Creative Loafing does not accomplish its mission

voyager12

I think they drop the ball. I am a big fan of alternative papers and was excited to have a CL when I moved to Charlotte from Charleston. I quickly realized that Charleston' s City Paper is far superior in every category. Granted, Charleston may have a leg up in the A/E by virtue of its location but they also turn out hard hitting and informative investigative pieces on a consistent basis. However,Charlotte is the largest metro in the state and we deserve better .Most of Charlotte's CL stories are amateurish, have juvenile humor and do not inform at all. The entire paper is overwhelmed by ads. I know they depend on advts for survival but a little more news would be nice. Additonally, Asheville's Mountain Xpress and the Triangle's Independent also both leave CL in the dust in every regard. Creative Loafing seems to have a split personality and can't decide of it wants to be a relevant and unique alternative source to the Observer or a comic book. They need to improve or let a real alternative paper take over the space they are wasting.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never seen an issue of creative loafing that was really that relevant. Even the Observer is better and that says a lot for how bad CL is. I think the only paper in the city that is worse is the Business Journal.

I understand the Rhino Times is a lot better, and of course if one lives in the North, the Huntersville Herald is pretty good.

Yeah, Rhino Times definitely has a better reputation for being an independent news source. Granted, it is very slanted and predictable, but at least it brings out unreported facts and shapes debates.

Creative Loafing is pretty much just worthwhile for its ads. I agree that it definitely doesn't fulfill its intended purpose.

Come now guys (and girls), the only thing we learn from Rhino is which women have purchased a new set, as those are the only photos to ever appear on the front page of the rag. Amazing. The headline can read: "Beastiality Ring Discovered at CMS" and beside it would be a pic of three attractive ladies with plunging necklines at a local bar.

I think the Rhino's willingness to "go for the throat" of city/county officials, does at least get the mainstream papers to wade in a few steps deeper on things. Otherwise there's just no coverage... "assume everything is fine and will be taken care of" complacency is too easy to set in.

I hate both the Whino and CL with near equal passion. The Whino simply skews facts, quotes incompetent people and operates under the general assumption that roads aren't subsidized transit options. CL always seems to have some angry suburban woman trying regain some sense of self by telling the world of some lesbian experience she had once upon a time.....plus they have Tara. Usually her bias shifts three times throughout the story, and if she happens to maintain a stance, I instantly make the opposite view part of my creed. The last issue that David Walters wrote in was the last issue that I ever read.

This week's CL issue sure is a snoozer. I don't care one way or the other where the political tides are going in country music.

I still think they should chuck Hollis Gillespie and give that space to a local columnist. Please find somebody who can at least come up with material that jibes with the title of the piece.

I still think they should chuck Hollis Gillespie and give that space to a local columnist. Please find somebody who can at least come up with material that jibes with the title of the piece.

You all have to read her junk too? Sorry about that, can't stand her either...

Tara Servatius is the best investigative reporter in Charlotte, hands down. The rest of the staff can only write articles about how everything is Bush's fault and show no diversity of opinion.

I do enjoy the soundboard to keep track of local music shows and the occasional featured article that might not suck.

Also, the best of Charlotte issue is usually pretty good.

• 1 month later...

The Whino Times is Rush Limbaugh in print. Nothing is ever good or positive if it involved money, change, or anything I think it good. The only thing they have positive is pictures from parties around town -- I guess just so they can have something positive.

Creative Loafing is also mostly negative. I rarely see a positive story in it -- you'd think nothing positive happened around town. It reminds me of no-fat cheese, it looks like cheese and I keep trying it, but it doesn't taste like anything.

Charlotte doesn't really have any GREAT publications that I have found.

Archived