Fort Saginaw Mall and Downtown Saginaw Mall

TenPoundHammer

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/forgottenmi/fortsaginaw.html

This is a page I created a couple years ago regarding the abandoned Fort Saginaw Mall in Saginaw. I thought some of the viewers of this page might like it.

I mention the Downtown Saginaw mall on there too - anyone know anything at all about that property? Somebody sent me a list of the stores in it, but I lost that list.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man that's awsome that you have those pics and files, i'm obsessed with stuff like this, the has beens, and the never were's. Where is this mall located in Saginaw. and when was the last time they used the indoor portion?

Man that's awsome that you have those pics and files, i'm obsessed with stuff like this, the has beens, and the never were's. Where is this mall located in Saginaw. and when was the last time they used the indoor portion?

I would guess the early 1990's, I have a 1990 phone book that still lists about ten inline tenants. Also, the east anchor store was open until 1992. The Kmart remained open for about a decade after the indoor portion closed.

I remember going in the indoors part of the Fort Saginaw Mall in the mid 90's. It was closed then, but opened because event space was needed for something. It was basically a wreck in there. Who knows what will become of this.

As for the downtown Saginaw mall. I just barely remember it in its waning days. I know in the 80's I recall ground floor retail being open. There wree some stores on the inside but it was dead silent. The mall was just downright ugly. It had no appeal to it, and no major stores like Fashion Square had. Currently the mall is a downtown annex to Delta College. The skybridge link to the arena and theater was removed when the Civic Center had a major renovation.

Pics? I have pics if you'd like me to post.

I remember going in the indoors part of the Fort Saginaw Mall in the mid 90's. It was closed then, but opened because event space was needed for something. It was basically a wreck in there. Who knows what will become of this.

As for the downtown Saginaw mall. I just barely remember it in its waning days. I know in the 80's I recall ground floor retail being open. There wree some stores on the inside but it was dead silent. The mall was just downright ugly. It had no appeal to it, and no major stores like Fashion Square had. Currently the mall is a downtown annex to Delta College. The skybridge link to the arena and theater was removed when the Civic Center had a major renovation.

Pics? I have pics if you'd like me to post.

Go ahead and post.

• 1 month later...

There is a Saginaw Wiki now and we're looking for any information dealing with Saginaw, historic, current events, famous people, etc. It is a total not for profit project. I was born and still live in Saginaw. TenPoundHammer, I found your site about Fort Saginaw Mall and it is such a great source of information and pictures. I added it to the wiki but can remove it or edit it if you see fit. :blush: We're just trying to gather information on Saginaw to make it more "virtually" appealing. Please contribute if you can!! :)http://www.saginawiki.org/

There is a Saginaw Wiki now and we're looking for any information dealing with Saginaw, historic, current events, famous people, etc. It is a total not for profit project. I was born and still live in Saginaw. TenPoundHammer, I found your site about Fort Saginaw Mall and it is such a great source of information and pictures. I added it to the wiki but can remove it or edit it if you see fit. :blush: We're just trying to gather information on Saginaw to make it more "virtually" appealing. Please contribute if you can!! :)http://www.saginawiki.org/

Thanks for using my information on Fort Saginaw Mall; I changed it to "with permission". Someday I'll probably get around to making pages for Fashion Square and Downtown Saginaw Malls, maybe even Green Acres Plaza. Anyone have anything on those centers?

• 2 months later...

Downtown Saginaw Mall was part of an ill fated (as were most) urban renewal project in the post-riot era.

It included the mall, hotel, convention center, and bus station.

I went there a few times in the early 70s, I remember Morley Bros. opened there instead of Fashion Square, and suffered the consequences. Was Jacobson's there too? I can't remember. It was always dark and concrete prison looking ...

For Midland people, Fort Saginaw was on the "wrong side of the river."

My parents shopped at Green Acres until Fashion Square opened. Midland Mall was stilll many years away.

Downtown Saginaw Mall was part of an ill fated (as were most) urban renewal project in the post-riot era.

It included the mall, hotel, convention center, and bus station.

I went there a few times in the early 70s, I remember Morley Bros. opened there instead of Fashion Square, and suffered the consequences. Was Jacobson's there too? I can't remember. It was always dark and concrete prison looking ...

As far as I know, Morley's was the only anchor at DSM. Somebody sent me a pic and some tenant listings; the only stores I remember on said list were Zales, Hallmark, and I think a bookstore. Dang if I can remember what I did with said listing!

I vaguely rememebr the downtown saginaw mall when it was still functioning as a mall. Afterwords, it was filled with a few offices and served as a way of passage between the parking structure and the events center. Heaven forbid people walk across the street where shots can ring out at anytime.

It's a shame Morley's moved their offices out of downtown Saginaw as well. My mother used to work as a computer progammer there back in the early 80's before they peaced for the suburbs. The building was old, but in excellent shape. It was huge loss to the downtown. Now we have desolate Morley plaza and that obnoxious blank wall of Citizens bank staring back.

Archived