UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Dubois will be stepping down as Chancellor on June 30, 2020. 

Here's today's CBJ story regarding UNC Chancellor Phil Dubois' announcement that he'll retire as of June 30, 2020.  

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/07/30/dubois-to-retire-as-unc-charlotte-chancellor-in.html

image.jpeg.048c58c1fdabdc743e9b61815e61fa5a.jpeg

Excerpts from CBJ story

"Phil Dubois will retire as Chancellor of UNC Charlotte at the end of next June, capping a 15-year tenure at what has become one of the largest institutions in the University of North Carolina system." ...  “Let me say that it has been my honor and privilege to serve as your chancellor,” Dubois writes in an email to the UNC Charlotte community. " .. "Dubois became UNC Charlotte's fourth chancellor in July 2005. During his tenure, he managed the UNC system’s fastest-growing and  third-largest institution by headcount with 43% growth in enrollment since 2005.  The school's statement says Dubois helped UNC Charlotte make steady and significant improvements in the academic credentials and ethnic diversity of incoming freshmen and transfers."  ...  “It has been an extraordinary journey for me to serve as chancellor of UNC Charlotte and for Lisa to serve as its First Lady,” Dubois says. "   “Leading this campus and working with such wonderful people has been an experience of a lifetime.  When we pass the torch, I am confident that the best is yet to come for this great university!”

Largest colleges and universities in North Carolina

Ranked by Fall 2018 undergraduate enrollment

Rank College Or University Name Fall 2018 Undergraduate Enrollment
1 N.C. State University 25,199
2 UNC Charlotte 24,387
3 East Carolina University 23,071

• Like 2

Wholly cow!  So UNCC was the 2nd largest University by undergrad enrollment.  Anyone think there’s a chance it could grow to the first largest by undergrad enrollment in the next few years?  What’s fueling its enrollment growth?

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 2

The real answer to UNCC enrollment growth is transfers from Community Colleges.  UNCC has the highest, by far, inbound transfer rates from C.C's, because admission standards to those transfers are significantly lower than Chapel Hill or N.C. State.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wholly cow!  So UNCC was the 2nd largest University by undergrad enrollment.  Anyone think there’s a chance it could grow to the first largest by undergrad enrollment in the next few years?  What’s fueling its enrollment growth?

Enrollment growth is limited by enrollment growth funding which is allocated by the legislature — UNCC got zero enrollment growth funding last year (despite an additional 1,000(?) students. In the current political climate there will be no growth if there is no money (tuition goes to the general fund, not to the university).

its political, not organic.

Edited by kermit

13 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Doesn’t the school still have 100+ undeveloped acres on the other side of Mallard Creek Church Road? 

Yes the school has a large block of land zoned for institutional land use across mallard creek church rd. The only problem is there is a house and a small apartment complex that both (from what I've heard) are refusing to sell out or want a ridiculous price and without those 2 peices it would be hard to connect that side of campus to the current 

Screenshot_20190731-131801_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190731-131818_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trickbot said:

Yes the school has a large block of land zoned for institutional land use across mallard creek church rd. The only problem is there is a house and a small apartment complex that both (from what I've heard) are refusing to sell out or want a ridiculous price and without those 2 peices it would be hard to connect that side of campus to the current 

Screenshot_20190731-131801_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190731-131818_Maps.jpg

I’m pretty sure that apartment complex is on land the school previously owned and sold. I guess they have no intention of using majority of it since it is on a flood plain. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...