UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

On 10/16/2019 at 12:23 AM, Trickbot said:

In the first screenshot is where the new in campus hotel is being built. In the 2nd screenshot though there is a large construction project going on between Snyder Road and the football practice field. I have tried finding out what is was on my own but cant find it for the life of me. Does anyone have any ideas on what it is?

Screenshot_20191016-001919_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191016-001945_Maps.jpg

The early college that currently is the collection of trailers next to the CRI Deck will move there permanently.

In addition, that's the start of a new road that will eventually connect with the 90 degree bend in Cameron Blvd. It will be right-only egress onto Tryon.

https://inside.uncc.edu/news-features/2019-05-24/construction-conference-centerhotel-underway

https://facilities.uncc.edu/our-services/business-related-services/capital-projects/business-opportunities/advertisements/new-charlotte-research-institute-entrance-design-services

https://facilities.uncc.edu/sites/facilities.uncc.edu/files/media/Planning/UNCC-CRI North Entry Road Report 11-22-10.pdf

https://masterplan.uncc.edu/sites/masterplan.uncc.edu/files/media/UNCC-2010MasterPlan-FullReport_Revised-2011_04April27.pdf

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Even though I attended when it was like 20-25k, this is still mind-boggling. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Especially amazing considering that everything is still online. 

I received an email on the 15th saying that the Dean of Belk College of Business had been told that on-campus instruction would indeed start back up on October 1st.  Nothing further has been said, but I suspect an official announcement will be sent in the next day or so.  For the sake of my emotional sanity, I am desperately hoping that nothing has changed...

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1

The Chancellor just sent a lengthy email to all students and faculty.  Here's a snippet....

"After careful consideration of available data and consultation with both county health officials and the UNC System, UNC Charlotte will:

• Resume select in-person instruction on Oct. 1 in specific areas of academic study and for those students making a transition to University life.
  • Move to all online/remote classes following the Thanksgiving break, including the delivery of all exams.

We are placing an emphasis on the return to on-campus instruction in two areas.

• Programs for which in-person access to facilities, equipment or other resources are needed to ensure that we can maintain the best environment for instruction. These programs include:
            *Engineering
            *Science lab classes
            *Studio and performance art classes
            *Clinical programs in the College of Health and Human Services
            *Architecture
  • Courses serving primarily first-year students (freshmen and transfer) in order to ensure that students can successfully transition to University instruction, build community and access campus support (e.g., Prospect for Success, liberal studies and similar lower-division courses)."

I am studying finance, so not sure if any of my classes will be allowed to move back on campus.  It appears that everything will move back online following Thanksgiving anyway, which makes the move back on campus (for some) seem rather pointless to me.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Update on what's happening on the campus of UNCC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoz9tu7veQg

This is awesome! After watching this video and reminiscing on Charlotte game days, when will they start construction on the upper level stands? Since we broke 30,000 this year it seems like a good time to break ground.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 11:39 AM, csweet said:

This is awesome! After watching this video and reminiscing on Charlotte game days, when will they start construction on the upper level stands? Since we broke 30,000 this year it seems like a good time to break ground.

Right now there’s no telling but I would suspect because of COVID-19 limiting games and fans currently that it won’t happen until sometime well after 2025.  I think what’s more of a controlling factor is how well the team does in the next five years and how well they are attended.  If Every game are Sold out and that way for a few years straight along with more bowl game appearances and wins the University would make it a priority.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Right now there’s no telling but I would suspect because of COVID-19 limiting games and fans currently that it won’t happen until sometime well after 2025.  I think what’s more of a controlling factor is how well the team does in the next five years and how well they are attended.  If Every game are Sold out and that way for a few years straight along with more bowl game appearances and wins the University would make it a priority.  

I hope it doesn’t take until 2025 or beyond. If we can get Covid under control, I’d say after the 2021 season.  So, 2022-ish.  You don’t have to sellout every single game (to justify expansion), however, you need to have the capability to host big games. Before Covid, expansion felt very imminent  (release of the master plan for facilities). Expansion needs to happen ASAP tho. There’s a trickle down effect that impacts recruiting, perception, etc. In the next five years, the OOC schedule has Duke, Maryland, ECU, UNC, Ole Miss coming here...Need to at least double that capacity from 15k to 30k+. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

My daughter, who is currently a high school senior, is considering attending UNC-Charlotte. That is a long way from where we live but I am excited for her if she chooses it. My grandmother was from Kannapolis and I have a niece in the Rock Hill area and a cousin a few miles east of Charlotte. If I miss her too much I may have to move over that way. Any suggestions for empty-nesters who want to be near their only child and smother her and never let her grow up? :)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

My daughter, who is currently a high school senior, is considering attending UNC-Charlotte. That is a long way from where we live but I am excited for her if she chooses it. My grandmother was from Kannapolis and I have a niece in the Rock Hill area and a cousin a few miles east of Charlotte. If I miss her too much I may have to move over that way. Any suggestions for empty-nesters who want to be near their only child and smother her and never let her grow up? :)

Live in NoDa area so you can take the train to bother her whenever you want.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 12:45 PM, KJHburg said:

Cut through campus today.  As a UNCC alum I am proud how the campus looks much better than when I went there.  It was good to see some students mulling around too.  The new recreation center and the new science building today. 

Bears worth mentioning that both of those projects are designed with future expansion/phases in mind.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...