UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

bump, i was driving by the campus today along the new portion of Mallard Creek Ch Rd near University City Blvd and noticed a great deal of construction along the Northern side of the road. I can't find any news blurbs about any kind of development along East MCCRd at all. Anybody have any information about this?

^^Are you talking about the Greek Village that is going up off of John Kirk Road?? There is alot of buildings going up in there.

Nope, I knew about that, I'm talkin about the new part of Mallard Creek Ch, further down from John Kirk, just before the road ends at 49/UC Blvd

The construction you are talking about on the north side of the new Mallard Creek Church Rd is site work for 300+ new townhomes for students. A LLC called Forty-Niner Development petitioned for a rezoning in 2003. They have finally started work on that project. I believe it is petition #007 in the 2003 folder on the Charmeck Site. They have a detailed site plan for anyone to see. This kind of project shows that the school is growing and that more and more students are living on or next to campus.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pic of the student union, looks pretty good for what it will be. I'm going into my sophmore year at the school so I hope I get to experience it, (at least the wendys so i dont have to go to the one near Little Ceasers) I also can't wait for that new entrance, the one now is god awful not only look wise but driving safety wise. The traffic lights never make any sense esp when I left turn out of that itll also let someone go straight right where im turning. Because of which alot of times i left turn out of the road near the Circle K.

Edited by Batou

Well look at what Chapel Hill has. A med school, law school, hundreds of PhD programs, and the alumni contribute more as a percentage than the alumni of my (our?) school do - in fact the alumni giving rate at UNC Charlotte has been pretty poor for a very long time. There is certainly more money in their (Chapel Hill's) alumni and a pride that is typical of a well established institution.

That's just my opinion.

well one thing is true . . . we carolina grads to have a pride that is typical of well established institutions. And our giving could definately be higher. Now I am in the mba program at unc-c and all i want is for that program to become a nationally renowned program. its typical - students and alumni want their university to be the best and I am excited to hear that unc-c is doing all the growing that it is doing. i am especially excited about the new uptown building and i hope that no expense is spared (bc we dang well pay enough in the mba program)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/educatio...amp;oref=slogin

This article by the NY Times mentions UNC Charlotte, but calls it "the Charlotte campus of U.N.C.". :rolleyes:

It does say that "U.N.C. at Charlotte has seen a 43 percent increase in freshman enrollment from the Northeast.".

I believe it. Especially from Pennsylvania, I know several from the Philadeplia region.

Edited by moonshield

UNC Charlotte Shuttle Service Open Informational Forum

Thursday, August 3, 2006 12:00 PM-2:00 PM

Cone University Center , McKnight Hall

Event Type: Forum/Speaker/Seminar/Workshop

The Parking Services Office encourages your participation in an open forum to discuss the implementation of the new UNC Charlotte Campus Shuttle Service for the upcoming Fall Semester. MEET REPRESENTATIVES FROM:

Yeah i remeber when they sent us a link to a survey about the idea of a shuttle bus service. I'm all for it :) Walking has just started to get impossible from one end of campus to another for some ppl and that's why they had to go from 10 to 15 minutes inbetween classes. As for names... hmm... how about just line A-B-C ? :/ I dunno

haha. I was confused at first, now I understand it's a joke. That's great. :)

The shuttle sounds like a great idea. I think I may make my way up there to attend, though I have no idea how a great shuttle system should work..

Several other UNC campuses have shuttles and it works fairly smoothly. With it being "free" (aside from tuition,) I don't see how anybody will be able to complain even if it is complicated.

Hopefully the shuttle will include the neighborhoods within a certain radius of the campus. The chancellor claims that UNCC has an equal percentage of students living within a mile of their campus as schools such as State and Chapel Hill, yet UNCC retains a reputation of a commuter school. I would wonder if that has to do with a higher percentage of UNCC students driving to campus, despite living nearby. A free shuttle would probably turn that around.

I would wonder if that has to do with a higher percentage of UNCC students driving to campus, despite living nearby. A free shuttle would probably turn that around.

Not to mention the shere impossibility of finding a parking space in certain areas given any weekday. :rofl:

Edited by Batou

• 2 months later...

I brought my camera on campus today to snap a few pictures:

Progress on the new parking deck:

DSC01970.jpg

The soon to be renovated sports facilities, CMC-University in the background:

DSC01971.jpg

The almost completed College of Nursing and Health Science:

DSC01972.jpg

Atkins getting a new face:

DSC01984.jpg

The Belk Tower through the award winning glass cover of Colvard:

DSC01982.jpg

The Belk Tower, the "Nub," and Kennedy:

DSC01983.jpg

New Student Union Daylight Model:

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01981.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

Maybe the lowest level of LEED certification could be achieved.

Great photos. I am glad to see construction near the SAC is wrapping up. Brings back memories for sure.

New Student Union Daylight Model:

DSC01979.jpg

Maybe the lowest level of LEED certification could be achieved.

Heh, I remember building the center rotunda part of that model last summer. From the standpoint of solar penetration, that entire building perfromed horribly when tested. Of course, given the amount of glass and 14 foot tall windows, that should be pretty obvious. As it turns out very few changes we recommended at that time recieved any consideration. The faux classical architecture and a stretched budget got in the way of fixing the design....

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/07/06568/2001/nf...e=UNV-UNCC1.htm

Although it doesn't specifically say it there, I remember UNC Charlotte's policy on LEED certification being that they would try to build to silver standards but not pay the money to get it commissioned, thereby eliminating certification.

Heh, I remember building the center rotunda part of that model last summer. From the standpoint of solar penetration, that entire building perfromed horribly when tested. Of course, given the amount of glass and 14 foot tall windows, that should be pretty obvious. As it turns out very few changes we recommended at that time recieved any consideration. The faux classical architecture and a stretched budget got in the way of fixing the design....
You gotta love it when bad classicism gets in the way of sustainable building practices. What kind of message are we sending? Better to build something that (sort of maybe) looks like it was built in the 19th Century rather than being proactive in constructing a facility that understands the ecological implications of living in the current century. Amazing. Maybe Hummer H2 parking will be available directly next to the new Student Union. Convienience is a must!

Aussie, thanks for the pics. Love the one from Colvard with the Belk Carillion throught the glass.

Edited by Miesian Corners

You gotta love it when bad classicism gets in the way of sustainable building practices. What kind of message are we sending? Better to build something that (sort of maybe) looks like it was built in the 19th Century rather than being proactive in constructing a facility that understands the ecological implications of living in the current century. Amazing. Maybe Hummer H2 parking will be available directly next to the new Student Union. Convienience is a must!

Aussie, thanks for the pics. Love the one from Colvard with the Belk Carillion throught the glass.

Thanks. I notice that view every day as Colvard is the only building my classes are in this semester. I figured I'd hike up there to snap that pic while I had my camera with me. It's especially dramatic at night, I'll try and remember to bring my camera on campus for my night class.

The style of architecture does seem a bit redundant, but I get that feeling from a lot of college campuses I go to. A lot of them are very similarly styled. I predict that Charlotte will have to become the second largest institution in the state before they begin considering branching out on the style.

I wish I had hiked down to the new Greek Village to snap a few pictures that day. I hope they aren't done with the architecture yet because I have never seen buildings so bland in my life. I drove by them today and almost had to stop the car to appreciate the blandness, and possibly insult a construction manager or two for allowing it. I'm really hoping they do something to them to give them a more-than-brick-wall appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

The new brick on the library tower is far superior to what was before. The tower will go from very ugly, to a fine looking building. Not beautiful, but not cheap looking. The raised brick between windows helps the design.

I've never seen the tower before the first recladding, but coming from the last rendition, this is much better.

The new student union looks rather formidable, I like the look of it.

Edited by moonshield

^Just too bad that it will be an energy whore. As I said earlier, when caving to classicism rather than building a structure that is sustainable, something is VERY wrong.

I have a photo of Atkins before its horrible recladding. It was vertical bands of black glass with narrow white precast concrete panels on the corners. It looked much taller than it does now.

Edited by Miesian Corners

^Just too bad that it will be an energy whore. As I said earlier, when caving to classicism rather than building a structure that is sustainable, something is VERY wrong.

I have a photo of Atkins before its horrible recladding. It was vertical bands of black glass with narrow white precast concrete panels on the corners. It looked much taller than it does now.

Here is a an old pic that shows it I found hidden in an old tour area of the admissions website If you have any others I would like to see this better too

25.jpg

Edited by Batou