UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

On 8/20/2021 at 1:35 PM, DownEast said:

Blue Devil = Trust fund kid from New Jersey.

The NYC metro has tons of students and alumni at Duke.  Here's one of the more famous New Yorkers who are currently at Duke.

https://www.wral.com/jerry-seinfeld-and-wife-jessica-seen-in-durham-on-duke-move-in-day/19831826/

Jerry Seinfield and his wife, Jessica, were seen at Parker & Otis in Durham on Tuesday for Duke move-in day.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, cltcane said:

I’m partial to the University of New Jersey at Durham.

I go to Duke a lot, and there are tons of Range Rovers, BMWs, and Benzes with NY, CT, and NJ plates.  That being said, Duke is like the Ivys in that most of the alumni live in the NYC metro.   As I recall, most Duke alums live in NC, but the Tristate Area has the second most.  Similarly, Boston has the most Harvard alums, but NY has the second most.  For all other Ivies though, most alumni live in NY.  

It's not surprising though because NY is the richest city in America by a very wide margin, and hyper-competitive people want to be there.  It's why they keep building $100m+ condos to this day, along with 1,000'+ office towers everywhere, culminating with the new 1,646' 175 Park.  Whether people like NY or not, it is the undisputed power center.   It's not for everyone, but there is just nothing remotely like it.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the new Moore Hall is starting.  I guess I thought it already had but perhaps delayed by Covid.  

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte’s new residence hall begins construction | Building Design + Construction (bdcnetwork.com)

Yes - it started under construction following the demolition of old Moore Hall, in January 2020.  Some site work was completed and then Covid hit.  The project was paused and then cancelled.  It was rebid and has started under construction again!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the new Moore Hall is starting.  I guess I thought it already had but perhaps delayed by Covid.  

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte’s new residence hall begins construction | Building Design + Construction (bdcnetwork.com)

Did you see this residence hall below: Pratt Institute Residence Hall completes, opens | Building Design + Construction (bdcnetwork.com)?

Why can't we have nice things? Instead, we get derivative claptrap, not much different from this Crappy Cheapo Architecture: The Boathouse in Southampton England (wixsite.com)

Edited by davidclt

I find that new university architecture with stone/brick facades often looks strange due to how new they look. We are not used to this kind of architecture looking new, as the style only recently revived after years of brutalist of modernist buildings. I think you may grow to like it more once it ages some, I’ve found that to be true about some of the other newer buildings on campus 

18 hours ago, davidclt said:

Did you see this residence hall below: Pratt Institute Residence Hall completes, opens | Building Design + Construction (bdcnetwork.com)?

Why can't we have nice things? Instead, we get derivative claptrap, not much different from this Crappy Cheapo Architecture: The Boathouse in Southampton England (wixsite.com)

Also, Pratt is a private school that emphasizes design and engineering. It charges $$$ for tuition, and can likely burden themselves with these structures against that high tuition. 

UNC Charlotte is better suited with this architecture only because it's efficient and simple enough to last for years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When UNCC undertook a redesign of the campus ~ 30 years ago the main entrance was to be moved to N Tryon and the look and feel was to be a unified native Carolina brick experience. A few existing buildings are still on campus from prior to that time and serve as a counterpoint to the newer design. For a public institution which must make the most of its land and budget in building a growing campus the design is pleasing to my eye. Whether the buildings work as intended I cannot say. 

Perhaps the first, strongest impression I have from visiting a private university compared to a public is the generous open space, quads and commons, varying designs of high quality, well tended landscapes and the interiors have artwork, solid and functional furniture that has flair, softer surfaces and everything that suggests money. Well planned publics with little history such as UNCC go for unity and compact locations even if a visitor has a very difficult time determining one building from the rest. Wayfinding is critical in such a case where building resemble each other.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

When we visited UNC Charlotte I thought the architecture was pretty. My daughter and wife think the campus is beautiful also (especially from a vegetation standpoint). Much better than a couple of state universities we visited IMHO. The clock tower near the basketball arena, meh. I think my daughter's dorm is pretty cool looking (which looks alot like the new Moore Hall).

Levine?  Same architect…

While I'm generally not familiar with Pratt, I think that example is pretty bad. There are nice examples of contemporary design residence halls out there, but that one has really cheap looking detailing. If you hold your thumb over the weird biophilic element it's a very unattractive building. 

• Like 1

From the POV of many students I can say they’re more worried about what’s inside than what it appears from the outside. As long as the amenities justify that hefty price tag, that is all that people care about. Most end up moving out of dorms anyways if they can. A lot of people end up saving thousands living off campus housing. Yeah it’s bland but it isn’t an eyesore at the very least.

I was at UNCC when it was being demolished. Lots of students protested, a lot. It was a spot people liked to hang out or pass out little flyers and was a gathering place of sorts. 

Edit: I hate the rebrand. Any other alumni like the new look? I think I dislike it because I still wear my UNCC stuff often and my diploma and such has the old UNCC logo on it. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MothBeast said:

What is this?

It was a bell tower. The slots in the upper portion are for the electronic tones to spread by amplification. Always reminded me of a hypodermic needle. The central location and tall distinctive design were to make it a campus feature. Decision a few years ago to remove it. I know not if the Belk family was consulted.

To be clear, it was removed because it was deemed structurally unsound and a safety hazard. There used to be an apartment building in Miami that would indicate that this was a prudent decision.  Unfortunate, because I agree with the consensus of it being unique and worth saving otherwise. Some argued it was worth the ~$1 million price to save it.

Edited by JBS
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I was at UNCC when it was being demolished. Lots of students protested, a lot. It was a spot people liked to hang out or pass out little flyers and was a gathering place of sorts. 

Edit: I hate the rebrand. Any other alumni like the new look? I think I dislike it because I still wear my UNCC stuff often and my diploma and such has the old UNCC logo on it. 

Agree to disagree brother. Everyone has an opinion but man the rebrand was needed bad. Name confusion was the biggest culprit. New logo and marketing is the way to go. 

I agree with youthat the belk tower should have never gone. The new logo is way cleaner too than the c49er jumbled blob. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz