UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

Phase III I believe is still the only one still known by that naming system....though it has the enduring nickname of "smurf village"

Heh, that is where I'm living at this year. It would save alot of trouble if they just renamed it to officially be Smurf Village. :D Maybe an alumni with alot of money one day will pay to do that.

And on note about the "wally" the group that did it blogged about it and put a picture if you want to see (found it via Google):

http://pure.typepad.com/x3pure/2006/10/wally_big_man_o.html

Edited by Batou

I miss good ol' Wally.

Halloween night I attempted to take a picture of Belk Tower on campus with my new cell phone, turns out my new cell phone sucks as a camera just like my old one. The school had the tower lit up bright green. I was curious if anybody knew if that was for Halloween or for a game.

On a side note, they have now finished bricking up two sides of the Atkins Library tower. Now all those sides need is glass. Then I can finally climb up the stairs (or elevator when I don't feel motivated) and enjoy the unobstructed view of Charlotte again.

Edited by aussie luke

I miss good ol' Wally.

Halloween night I attempted to take a picture of Belk Tower on campus with my new cell phone, turns out my new cell phone sucks as a camera just like my old one. The school had the tower lit up bright green. I was curious if anybody knew if that was for Halloween or for a game.

On a side note, they have now finished bricking up two sides of the Atkins Library tower. Now all those sides need is glass. Then I can finally climb up the stairs (or elevator when I don't feel motivated) and enjoy the unobstructed view of Charlotte again.

http://www.nineronline.com/media/storage/p...nineronline.com

It's for all basketball games when they will do it. It's a new thing they started this year.

Edited by Batou

I miss good ol' Wally.

Aussie, I do the exact same thing when it comes to great unobstructed views of Charlotte. On a clear day, you can see for miles and miles. It truly is a great view.

• 2 years later...

Nice pics, I've liked watching the progress of the student union over time because I pass right through it anyway when I park in the Union Deck (though I really wish they made that parking deck bigger it's really a mess sometimes). I also can't wait to be able to cut right through there to get to lot 25 near the police station when I'm walking because it would save alot of time. Also who did that sculpture in the other 2 shots it's pretty interesting.

Edited by Batou

• 4 months later...

I can't wait for it to open. The new bookstore is large enough to have two floors. It looks like the first floor, the one with the merchandise other than textbooks, is about 1.5x the size of the textbook floor. It really is an exciting building, and the bookstore is really well done, I would know since that is me in the first pic with my load of overpriced textbooks...ah senior year.

I can't wait for it to open. The new bookstore is large enough to have two floors. It looks like the first floor, the one with the merchandise other than textbooks, is about 1.5x the size of the textbook floor. It really is an exciting building, and the bookstore is really well done, I would know since that is me in the first pic with my load of overpriced textbooks...ah senior year.

The only thing that gets me is that the drink and snack selection has seemed to diminish drastically in the new store. :( I wanted one of those grape Dasani waters but they weren't carrying them. Oh well, The store is Awesome! can't wait for the theatre.

They do carry them. At least I thought I saw some resemblance of a food section. There is about four drink cabinets over in a corner left of the registers. It looked like a small area was set out for food...but then again, there's gonna be a lot of food in this building!

look for the new residence hall to begin construction pretty soon actually. I believe campus directors have stated that they want the new hall, in the Laurel (Squires Hall) parking lot, to be open by 2011. Also EPIC has been fast tracked in the state government, but that is all I know as of now, someone else may know more!

look for the new residence hall to begin construction pretty soon actually. I believe campus directors have stated that they want the new hall, in the Laurel (Squires Hall) parking lot, to be open by 2011. Also EPIC has been fast tracked in the state government, but that is all I know as of now, someone else may know more!

IMO they should build a new parking deck or something first then build the new residence halls instead of constantly making it harder for people to park when they do stuff like this.

yes I stayed in Holshouser and Scott hall towers when I was at UNC-Charlotte in the 90s. They were out of date then and the common areas on each floor are dark and gloomy. Back then there were rumors of building on to Scott and Moore Hall and making the two one building. But the exterior of those buildings are horrible. They look like jail towers. I was at UNCC when the library tower looked like this. Towards the end of my freshman year at UNCC they started refacing the building with brick.

daltontowercolor_w.jpg

atkins%20renovation3.JPG

atkins%20renovation1.JPG

newatkins_w.jpg

HA HA now if they can only do something about the Jackson Library Tower at UNCG. It looks like a jail tower

library.jpg

Edited by cityboi

yes I stayed in Holshouser and Scott hall towers when I was at UNC-Charlotte in the 90s. They were out of date then and the common areas on each floor are dark and gloomy. Back then there were rumors of building on to Scott and Moore Hall and making the two one building. But the exterior of those buildings are horrible. They look like jail towers. I was at UNCC when the library tower looked like this. Towards the end of my freshman year at UNCC they started refacing the building with brick.

Ah, but the important thing to remember is "do it right the first time." They had to reclad the building, again, when large sections of the faux brick veneer started falling off about 3 or 4 years ago.

Ah, but the important thing to remember is "do it right the first time." They had to reclad the building, again, when large sections of the faux brick veneer started falling off about 3 or 4 years ago.

That, IMO, is a lesson that everyone should take into consideration- particularly as it relates to the built environment. You usually only get one shot at it, so do it right the first time.

I didn't realize what that building used to look like. The brick looks a lot better. In fact, I like all of the new buildings that UNCC is adding. They have that timeless collegiate look. In 200 years they will still be classy.

The brick is awful! UNC Charlotte did a disservice to the campus by removing the International Style Atkins facade and giving it a shot of classicism gone awry. While the second attempt is better than the first, it's still terrible. I am red-bricked out at my campus. One look at the new Student Union and anyone could understand why--it's a brick beast. Thankfully, the new chancellor appreciates modern design and is looking forward rather than backwards.

The Observer has a slideshow of the new Student Union on their site: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/109/gallery/882382.html

How big is the Barnes and Noble?

Sadly, not big at all. In fact, the new bookstore is only 2,000 square feet larger than the old one (in terms of selling space). It has no more general interest books than the Prospector Bookstore did, leaving University City still with no decent bookstore.

Well if they are not tearing down the highrises they better be gutting them and totally remodelling them, I was in Moore in the eighties and I'm sure it is no better with age. :unsure:

I'm actually glad they are not tearing them down. I work in housing and do the remodeling. Remodeling any building on campus is hard. Some kids don't know how to treat a room. I am also glad to hear about the new residence hall. Although I do agree, more parking decks are needed.

daltontowercolor_w.jpg

Thanks for this picture. It actually answers a question that I had, which was when did Kennedy (the building to the far right in the picture) get cladded in brick. It appears the answer is a long time ago, and possible always. The brick looks horrible, so I had assumed it was a recent "must-brick-everything" addition.

It does still have a great "Googie" architecture pergola in concrete in front of the main entrance.

kennedy.jpg