC campus has progressive architecture except the one of the two with a decent architecture program: UNC Charlotte.

I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts about this .... are there specific campuses or buildings on those campuses that you really like?  

9 minutes ago, teeg said:

I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts about this .... are there specific campuses or buildings on those campuses that you really like?  

I don't think he likes the Lincoln Harris, Morrocroft style architecture.

^ I think I see what you are saying.  I am far more familiar with UNC Charlotte than any other campus in the area, but I have been checking others out when I can.  I actually visited State and Chapel Hill on Friday.  Both are great in their own way (but also disappointing is some respects). and I could not have seen 5% of either campus, but it was a thought-provoking trip and I left with the feeling that UNC Charlotte does have some things going for it, even if it's the SouthPark of the UNC system.  

As someone who’s been to various campuses both in state and out of state for various competitions, Charotte’s campus is nice by itself, but there could be a little bit more architectural variety. Or memorable landmarks (rip Belk Tower). Kennesaw State has a piece of the Berlin Wall, and Chapel Hill has some interesting functionalist architecture at least. Hopefully when the next phase of new buildings is made there can be a different style. 

This will be known as the “DuBois era” of campus buildings lmao

• Like 2