The death of plainfield

Used to be a thriving, buzzing, little area. Mall, stores, resteraunts, people.

Now, it is a wasteland.

D&W foods is officially gone.

The Meijer is a junky, old, meijer where attendance is down because of the Rockford and Knapp Meijer's.

Whitmark building is STILL empty.

The chinese resteraunt infront of the old NK mall is abandoned.

The movie theater has been empty for a decade, as has the hot n' now.

The Meijer office building is empty for the time being, a church said they were going to build, but they havent.

Farther down, a small strip mall was built 3 years ago off plainfield, on the service ct. and still sits completely empty.

Most of the buildings are old and run down.

The "plainfield plaza" is the busiest thing left. :cry: But I have to imagine MC Sporting goods is on its last leg.

Soon it'll be another creepy area with an unemployment office, and a Sec. of State, and nothing else.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, it is a wasteland.

D&W foods is officially gone.

The Meijer is a junky, old, meijer where attendance is down because of the Rockford and Knapp Meijer's.

Whitmark building is STILL empty.

The chinese resteraunt infront of the old NK mall is abandoned.

The movie theater has been empty for a decade, as has the hot n' now.

The Meijer office building is empty for the time being, a church said they were going to build, but they havent.

Farther down, a small strip mall was built 3 years ago off plainfield, on the service ct. and still sits completely empty.

Most of the buildings are old and run down.

The "plainfield plaza" is the busiest thing left. :cry: But I have to imagine MC Sporting goods is on its last leg.

Soon it'll be another creepy area with an unemployment office, and a Sec. of State, and nothing else.

Having no reason to be out that way - how many car dealerships are left on the "Plainfield Motor Mile"?

And a Lowes, and the auto dealerships will still dominate, and tehres actually quite a few offices in that area too, and dont forget the Grand Inn! :lol:

Actually with all the free area (and probably cheap) I'm surprised Wal-mart hasn't considered putting a Super Wal-mart on Plainfield. As sad as that sounds, it makes sense for them to do that.

You would impact three Meijer's with one stone (probably forcing the existing one on Plainfield out of business) Put it right where Hills was, tear down the old shopping centre, and move the sec of state.

And a Lowes, and the auto dealerships will still dominate, and tehres actually quite a few offices in that area too, and dont forget the Grand Inn! :lol:

Actually with all the free area (and probably cheap) I'm surprised Wal-mart hasn't considered putting a Super Wal-mart on Plainfield. As sad as that sounds, it makes sense for them to do that.

You would impact three Meijer's with one stone (probably forcing the existing one on Plainfield out of business) Put it right where Hills was, tear down the old shopping centre, and move the sec of state.

Grand inn = Old President's inn. Shame.

Don't forget the Lazy T, that thing is a beauty!

For as bad as plainfield is doing, there are still some positives in the area.

Northview schools are still good, and Thousand oaks is a high-end public course within the community, bringing some wealth into the area.

But I think someone hit it pretty close to on the head. I contend that the Rise of Alpine Avenue, lead to the fall of Plainfield.

To add to that, I think the decline on the 28th st. corridor From Kzoo, all the way to Ivanrest, has alot to do with the developement of 44th/Rivertown pkwy

But I think someone hit it pretty close to on the head. I contend that the Rise of Alpine Avenue, lead to the fall of Plainfield.

To add to that, I think the decline on the 28th st. corridor From Kzoo, all the way to Ivanrest, has alot to do with the developement of 44th/Rivertown pkwy

If Downtown ever got an urban mall, we might be talking about the death of Alpine Avenue in 10 years.

Not to pick on MJLO here but the tone of all of these posts is revering the rise of Alpine. Alpine is no model of urban planning. If ever they make the risqu

c'mon people, as long as there is a russ' on plainfield to help everyone fulfill their dutch cravings, plainfield is going to be fine :thumbsup:

But there is one on Alpine :lol:

Alpine has a million apartment buildings, and walker has that development going in, something plainfield never had.

True, but if you go down Fuller, and go even a block off Plainfield there is a lot of houses behind the rotted out commercial.

although if Downtown GR got an urban mall or large retail development (like say, a waterfront property south of the arena) The retailers would be totally different from the majority that we have in Malls currently.

I am by no means Championing Alpine, I lived off of the Alpine Corridor for ten years, and only moved because I had to move to Phoenix, which is like one giant Alpine. Trust me, during the holiday season, there is no place more annoying in West Michigan than Alpine Ave. I do say though, that as Alpine Built up, Plainfield, turned more in to a neighborhood road. And also a commuter rd. How else do you contend how over a course of about 20 years, everything on Plainfield declined.

I am by no means Championing Alpine, I lived off of the Alpine Corridor for ten years, and only moved because I had to move to Phoenix, which is like one giant Alpine. Trust me, during the holiday season, there is no place more annoying in West Michigan than Alpine Ave. I do say though, that as Alpine Built up, Plainfield, turned more in to a neighborhood road. And also a commuter rd. How else do you contend how over a course of about 20 years, everything on Plainfield declined.

The movie theater has been finally sold, and guess what it is going to be? A car dealership, but at least it will come alive again. There also is a rumor that Northtown is negotiating with Family Fare to do a new big store there to replace the D&W that is going dark. Plainfield is still a viable corridor and has the demographics to support a second generation of development. Recylcling is inevitable.

Now, it is a wasteland. ...

Frank's closed, leaving the adjacent Hancock Fabrics in a dark empty parking lot. They've adjusted their hours, which causes some surprises (whaddya mean you close at 8pm??).

Best thing on Plainfield is the Meijer clearance store, IMHO.

Over on Alpine, the Cracker Barrel has shuttered (due to its remote location, no doubt).

Over on Alpine, the Cracker Barrel has shuttered (due to its remote location, no doubt).

Oh dear - didn't hear about that one. I loved their sourdough sandwiches.

And yes - they were about as far away from the mall entrance as possible.

Frank's closed, leaving the adjacent Hancock Fabrics in a dark empty parking lot. They've adjusted their hours, which causes some surprises (whaddya mean you close at 8pm??).

Very interesting...their location was poor. They usually like to have direct access to an interchange.

Makes me wonder how often a Cracker Barrell closes. I would imagine that there can't be too many that have had to close.

(Sorry...don't mean to turn this into a CB thread)

Speaking of Alpine if you like Qdoba, theres one going in on the former Clock site.

As I posted in the death of Plainfield thread. Plainfield is most certainly not dead. Remeber that available land for development on corridors such as Alpine etc. is becoming limited. There are also lots of rooftops to that need services. Plainfiled is going through a recycling phase that will eventually bear fruit. Family Fare is rumored to be negotiating for a new store to revitalize Northtown Center. This will bring a new energy to that quadrant. If meijer and Walmart competitors did not control much of the large tracts, Wal MArt woulfd have built on Plainfield. Meijer is very very selective on who can use the old bldg on the north end. The theater is sold to a car dealer and will come alive again. There is nothing wrong with the motor mile concept, it brings people in from all over town and they eat, drink, and shop. I will stop my rant, but the negativity is hard to ignore. I see alot of opportunity along Plainfield. There, I feel better.

So do I, although everyone and their Grandma hates it a Super Wal-mart would be an ideal catalyst towards revitalizing Plainfield.

So do I, although everyone and their Grandma hates it a Super Wal-mart would be an ideal catalyst towards revitalizing Plainfield.

Snoogit, I'm going to ask you to do something for me. I would like you to find and watch a documentary entitled: Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices.

I'm serious now....I would really like you to do this for me.

You will never look at that company in the same light ever again, and you will realize that no good can come of that organization on any level. They drain the resources of the community, country, and world as a whole.

I would encourage everyone to see this movie. It is a real eye opener. Not a thin dime of my money will be spent at that establishment ever again.

Snoogit, I'm going to ask you to do something for me. I would like you to find and watch a documentary entitled: Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices.

I'm serious now....I would really like you to do this for me.

You will never look at that company in the same light ever again, and you will realize that no good can come of that organization on any level. They drain the resources of the community, country, and world as a whole.

I would encourage everyone to see this movie. It is a real eye opener. Not a thin dime of my money will be spent at that establishment ever again.

Then, go rent that movie where the guy eats just Big Macs for thirty days straight :sick:

Archived