UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

-- The new rec fields are being constructed off of John Kirk Rd. It's construction is hard to miss. Also along John Kirk is the placement of sidewalks and some curb and gutter.

So that's what that giant cleared area next to UT North is for. Was wondering if that was just going to be another dumb apartment complex glad it isn't. Nice to see them finally adding the sidewalks around here too.

Edited by Batou

Went on campus a couple days ago to check out Bella, the rare "corpse flower" that's blooming on campus til Saturday. I have to say that EPIC is, for lack of a better word, epic. It is much longer and deeper in person and has a huge presence along Phillips Rd. It may fade into the mix once the stadium is finished, but in the meantime, it is very impressive in person.

I am disappointed in the location of the new rec fields. I still feel that this was the best location for some roadside shops to create the college-town environment near campus. N Tryon hopeful redevelopment is the area's last hope now.

My personal opinion is to restrict parking permits to freshmen, therefore eliminating the parking lots on the other side of the gardens, making that a perfect location for the new rec fields. The masterplan does have that area as a rec and wellness center...at least I think that is what it shows.

You are right, for a university that struggles keeping students in an atmosphere that benefits them, i.e. Franklin St. in Chapel Hill, a football team doesn't get the job done entirely. While it does help there needs to be more and with the elimination of that plot of land, that hurts the cause even more. However, the masterplan includes an area near Mallard Creek Rd., near the quarry that could include a light rail stop, shops, and residences. So I think there is some hope.

Did you mean to restrict parking from freshmen? IE, freshmen have to live on campus? That's not too uncommon, though I would expect would meet a lot of resistance given the livability limitations of the campus right now.

My personal opinion is to restrict parking permits to freshmen, therefore eliminating the parking lots on the other side of the gardens, making that a perfect location for the new rec fields. The masterplan does have that area as a rec and wellness center...at least I think that is what it shows.

You are right, for a university that struggles keeping students in an atmosphere that benefits them, i.e. Franklin St. in Chapel Hill, a football team doesn't get the job done entirely. While it does help there needs to be more and with the elimination of that plot of land, that hurts the cause even more. However, the masterplan includes an area near Mallard Creek Rd., near the quarry that could include a light rail stop, shops, and residences. So I think there is some hope.

Yeah not letting freshmen park is for the most part impossible considering all the roads surrounding campus and all the areas that still don't have sidewalks. Wouldn't be fair to force them to just get food and other stuff oncampus (which is price jacked)

UNC Chapel Hill and NC State have measures that restrict freshmen from having cars on campus. App St. has a program in place where priority for parking spaces are given to upperclassmen, thus hindering the chances of a freshman from getting a decent parking pass. While both instances are quite radical, they of course would help keep people on campus. Understandably so, our campus is an island surrounded by highways which doesn't help the cause. Which is why John Kirk Rd. was such a missed opportunity to create a university town center. Instead, focus is being paid to Mallard Creek Church Rd., a decent alternative, but still busier than most state highways. While it seems impossible to create such an atmosphere, I believe it can happen with the help of a little creative design and sensible planning.

The idea of limiting freshmen parking is not new to UNCC. When I graduated two years, it had been up for debate for quite some time on campus. Unfortunately, I have not read or heard anything about the cause since. All my friends that were in SGA have moved on so I don't know if the student body is still attempting to get this taken care of.

However, the rush to build new housing all around campus as part of the master plan is to create the facilities necessary to allow for this change. So hopefully the school will continue building housing and related student living facilities. The student union was a step in the right direction, but a lot more must be done for campus living to be sustainable to more than half the student body. Light rail will also help greatly.

Before restricting freshman parking can be implemented, they need to put in a transit system that supports students and the surrounding area. It really wouldn't be terribly difficult to set up since the university is basically an island in between 4 major roads. There could be a line that runs the E. Mallard Creek Church/49/WT Harris/Tryon loop. Another that runs John Kirk/49/through the shopping center with Home Depot/Tryon and one that runs John Kirk/E Mallard Creek Church/Tryon/Amphitheater/49. This would cover most of the university area

Edited by rworkman09

Before restricting freshman parking can be implemented, they need to put in a transit system that supports students and the surrounding area. It really wouldn't be terribly difficult to set up since the university is basically an island in between 4 major roads. There could be a line that runs the E. Mallard Creek Church/49/WT Harris/Tryon loop. Another that runs John Kirk/49/through the shopping center with Home Depot/Tryon and one that runs John Kirk/E Mallard Creek Church/Tryon/Amphitheater/49. This would cover most of the university area

The transit system is already in place. They have been using the "trolley" CATS buses for a few years now free to students. There has been a push to move the transit line to neighboring retail and apartment complexes. Not sure when/if this will be implemented, but I do remember reading that it was a possibility in one of the BoT presentations awhile back.

The transit system is already in place. They have been using the "trolley" CATS buses for a few years now free to students. There has been a push to move the transit line to neighboring retail and apartment complexes. Not sure when/if this will be implemented, but I do remember reading that it was a possibility in one of the BoT presentations awhile back.

I know of the campus transit (I graduated in 09), but it does nothing for moving people without cars off campus. It's pretty much useless actually. It's great for fat and/or lazy people though.

I agree that if the on-campus trolley system was incorporated into the stops outside the campus it would dramatically increase the livability for students on campus.

I would also love to see (until the BLE is built) an express bus run from Uptown to the campus. I certainly think the university could help fund it as I believe Wachovia/Wells Fargo does with their CIC express bus (at least that is my understanding about the CIC funding - please correct me if I am wrong)

Edited by Urbanity

I know of the campus transit (I graduated in 09), but it does nothing for moving people without cars off campus. It's pretty much useless actually. It's great for fat and/or lazy people though.

I completely agree, although it is a much more effective way for students in the highrises to get over to the new dorms and vice-versa. Turns a thirty minute walk in the rain into a five minute ride. For their sakes I won't bash the line although I do see your point.

But if they do expand the line off-campus, that's a whole other story. I wonder if local businesses have been approached to help support the line. Seems like it would really benefit many restaurants in the area (making access more convenient than getting groceries for a week would encourage sales.)

I think step one of this process really should be increasing the price of parking permits; using part of that money to help establish an off-campus line and maybe help (in part) to fund some more housing on campus. This would encourage more students to live on or right next to --walking distance-- campus and help/encourage local business growth.

:offtopic: in a little off-campus news, Ishi's closed. I thought the university area was growing and this establishment was really held together by students. I'm sad to see it go.

Ishi actually moved into the Taiyo spot next to McDonalds...much larger building. I lmost cried when I didnt see it because I thought it had closed!

YES! Taiyo was kind of a waste of space anyway. They were owned by the same family so that makes sense. I wish something would fill the old RJ Gators spot.

• 6 months later...

This is sort of construction related, but honestly goes well beyond that.

Duke and Siemens have pledged close to 9 million to EPIC which will help with the building and the programs not to mention attracting even more energy related research and (hopefully) companies to the region.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/21/1998094/duke-siemens-give-88m-to-uncc.html

• 10 months later...

Not so much part of the campus but directly across from the Main entrance. Looks like Crescent wants to build Circle at UNCC. Much more urban in scale with street facing building, parking garage enveloped by apartments and "urban open space"

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2012/006-012/2012-010%20site%20plan.pdf

The most exciting thing to me about the PORTAL building is it will house the only sensitive-compartmented information facility (SCIF) in the UNC system. The SCIF allows it to work with federal agencies such as the U.S. Department of Defense.

When you add that with the EPIC building (which is right next door) which is focused on Energy (and Westinghouse's gift just gave UNC Charlotte a huge boost for being a national center for training nuclear engineers) and you have some great opportunity for significant new grant funding at the campus.

• 2 months later...

The football stadium is coming along nicely:

http://oxblue.com/open/rodgersbuilders/charlotte49ers

Concrete for the seating is being poured, the field house is completely framed up and starting to be closed in, the press boxes, concessions, and restroom areas are starting to rise as well.

Hard to believe the stadium will be finished this fall.

• 4 weeks later...

The progress at UNCC is astounding. I keep thinking that campus is out of room (or money) but they just continue to add building after building (plus the stadium). I'll be excited to see what campus life at UNCC is like after the light rail stop is in place as well.

Side note: I'm not a UNCC grad.

• 1 month later...

Not construction, but Areva pledges an additional $2 million to the EPIC building.

It's great to see all the scholarships additions that have occurred in the last two years.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/04/20/3186520/unc-charlotte-to-announce-epic.html

Also, construction on the football field has progressed significantly. The front of the field house is nearly half-bricked at this point and the concrete poured for 3/4+ of the bowl.

http://oxblue.com/open/rodgersbuilders/charlotte49ers

• 9 months later...

Walking home on campus and came across the just mounted (today) new sculpture outside the football stadium.  The Podium it stands on is about 9-10 feet tall and the statute is at least that tall as well.  

I took some quick camera phone shots and it was turning dusk so I don't think my pictures give it full justice.  The 49ers Logo is on the side of the helmet.  It looks awesome in real life.  BTW They erected teh three flag poles today as well so I can't wait to see this statue with the flags behind it!

post-24262-0-02032700-1358896534_thumb.j

post-24262-0-70598700-1358896502_thumb.j

post-24262-0-83863300-1358896239_thumb.j

post-24262-0-31273800-1358896228_thumb.j

Edited by Urbanity