UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

I'm glad I graduated when I did. I never had issues on campus with parking unless I scheduled my first classes during peak times. And that was before Union Deck even existed. Actually, I take that back, when there was ice on the parking decks top levels parking was bad. I personally can't wait to see what happens this semester on campus after the first winter storm arrives.

In all honesty, I think the real solution to the problem is the same solution that most other large colleges in NC are experiencing. Don't allow freshmen to park on campus. That solves two issues at the same time. You get extra heads on campus at all times which takes away from the commuter image and you dramatically fix the parking problem. I guess they don't have the beds yet to support this solution though.

On a side note: Charlotte plays Duke tonight in Durham in the second round of the NIT Season Tip-off... here's dreaming

On a side note: Charlotte plays Duke tonight in Durham in the second round of the NIT Season Tip-off... here's dreaming

That was more like a nightmare. I didn't expect to win, but I wasn't expecting a humiliating crushing defeat either. I figured it'd be something in the neighborhood of a 15-20 point loss.

That was more like a nightmare. I didn't expect to win, but I wasn't expecting a humiliating crushing defeat either. I figured it'd be something in the neighborhood of a 15-20 point loss.

Goes to show you the stark differences between the ACC and A10. That said, Charlotte will be lucky to make the NCAA tournament come year's end unless something changes on that front.

Goes to show you the stark differences between the ACC and A10. That said, Charlotte will be lucky to make the NCAA tournament come year's end unless something changes on that front.

Not really. The top of the A10 could play with anyone in the country. Duke smacked Xavier around last season, but Duke made an early exit from the tournament while Xavier made it to the Sweet 16 and the Elite 8 the year before that.

Can't really take a top ACC school (Duke) and school that will be middle of the pack in the A10 this season and say they represent the stark difference between the two conferences. Is the ACC better? Hell yes, but the A-10 has had plenty of very good programs in its history as well.

This is getting off topic though, so I'll just leave it there.

• 1 month later...

^Nice pics CLTNative... I actually didn't know they were constructing this building with steel. I guess given the design, it makes sense. It should shoot up height wise pretty quickly then. Also look forward to those parking lots disappearing in favor of the park and I'm assuming some of Levine's developments.

Land has also been cleared on the main campus for the EPIC building.

You beat me to it! They are also clearing land to make the entrance to the Charlotte Research Institute that lines up with JW Clay at Tryon which could/should serve as the main entry way to that portion of campus.

This is an excerpt from a recent posting on the Observer of Jim Utter's interview with Chancellor Philip Dubois concerning the football facilities:

What would be the first order of football business if the plan is approved at the next meeting?

Dubois: We have to get the capital project through the legislature and that would take place in the session late in the spring. Usually those things are not particularly controversial if you have a revenue source (covered in a previous question.) We still have to keep moving forward on the design of our facilities. We are under a very tight timeframe to get all of the facilities built in time for 2012, which is when the coaches and the first group of redshirts would arrive. We’ll spend some time between now and their session making sure legislators are informed of what is being proposed.

• 3 weeks later...

Land has also been cleared on the main campus for the EPIC building.

Apparently there was a start of construction ceremony last night!

Lighting ceremony marks start of EPIC construction

CHARLOTTE -- Jan. 27, 2010 -- Last night, UNC Charlotte officials and leaders from business and the power industry celebrated the beginning of construction on the University’s Energy Production and Infrastructure Center (EPIC). The special lighting ceremony provided a tangible example of UNC Charlotte’s ongoing efforts to stake its claim as a leader in energy education and research.

Through EPIC, North Carolina’s only urban research university will be in a position to answer the call for energy engineering talent and research, noted UNC Charlotte Chancellor Philip L. Dubois.

Four large towers of light were activated to outlinethe the perimeter of the building and a weather balloon was launched and moored 100 feet above the site.

http://www.publicrel...id=15&objId=625

Edited by Urbanity

• 2 weeks later...

More mediocrity on the UNCC campus. An amusing side note, the architectural firm that designed this lovely pile of bricks, has on its website that the building is located in Kannapolis, NC. http://www.creech-design.com/researchanddevelopment5.html

A couple renderings:

2wcnxnq.jpg

2hxwx9y.jpg

For a scale perspective, it's more than twice as big as the Bioinformatics Center that just finished construction on N. Tryon.

For a school with an architecture dept, it is getting pathetic how bland and boring the new buildings look. You would think the school would use such a valuable asset to help determine designs for the new buildings.

Footnote, I am a UNCC alum!

Let's hope they build more buildings uptown, where they feel they have license to escape the everything-looks-the-same mold.

I am someone who generally thinks there are some benefits to going with traditionally designed buildings because once they look old, they add some level of gravitas to places. But it is getting ridiculous at this point. Why can't there be a happy middle ground, or even that they let loose for departments like "Energy Production Infrastructure Center" or whatever.

I guess it will take a generation to purge the design sins of the 60s and 70s. Hopefully what comes along next will be more interesting. Neo-baroque might be fun.

For a school with an architecture dept, it is getting pathetic how bland and boring the new buildings look. You would think the school would use such a valuable asset to help determine designs for the new buildings.

Footnote, I am a UNCC alum!

From my experience as a student, the university's more recent administration seemed to hold resentment towards the architecture school and it collection of assets. Any time we would reach out and try to influence growth, it was met with much resistance. They were far more interested in creating a campus full of a buildings designed in an almost cartoonish classical style. I could go on and on.

Too concerned with image and keeping the good 'ol boys happy... (from my point of view)

Having gone to NCSU which also has an architecture school, I can tell you that more times than not it is preferable to have a more conservative conforming building design than something off the wall that the architecture department designed. There are some buildings at NCSU that were built in the 50's that were built in the cutting edge architecture mindset of the time and they have not held up to the test of time and are quite an eyesore.

If the campus were to put any cutting edge design into new development, I would much prefer that they invest time and money into the sustainability of the building than some unique looking architecture.

I heard an interview with previous Chancellor Jim Woodard stating how it was his objective to maintain a classical academic architecture through the development and expansion of the UNCC campus.

I think you could say the same thing about some of the original 1960s Odell stuff on Charlotte's Campus. It looks obsolete these days.

I don't mean to insinuate that we were advocating cutting edge architecture, because we weren't at all. In fact, we were pushing for more sustainable buildings and a concern for scale and connectivity around campus. I don't have any problems with classical architecture when it's done correctly. I think one would have a hard time finding many places more "collegiate" than some of the schools Woodward was emulating - Columbia in NYC comes to mind among others. The difference there though, is they didn't just plop poorly-scaled buildings in a grassy field and run 8' wide sidewalks to the doors with almost no concern for any exterior space.

Edited by Mugen682

I think one would have a hard time finding many places more "collegiate" than some of the schools Woodward was emulating - Columbia in NYC comes to mind among others. The difference there though, is they didn't just plop poorly-scaled buildings in a grassy field and run 8' wide sidewalks to the doors with almost no concern for any exterior space.

I agree 100%. I have no issue with classical design IF it's done correctly. Scale and proportion are hallmarks of classicism, which is exactly why some of the buildings on the UNCC campus look so ridiculous. And beyond that, they are in a strange way, rather harsh and brutal. One of the things I appreciate about other campuses that have faced this same issue is their use of plants. There are several new buildings at the U of Ottawa and U of Oregon that give the "old collegiate feel" simply through the use of climbing plants such as Virginia Creeper, sumac, and different varieties of ivy that soften new brick and concrete facades. Easy to do, and quite often, very attractive. Edited by Miesian Corners

Correct me if I am wrong, but most of the arguments seem to be about the buildings on or near the CRI side of campus. If so, I would hope that all keep in mind the context of the master Plan. Those massive buildings that appear to be sitting there out of context will eventually be part of a larger cluster that I believe will make sense.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing something a little more modern, but considering the direction already began in that section of the campus, I think it would make a mistake to not continue it design-wise.

Edited by Urbanity

I can agree with the harsh and brutal aspect of those new buildings. Again, an issue of scale - large sections of precast concrete facades and simple commercial windows. Careful landscaping and vegetation could go and long way in helping mask and or compensate for this.

The buildings at the CRI are the worst offenders, however, the bad classical design tag can be applied all over campus. The filling in of additional buildings and/or a football stadium really aren't going to fix the problems rooted in bad architecture. Even when it is fully built out, Toby Creek will prevent it from being truly connected to the main campus. It's too bad because it really could have been a special place along the future light rail line.

• 1 month later...

The EPIC building is going up rather quick. At least 3 floors (iron frame) are done in the one section which shocks me as to the speed from groundbreaking. The new residence hall is moving along at a quick quip as well.

FInally - while not construction per se, many may not be aware that UNC Charlotte has expanded their footprint in the University Area. They bought a 3 story building across the street from the campus (across 49) it sits on the hill overlooking the Harris Teeter shopping plaza. Very close in brickwork to the campus buildings.

The EPIC building is going up rather quick. At least 3 floors (iron frame) are done in the one section which shocks me as to the speed from groundbreaking. The new residence hall is moving along at a quick quip as well.

FInally - while not construction per se, many may not be aware that UNC Charlotte has expanded their footprint in the University Area. They bought a 3 story building across the street from the campus (across 49) it sits on the hill overlooking the Harris Teeter shopping plaza. Very close in brickwork to the campus buildings.

Will they be slapping some columns and a portico on it so it matches?

• 3 months later...

A couple of updates from campus:

-- EPIC is topped out. The building is huge, and looms over Phillips Rd and the soon to be location of the new football stadium.

-- Speaking of Phillips Rd., stoplights have been added at that dreadful hill at Cameron Blvd.

-- And speaking of football, according to facilities management, requests have been sent out for construction, but nothing can really happen until the state approves the program.

-- The CRI is seeing a huge amount of construction. A new parking deck is being built near Hwy 29, close to the JW Clay stoplight.

-- PORTAL seems to be starting construction, but I have no idea where it is. The building will house the Ben Craig Center, which will relocate from Mallard Creek Rd.

-- The new dorm is much like EPIC, huge. It's construction, again with EPIC, has been quick in order to accommodate the growing population.

-- Another deck is being planned next to the lot across from Laurel, where the proposed LYNX station could go.

-- New tennis courts are being planned for the campus, but as with PORTAL, I really don't know where.

-- The new rec fields are being constructed off of John Kirk Rd. It's construction is hard to miss. Also along John Kirk is the placement of sidewalks and some curb and gutter.

-- A new parking lot is going along Toby Creek Rd. behind the Alumni Center. I am quite upset about this because the section of campus was a great collection of woods, and now it just seems to be waiting for horrible parking lots.

-- Prospector should be getting its renovation under way. An expanded Chick-fil-A and post office are going in the building, which of course will be reclad with brick, better than the concrete exterior.

-- A new video board has been set up along the main entrance, towards the lake, which is still drained. Even though I think video boards are tacky, this kind of fits, so I am not upset.

That seems to be all for now. If I have missed anything or gotten anything wrong, by all means, correct me.

-- The CRI is seeing a huge amount of construction. A new parking deck is being built near Hwy 29, close to the JW Clay stoplight.

So that's what the gigantic mound of dirt across from the JW Clay/Tryon intersection is all about. I figured they were working on the "grand" CRI entrance that is part of the master plan. It appears as though they have leveled out a great deal of the land right there to the road, but maybe that's just for construction traffic.

-- A new video board has been set up along the main entrance, towards the lake, which is still drained. Even though I think video boards are tacky, this kind of fits, so I am not upset.

That seems to be all for now. If I have missed anything or gotten anything wrong, by all means, correct me.

I don't really get the video board myself, at least in the location it is in. If they had it closer to University City Boulevard it would make more sense to me. I