UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

• 3 weeks later...

Actually ECU is on track to becoming the largest school in NC (currently 2nd). It's got almost 30,000 students (undergrad and grad), and one of their primary goals is to be the largest school in the state. UNCC's new building really do wonders to the views of campus. Glad that people do realize that all of those 60's/70's buildings were pretty unsightly.

According to Wikipedia online encyclopedia, as of March 1st, these are the current enrollment rates at all 16 of the UNC system schools

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina

Name...........................City...............Undergrad....Graduate

Appalachian State U.......Boone..............13,146.......1,507

East Carolina U.............Greenville..........17,510........5,257

Elizabeth City State U....Elizabeth City.....2,437............33

Fayetteville State U........Fayetteville........4,410........1,031

NC A&T State U.............Greensboro........9,121.........1,262

NC Central U.................Durham..............6,028.........1,699

NC School of the Arts....Winston-Salem......692.............96

NC State U....................Raleigh.............22,754........7,203

UNC at Asheville............Asheville............3,539.............35

UNC at Chapel Hill.........Chapel Hill........16,525......10,353

UNC at Charlotte...........Charlotte..........15,875........3,971

UNC at Greensboro........Greensboro......11,623........3,706

UNC at Pembroke..........Pembroke..........4,508............519

UNC at Wilmington.........Wilmington.......10,514........1,060

Western Carolina U........Cullowhee..........6,785........1,611

Winston-Salem State U...Winston-Salem...4,568..........237

Sorry about the spacing, I was crunched for time

Can someone please tell me why enrollment numbers matter? Usually there is an inverse relationship between size of school and quality of individual education. As a Chapel Hill grad, one thing that I think detracted from my education was the school's size, despite having an excellent professors, highly educated peers, and having had excellent preparation by my high school.

It made freshman classes too large, made it difficult to get into some good classes, and meant that there were some people there that really didn't belong.

If higher enrollment numbers lead to diminished academic admissions standards, the impact to institutional reputation is tremendous. People who work with the worst student at the school for the rest of their lives will think less of the school. It is a lifetime of subtle damage to the school's reputation.

Can someone please tell me why enrollment numbers matter? Usually there is an inverse relationship between size of school and quality of individual education. As a Chapel Hill grad, the one thing that I think detracted from my education it was the school's size, despite having an excellent professors, highly educated peers, and having had excellent preparation by my high school.

It made freshman classes too large, made it difficult to get into some good classes, and meant that there were some people there that really didn't belong.

If higher enrollment numbers lead to diminished academic admissions standards, the impact to institutional reputation is tremendous. People who work with the worst student at the school for the rest of their lives will think less of the school. It is a lifetime of subtle damage to the school's reputation.

I left out part of that table that may interest you in the selectiveness of admissions, graduation rate, and how many are highly qualified that enroll. Those figures say more about a school, I was just answering the debate over size that seems to be so important to other people. I agree with your point that education can be diminished by size.

According to Wikipedia online encyclopedia, as of March 1st, these are the current enrollment rates at all 16 of the UNC system schools

It should be noted that wikipedia should not be considered a definitive source for anything as anyone can go in and edit the numbers. I believe accurate numbers for enrollment have already been posted in this thread.

It should be noted that wikipedia should not be considered a definitive source for anything as anyone can go in and edit the numbers. I believe accurate numbers for enrollment have already been posted in this thread.

I know about Wikipedia's reputation and I did my research. I looked these numbers up on each independent school's websites (aside from the >5000 student schools) and they matched up pretty well so I decided to keep them as is. The numbers on the previous post was way off saying that some schools had thousands more students than before. I just figured I'd put a more accurate representation.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started this thread I promised you guys some clearer pictures later. Well, here they are. Enjoy!

We'll start out with the Belk Tower

BelkTower.jpg

Next is the Arena

Arena.jpg

ArenaClock.jpg

The new Brocker Health Center under construction

BrockerEntrance.jpg

BrockerFront.jpg

BrockerSide.jpg

How about some statue pics

The miner in front of Cato

Cato.jpg

CatoMiner.jpg

CatoMinerClose.jpg

The eagle in front of Woodward

Eagle.jpg

EagleClose.jpg

The College of Education Entrance

Education.jpg

The College of Engineering

EngineeringBack2.jpg

EngineeringBack.jpg

EngineeringDirectory.jpg

EngineeringFloor.jpg

EngineeringFountain.jpg

EngineeringFront.jpg

EngineeringLobby.jpg

EngineeringHallway.jpg

EngineeringAtrium2.jpg

EngineeringAtrium.jpg

Engineering2ndFloor.jpg

EngineeringSide.jpg

College of Optical Science

OpticsSide.jpg

OpticsBack.jpg

Now to the College of Health and Human Services (nearing Completion)

NursingTop.jpg

Nursing1.jpg

NursingAngle.jpg

NursingBack.jpg

NursingCourtyard.jpg

NursingFront.jpg

NursingSide.jpg

The new parking deck construction. Will be next to the new Student Union building

ParkingG3.jpg

ParkingG2.jpg

ParkingG1.jpg

Robinson Hall (Dance and Theater) with its super-funky hanging ball lights :)

RobinsonBack.jpg

RobinsonFront.jpg

RonbinsonFrontClose.jpg

RonbinsonBalls.jpg

How about an update on the facade work on the library?

LibraryConstruction.jpg

LibraryConstruction2.jpg

LibrarySide.jpg

Now for an old vs. new comparison

Old Science building (Burson)

Burson.jpg

New Science Building (Woodward Hall)

Campus.jpg

Here are some buildings that have been around for a while...but they're still interesting.

Kennedy (ROTC building)

Kennedy.jpg

Storrs (College of Architecture)

StorrsEntrance.jpg

StoorsSide.jpg

Those messy architecture students

StorrsMess.jpg

Are the architecture students trying to mess with our heads?

StorrsStairs.jpg

The Rowe arts building

Rowe.jpg

This is the old engineering building. Remember what the new one looks like from earlier? Quite a step up, I'd say.

Smith.jpg

Colvard building

Colvard.jpg

McEniry (Geology and Geography)

McEniry.jpg

Old School UNCC Courtyard. Maybe the first one on campus.

DennyCourtyard.jpg

And, Finally, where I spend all of my time (until May 13) ... Friday building (Belk College of Business Administration)

Friday.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the tour!

you're right. I love the area between the library, halton arena and the old belk gym at night. The lamps line the sidewalk. I don't know how my camera would do at night but I will try it before I leave.

Anybody know what the library is supposed to look like when it's done? It's eyesore right now, hope all this work is worth it.

Haha, I never thought to look on Charlotte's website. It normally makes simple things impossibly hard to find.

Oh, and for those wondering about highway 49, here's an update on the new entrance, it will be completed by the spring 07 semester.

http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v...5/444e447f0317c

Haha, I never thought to look on Charlotte's website. It normally makes simple things impossibly hard to find.

Oh, and for those wondering about highway 49, here's an update on the new entrance, it will be completed by the spring 07 semester.

http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v...5/444e447f0317c

Thanks aussie luke, I like the idea of the new entrance, it is definitely overdue.

Thanks for the photo tour, UNCC. I do have to wonder about some of the modern buildings you chose to show as comparisons, though. Nobody thinks Kennedy is a good building, but Colvard, Fretwell, and Reese are great buildings architecturally. Colvard won an AIA award the year it was built.

The fact that the new Engineering school looks like the most UNengineered building ever constructed doesn't say much for the quality of work that we all know takes place in there. The idea of nine brick columns lining University City Blvd is even more insulting. I spend my life in McEniry, a building where the floor tiles are peeling up, the ceiling tiles are stained, the air conditioning either freezes you to death or makes you feel like you're in sub-Saharan Africa. This university can spend money on stupid things like a new entrance and doric columns for the College of Engineering, but it can't fix an InFocus projector in a lecture hall that's been inoperative the entire Spring semester? Infuriating! To top it all off, renderings were released recently showing the new facade of the front of the bookstore. What?!! There's nothing wrong with it. They're going to spend God-knows how much money doing nothing to the interior, but the exterior is getting...you guessed it...red brick. Again, why is that InFocus machine not fixed in McEniry? Oh yeah, that's right, they don't have any money for it.

Ooooh. Ahhhh. Here's our tax dollars and tuition at work:

.Bookstore02.jpg

Edited by Miesian Corners

Thanks for the photo tour, UNCC. I do have to wonder about some of the modern buildings you chose to show as comparisons, though. Nobody thinks Kennedy is a good building, but Colvard, Fretwell, and Reese are great buildings architecturally. Colvard won an AIA award the year it was built.

The fact that the new Engineering school looks like the most UNengineered building ever constructed doesn't say much for the quality of work that we all know takes place in there. The idea of nine brick columns lining University City Blvd is even more insulting. I spend my life in McEniry, a building where the floor tiles are peeling up, the ceiling tiles are stained, the air conditioning either freezes you to death or makes you feel like you're in sub-Saharan Africa. This university can spend money on stupid things like a new entrance and doric columns for the College of Engineering, but it can't fix an InFocus projector in a lecture hall that's been inoperative the entire Spring semester? Infuriating! To top it all off, renderings were released recently showing the new facade of the front of the bookstore. What?!! There's nothing wrong with it. They're going to spend God-knows how much money doing nothing to the interior, but the exterior is getting...you guessed it...red brick. Again, why is that InFocus machine not fixed in McEniry? Oh yeah, that's right, they don't have any money for it.

Ok, here's the run-down. Point your blame on the IT department for that inFocus projector. The school itself has nothing to do with when or if that gets fixed or replaced. I asked about one before and the answer I got was they had to order a part for it.... yea.

The thing about renovating the bookstore's outside instead of the inside is simple. They aren't going to touch that interior until the bookstore moves out. When will that happen? Relatively soon, I won't still be there when it happens (I hope) but it is moving into the new Student Union that they will start on once the new parking deck across from Woodward opens. They had to do it in that order because constructing the SU will knock out about 90% of the spaces behind burson and the new health/nursing/etc college building.

The school has money seeping out of its pours. I say the facade is actually needed because those umbrellas out in front of the bookstore suck. Just pester IT about that projector, they'll get it fixed if it's that important to them for you to stop bugging them. McEniry is still going under massive renovations even though they have reopened parts of the building. So don't worry about the tiles, they should be getting replaced in due time.