UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

CPCC and UNCC both used to have the beginnings of great modernist campuses, now they would be great movie sets because they could be any school in any part of the country. There was a big push in the 1990s at universities across the south to have more 'conservative' design guidelines,  which IDEO was the author of many. Hopefully, the future will lead to better architecture for state-funded buildings statewide, but especailly on university campuses.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CLT> said:

CPCC and UNCC both used to have the beginnings of great modernist campuses, now they would be great movie sets because they could be any school in any part of the country. There was a big push in the 1990s at universities across the south to have more 'conservative' design guidelines,  which IDEO was the author of many. Hopefully, the future will lead to better architecture for state-funded buildings statewide, but especailly on university campuses.

NC State continues to push the envelope for modern state funded buildings... That's a good and bad thing. The new buildings look amazing and the old ones look like Soviet monuments. UNC Charlotte has some similar building such as Burson and Colvard which are just kinda weird. Burson is hell hole but won awards when it was constructed.

• Like 3

I worked on a lawsuit once which involved the collapsed floor of a student apartment building just outside the campus.   As I lived on the south side of the QC, I never knew much about this campus.  However, I was surprised to see that it’s quite nice.  It reminds me a little of Elon.

18 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I worked on a lawsuit once which involved the collapsed floor of a student apartment building just outside the campus.   As I lived on the south side of the QC, I never knew much about this campus.  However, I was surprised to see that it’s quite nice.  It reminds me a little of Elon.

I lived in that apartment at The Circle :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

The timing of this, a few weeks after Phil DuBois said this wasn’t the right time, is amazingly frustrating.

He is technically correct, their will still only be one Wake Forest school of medicine but now students will have the choice of Charlotte or Winston

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

This is a photo my nephew took yesterday of the demo work being done at Sanford (or is it Moore Hall) on campus. 

UNCCdorm1.jpg

UNCCdorm2.jpg

That's Moore Hall. Sadly had my own experience with on campus tragedy there when my neighbor a few floors above fell out of his window. Not to suggest that's a reason to demolish a building, but among others, this building's days were numbered. I'm honestly not a fan of the decision to remodel the other two high rises (the cost alone is what made them decide to destroy rather that renovate Moore and Sanford.) The remodeled dorms looks nice, but inside they are pretty cramped, the ceilings at least seem lower than before (likely to conceal wiring and piping) and they added additional bath/shower rooms which take up space, and tighten the hallways. The building lobby's look nice, but to give them an open feel they took out the second floor to give a high ceiling and more amenity space.  In other word's, they took out a lot, and spent a ton of money on two buildings that will in the end, serve fewer students. 

3 hours ago, nakers2 said:

That's Moore Hall. Sadly had my own experience with on campus tragedy there when my neighbor a few floors above fell out of his window. Not to suggest that's a reason to demolish a building, but among others, this building's days were numbered. I'm honestly not a fan of the decision to remodel the other two high rises (the cost alone is what made them decide to destroy rather that renovate Moore and Sanford.) The remodeled dorms looks nice, but inside they are pretty cramped, the ceilings at least seem lower than before (likely to conceal wiring and piping) and they added additional bath/shower rooms which take up space, and tighten the hallways. The building lobby's look nice, but to give them an open feel they took out the second floor to give a high ceiling and more amenity space.  In other word's, they took out a lot, and spent a ton of money on two buildings that will in the end, serve fewer students. 

1) Ceiling heights are the exact same

2) The bathroom changes did NOT tighten the hallways - the hallways are essentially untouched in terms of walls.  The only thing was moving some doorways for the new bathrooms (Scott).  In Holshouser 2 of the hallways were removed to create the new suites.

3) Definitely did NOT remove the second floor

Not that I disagree with your sentiments but wanted to make sure the record was straight.