UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

InitialD, I believe that is not UNC Charlotte land. If it is, it may be the new recreation fields, but I thought they were going off John Kirk Rd. Also, check out the new master-plan-in-waiting, as I call it, because it shows future plans, some of which have been known and others that are just pie-in-the-sky possibilities. I know that at some point a new building will be built in front of Union Deck, directly across from Woodward. I think it is a science building, along with the renovation of Burson.

They have been clearing timber across Mallard Creek Church near Bonnie Cone Ln, is this related to the new residential? I believe plans call for student housing in this area.
Sort of. I remember seeing the University's hopes for this area in the UNC Charlotte Master Plan thread, so I was pretty hopeful when I noticed the clearing over the past couple of weeks. However, an approved rezoning petition from last year dashed my hopes. That area is slated to become another apartment complex.

Well judging from the Masterplan presentation to the Board of Trustees, that looks to be off campus property. While I am disappointed that it is apartments, from the site plan, the location complicates things and I am somewhat relieved that it is two buildings and not more, like everywhere else. Also, just across the street is an envisioned "village" that would emulate Franklin St...or at least that is what the master-plan focused on.

Sort of. I remember seeing the University's hopes for this area in the UNC Charlotte Master Plan thread, so I was pretty hopeful when I noticed the clearing over the past couple of weeks. However, an approved rezoning petition from last year dashed my hopes. That area is slated to become another apartment complex.

I believe the university's plans for that side of Mallard Creek church will be between Bonne Cone Ln and the light rail station (which will be just before the creek)

• 2 weeks later...

While I didn't go to the opening ceremony of the student union, my roommate said they had tons of pyrotechnics and such at the ribbon-cutting. I for one am extremely impressed with the building. The interior is very welcoming (albeit incomplete,) open, and warm. The food services leave a little to be desired yes but the fact that there will be actual retail including Charlotte's second Mac store dubbed "NinerMac" next to the Union Deck walkway entrance will be a nice addition. And for those of you who aren't familiar, that walkway leads to visitor parking, so you don't have to drive down to Southpark to go to the Mac store anymore if you live in these parts.

The new bookstore is hands down better than the last, it actually looks and feels like a typical Barnes & Noble design with the addition of a sizable amount of apparel in place of where a fiction section might go. The store has plenty of DIY and educational (non-course related) books on the top floor which caught me a little off-guard as I was so used to the old bookstore in my college days.

Yeah the new bookstore is great, there actually even is more magazines, even some comic books and manga (japanese style comic books for those that don't know) in one spot. I'm not into apple products but it is impressive I agree, that we actually have an apple store. I also saw that they recently turned the old health center to a place for ROTC.

Other little news they closed off that part of the parking lot that's behind laurel hall so now all the people that parked there are crowding up a lot I would park at alot of times (lot 25). Now I'm no expert in planning stuff but wouldn't it make alot more sense if they would have built a replacement deck for said parking BEFORE destroying it so they wouldn't keep making parking worse? Just wondering.

Judy Rose and Gene Shaw released a message a few days ago about the football effort. One of the things said was that they had made significant positive progress working on capital gifts from corporations. Lowe's would be a great company to target. They recently dropped sponsorship of the speedway and could pick up naming rights at Charlotte for much less. The fact that 3 of the top 4 executives are Charlotte grads doesn't hurt either.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the uptown campus already under construction, the Student Union receiving its finishing touches, as well as the Bioinformatics Center on CRI coming to completion, I decided to dig for what/when the next campus projects would be built. I found a long list of construction time-lines for several projects slated for construction in the next year or so. I was surprised at just how many there were. Looks like there is going to be a lot of mud and construction cones on campus for at least the next couple of years.

Residence Hall Phase IX – design and complete construction of a new 600 bed residence hall comprised of 4 bedroom apartments with centrally located laundry rooms. It will be a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified building, certified by the United States Green Building Council. The facility will sit on the site of parking lot #24.

– Estimated Construction Cost – $39.1M

Construction to begin late September/early October 2009 timeframe (hadn't noticed)

Energy Production Infrastructure Center (EPIC) – design and build a 200,000sf building that will provide classroom and state of the art laboratory space to accommodate growth in energy infrastructure research and collaboration with industry partners. The project includes expansion of a regional utility plant and the extension of an existing road to a signalized intersection

– Estimated Construction Cost – $76.2M

Construction to begin December 2009

New Outdoor Student Recreational Facility – located at the southeast intersection of John Kirk Dr & Mallard Creek Church Rd (24 acre site) the project would construct a multi-field, multi-use facility that will include field lighting, a 1,600sf restroom/storage building, a 215 space parking area serving the fields, central campus and a shuttle stop.

– Estimated Construction Cost – $3-$3.5M

Construction to begin December 2009 timeframe

Prospector Renovation Phase II – renovate the interior and exterior areas of the Prospector Dining/Bookstore to support the future expansion of the postal facility, install a new copy center and two (2) new food service vendors in the building

– Estimated Construction Cost – $4-$4.5M

Construction to begin December 2009

Parking Facilities Expansion (Deck H) – design and build a new parking deck on the back of existing Lot 26 that will accommodate 1000 with expansion capabilities to 1600 cars without impacting the future light rail line

– Estimated Construction Cost – $16-$17M

Construction to begin Early 2010

Partnership, Outreach and Research for Accelerated Learning (PORTAL) – design and build a facility that will offer opportunities for research, business development, and entrepreneurial activity and university partnerships. Current plan is for 90,000sf with up to two (2) floors white boxed for future tenant upfits

– Estimated Construction Cost – $27-$30M

Construction to begin August 2010

MotorSports Building Phase II – design and build a Motorsports building, approximately 13,500 GSF (building will be partially finished) including new lab spaces, faculty and staff offices for new hires and support services. Proposed building will be sited within walking distance of the existing Motorsports building and Duke Centennial Hall on the Charlotte Research Institute Campus

– Estimated Construction Cost – TBD

Construction to begin October 2010

Parking Deck I – design and build a new parking deck on the Charlotte Research Institute that will accommodate 1100 spaces

– Estimated Construction Cost – TBD

Construction to begin late 2010

I didn't realize that EPIC is starting so soon.....by far the project most likely to gain national recognition for UNCC. PORTAL sounds interesting too, and one I hadn't heard of.

CPCC is also moving forward with several buildings as well in Midtown. Many of those projects will be demoing exising 1950'-1960's era buildings and replacing them with larger buildings in the current design scheme. Their new culinary school building looks essentially complete.

Also relevant is the construction of the Toby Creek greenway across campus. It is receiving stimulus funds as it is "shovel ready" but I'm not sure of a construction timeline. This could also be relevant to recent discussion on the board about walking to the light rail station on campus and the stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

Where the old walking track was between the union deck and woodward, that they used to house construction trailers when they were building the union deck, they seem to be making what looks like another surface parking lot to try to relieve some of the parking issues.

Where the old walking track was between the union deck and woodward, that they used to house construction trailers when they were building the union deck, they seem to be making what looks like another surface parking lot to try to relieve some of the parking issues.

hmm what a waste of money since they are about to build a science building there in the next couple of years. I guess it's better getting some use than none in the meantime. That lot will make my roommate happy at least.

hmm what a waste of money since they are about to build a science building there in the next couple of years. I guess it's better getting some use than none in the meantime. That lot will make my roommate happy at least.

Yeah they put the news on the new blog for auxiliary services http://aux.uncc.edu/news/

Two New Parking Lots ASAP, More to Come

Lot 19, at the corner of Cameron and Craver Roads, is under a first phase of construction to serve the Union/COE/CHHS area. Grading to prepare for a temporary gravel lot is going on now, so weather permitting, expect about 100 new spaces to be available to commuters, faculty and staff in just a couple weeks.

Lot 18, between Union Deck and Cameron Blvd., will also provide 100 spaces. Lot 18 will be an asphalt surface lot and should be ready around mid-way through next semester.

After Lot 18 is complete, the spaces in Lot 19 will close down temporarily and change from a 100-space gravel lot to an approximately 250-space asphalt surface parking area. What that means to you is this: 100 new spaces will be provided near the Union within the next few weeks and as soon as construction reality will allow, that number will expand to 350 spaces.

It does seem like kind of a waste of money, but I think by the time they start construction of what will go there won't they have new parking decks ready ? Oh well at least they are trying heh, they've been doing some other little things to try to fix the problem.

Edited by Batou