UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

On 2/27/2018 at 5:02 PM, End_The_Sprawl said:

To add on to the previous post, here are other webcams on UNC Charlotte's campus: 

-The new PATS building

-The Belk Plaza redesign (and the Denny-Macy-Barnard-Garinger-Winningham quad)

-Another angle for the Recreation Center

These aren't mouth watering projects, but they are important for the future development of the campus.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:14 PM, NCMike1990 said:

UNC Charlotte Recreation Center

https://app.oxblue.com/open/Edifice/UNCCHAWCBldg

You can see the skyline if you zoom in.

Here are webcams for construction on campus.

• 4 weeks later...

I have some news about Atkins library, they are in the planning stages of changing the entire structure. The plan calls for the removal of 75% of the books and to put them offsite. Other changes are to make the library more like a socialization area. I could probably get the PowerPoint about it, but no guarantee.

24 minutes ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

I have some news about Atkins library, they are in the planning stages of changing the entire structure. The plan calls for the removal of 75% of the books and to put them offsite. Other changes are to make the library more like a socialization area. I could probably get the PowerPoint about it, but no guarantee.

Don't they already have a student union? Don't books belong in a library?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Don't they already have a student union? Don't books belong in a library?

In my opinion, this is a move to accommodate the ever-increasing student body which is now over 30k.

In regard to the tower portion of Atkins library, the upper floors contain the special collections and university archives.  So basically, there are multiple floors being rarely used.  When End The Sprawl stated "socialization area" I'm guessing that includes more study rooms and collaboration areas which are desperately needed with Charlotte just now peaking over the 30k student mark.  Many of the special collection series (books) can be accessed digitally too if need be.  The library at times was packed over a decade ago, so I think this is a smart move to utilize the space more effectively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As one of the handful of Americans who checks out books from the library, I am disappointed. I adore Atkins, it has a relatively good selection of titles (unlike the Char-Meck system) . That said, study rooms *are* hard to come by... I just wish the books didn't have to be displaced to fix that--maybe they'll come back in vogue one day? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

In my opinion, this is a move to accommodate the ever-increasing student body which is now over 30k.

In regard to the tower portion of Atkins library, the upper floors contain the special collections and university archives.  So basically, there are multiple floors being rarely used.  When End The Sprawl stated "socialization area" I'm guessing that includes more study rooms and collaboration areas which are desperately needed with Charlotte just now peaking over the 30k student mark.  Many of the special collection series (books) can be accessed digitally too if need be.  The library at times was packed over a decade ago, so I think this is a smart move to utilize the space more effectively.

Special collections are being moved to the first and second floors, mostly where the career center and first floor checkout desk is at the moment. A lot of the changes are adding in seating in the tower, adding study rooms on the second and third floors, and putting a large conference area/ lounge on the tenth floor.

I do agree that there needs to be more space, however, I think if anything should be moved it should be the career center. This is all a plan that hasn’t been approved yet, but given to the administration for consideration. 

Edited by End_The_Sprawl

7 hours ago, nakers2 said:

This makes me sad, I lived in Moore Hall my freshman year (2013) and South Village has changed so much since then, Hunt Hall was the only new dorm open at the time and SOVI was still under construction (the exposed metal on the roof reflected into my room, making it quite nice and warm in the winter, not so enjoyable come spring) RDH was still open serving food on their multicolored plates, Levine Hall was a parking lot, Laurel was not even on anyone's mind and the renovations of Holshouser and Scott had yet to begin. Just a sign of the rapid change at UNCC in just a few short years.

My family is not poor by any means, but my parents insisted I gain some real "college experience" and living in Moore was the absolute bare bones of college dorm life. Two students to a room, and a communal bathroom shared by 12 students on one hallway, four hallways per floor, laundry in the basement. To me this was a taste of how good I had it with my parents, but to some students this cheap housing option was essential to their success and ability to afford living on/near campus. The next year my family could afford to put me up with something nicer across campus, but to some students, these high rises symbolized opportunity to partake in academic success. Between Moore and Sanford are the absolute cheapest housing options, and when they're gone I find it hard to believe they'll be replaced with anything as affordable, hmm, sounds like a theme here in Charlotte. 

This makes me very sad, too.  In fact, it's something I have to keep putting out of my mind.  I'm a UNCC grad.  I was a double major and was there for five years.  Almost the entire time I was at UNCC I lived in Moore Hall.  Moore and Sanford, I believe, were the first dormitories built on campus, around 1968.  So for UNCC they are historic.   UNCC seems to be taking a page from the City of Charlotte: forget about history, just tear it down.  Most of my college memories are in those two buildings (I had a lot of friends in Sanford), and in the cafeteria beside them.  Once they are gone, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to step foot on that campus again.  They are taking away a piece of my heart.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, nakers2 said:

This makes me sad, I lived in Moore Hall my freshman year (2013) and South Village has changed so much since then, Hunt Hall was the only new dorm open at the time and SOVI was still under construction (the exposed metal on the roof reflected into my room, making it quite nice and warm in the winter, not so enjoyable come spring) RDH was still open serving food on their multicolored plates, Levine Hall was a parking lot, Laurel was not even on anyone's mind and the renovations of Holshouser and Scott had yet to begin. Just a sign of the rapid change at UNCC in just a few short years.

My family is not poor by any means, but my parents insisted I gain some real "college experience" and living in Moore was the absolute bare bones of college dorm life. Two students to a room, and a communal bathroom shared by 12 students on one hallway, four hallways per floor, laundry in the basement. To me this was a taste of how good I had it with my parents, but to some students this cheap housing option was essential to their success and ability to afford living on/near campus. The next year my family could afford to put me up with something nicer across campus, but to some students, these high rises symbolized opportunity to partake in academic success. Between Moore and Sanford are the absolute cheapest housing options, and when they're gone I find it hard to believe they'll be replaced with anything as affordable, hmm, sounds like a theme here in Charlotte. 

Shoot, what floor were you on? I lived in Moore that year as well facing the metal rattle trap that is now SOVI. People used to throw oranges from RDH onto the metalwork to make a crazy sounding banging noise. Crazy that two different dorms I lived in are both being demolished right after I finished my college career! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2018 at 9:33 PM, DavieNative said:

Shoot, what floor were you on? I lived in Moore that year as well facing the metal rattle trap that is now SOVI. People used to throw oranges from RDH onto the metalwork to make a crazy sounding banging noise. Crazy that two different dorms I lived in are both being demolished right after I finished my college career! 

Third floor, room 309. Pretty much eye level with the roof of SOVI. I honestly didn't hang around the dorm too much, but it was home nonetheless. Had good memories, like the friends I'd play cards with in the common area, to the sad, like when one of my upstairs neighbors fell to his death, apparently not the first time that has happened. It was this dorm I lived in when I lugged my suitcase out to the bus stop to try and get home to Boone before a snowstorm (didn't have my car on campus yet) and ended up stranded in Winston Salem when my transfer bus got cancelled. I remember lugging all of my stuff upstairs on the first day, and lugging it back down on the last. I remember getting into a fight in the laundry room when someone took my stuff out of the dryer too soon, and when I was reprimanded because I thought for sure I could get my Snapple bottle in the dumpster from my window (I couldn't, #kobe) Lots of memories made in these dorms for sure over 40 years, they will be missed despite being the brutalist monstrosities that they were. I do wonder though, why did the University see these as being too costly to rennovate when Holshouser and Scott are practically, if not exactly the same? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Third floor, room 309. Pretty much eye level with the roof of SOVI. I honestly didn't hang around the dorm too much, but it was home nonetheless. Had good memories, like the friends I'd play cards with in the common area, to the sad, like when one of my upstairs neighbors fell to his death, apparently not the first time that has happened. It was this dorm I lived in when I lugged my suitcase out to the bus stop to try and get home to Boone before a snowstorm (didn't have my car on campus yet) and ended up stranded in Winston Salem when my transfer bus got cancelled. I remember lugging all of my stuff upstairs on the first day, and lugging it back down on the last. I remember getting into a fight in the laundry room when someone took my stuff out of the dryer too soon, and when I was reprimanded because I thought for sure I could get my Snapple bottle in the dumpster from my window (I couldn't, #kobe) Lots of memories made in these dorms for sure over 40 years, they will be missed despite being the brutalist monstrosities that they were. I do wonder though, why did the University see these as being too costly to rennovate when Holshouser and Scott are practically, if not exactly the same? 

It was the lessons learned about the costs of renovating Holshouser and Scott and what the ultimate return is that has led to the decision to demo these and start fresh.  For practically the same amount of money the campus gets a new building that works best for today's (and future) students as it would for 2 high rise towers with tight double rooms and small bathrooms...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, allthingsplanes said:

It was the lessons learned about the costs of renovating Holshouser and Scott and what the ultimate return is that has led to the decision to demo these and start fresh.  For practically the same amount of money the campus gets a new building that works best for today's (and future) students as it would for 2 high rise towers with tight double rooms and small bathrooms...

I'm gonna sound like an old man here, even though I just graduated last year, but college students are spoiled these days, if my kid was a little brat I would relish the opportunity to put them in Moore for a year. Hell, why not just slap some brick veneer on there and keep the inside the same? If they have an honors dorm, they ought to have a dishonors dorm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I'm gonna sound like an old man here, even though I just graduated last year, but college students are spoiled these days, if my kid was a little brat I would relish the opportunity to put them in Moore for a year. Hell, why not just slap some brick veneer on there and keep the inside the same? If they have an honors dorm, they ought to have a dishonors dorm.

I know you're post was mostly a joke but I wonder how much the 'taj ma-dorms' out there and the luxury apartments being built are changing the basis of reality in which someone just starting out considers as 'affordable housing' for millennials.  20+ years ago my dorms were a small box with bunk beds and I swear the common space furniture was purchased used from an insane asylum.   This was for a somewhat expensive private school in the northeast.   I had access to the athletic gym but the I have seen better gyms at a holiday inn compared to what 2,500 students had to share.  Not a single hot tub or juice bar in sight.   My first apartment in Charlotte was a 3 bedroom with 5 guys and 2 rooms had bunk beds.  It was not in the best neighborhood either...Echo Hills.   It was a dump but all we wanted to do was work, drink and save money.  

This is very much a 'get off my lawn' comment but it's getting harder and harder to feel sorry for the amount of debt when they are using the luxury amenities built in the arms race on college campuses as a major decision factor.  

I remember about 8 years ago listening to an interview with someone from Purdue, could have been NPR or a podcast, who talked about how they were not going to say no to the arms race.  Always respected that.  Just searched and it looked like they have recently dropped that policy and are building luxury dorms now....  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2018 at 6:33 PM, DavieNative said:

Third floor, room 309. 

Whoa!  Room 309??????  I haven't been inside that Moore Hall in decades.  My freshman and sophomore years ('81-'83), I lived on the 3rd floor, back side, third room from the left when entering the back hallway from the elevators.  That was room 309, wasn't it?

7 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

This is very much a 'get off my lawn' comment but it's getting harder and harder to feel sorry for the amount of debt when they are using the luxury amenities built in the arms race on college campuses as a major decision factor.  

I agree, UNCC should have some very basic living spaces that can hold a lot of students. The main reason I go to UNCC is how close my family is to campus,  a 20 minute commute. This was WAY cheaper  (like $3,000 per semester) than trying to afford dorms like Belk or Miltmore. I would have lived on campus and gotten the "college experience" if this were the case. We need something like Sullivan Hall at NC State. Alas, most of my memories are trying not to get run over in Lot 6...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Whoa!  Room 309??????  I haven't been inside that Moore Hall in decades.  My freshman and sophomore years ('81-'83), I lived on the 3rd floor, back side, third room from the left when entering the back hallway from the elevators.  That was room 309, wasn't it?

I want to say yes, I don't have a photographic memory, but it was definitely that side of the building for sure. And it was to the left of the elevator door.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I want to say yes, I don't have a photographic memory, but it was definitely that side of the building for sure. And it was to the left of the elevator door.

Man, what a trip that would be if it turns out we lived in the same room!  What are the odds?

• Like 3

On 4/4/2018 at 3:35 AM, nakers2 said:

Some of the best memories and best communities I was a part of in college were in the high rises. I hate to see them go but I know the university and CHP don't understand the importance of the classic dorm.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 8:11 AM, allthingsplanes said:

What do you mean?  Can you expand on that?

Classic style dorms, such as Moore and Sanford have small rooms for two people, shared bathrooms and community areas. They force college kids out of their rooms and generally lead to good community and close friendships. Whoever has been building dorms at UNCC for the past 20 years hasn't had a grasp on this concept that is common on most college campuses. I think these fancy suites and apartments at UNCC have actually lead to less community and less school involvement even though more kids are on campus at UNCC than at other big state schools such as Appalachian State that have thriving, healthy, and involved student bodies.