malls in metro Flint

MJLO

Are Genesee Valley, and Courtland Center the only malls in Metro Flint?

If so how are they doing? Last I knew Courtland Center was pretty much the "other" mall

and Genesee was where it was at, is that all still the same or has it changed any?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still the same way. Courtland Center has seen some improvements in the past year, making it a little more attractive than it used to be but I don't see it ever surpassing Genesee Valley's popularity.

Anybody notice how quickly Barnes & Noble was built at the Valley? I think I was at the mall one week and didn't really notice much and came back the next week and the store looked finished on the outside. It'll be interesting to see how well "Outdoor Village" works out (I can't believe they're sticking with that name).

yeah but is it an actual indoor shopping center? I've been studying indoor shopping centers, even the ones that are little traveled.

Dort Mall is an indoor mall; I believe it opened in 1964.

Also, don't forget Grand Mall (nee Bella Vista Mall) in Grand Blanc. That's now a strip mall/office complex hybrid; the office part still looks a bit mallish though.

My grandfather was a construction worker on Courtland and Grand Malls, and also on the Hudson's (now Marshall... er, Macy's) at Genesee Valley.

It's still the same way. Courtland Center has seen some improvements in the past year, making it a little more attractive than it used to be but I don't see it ever surpassing Genesee Valley's popularity.

Anybody notice how quickly Barnes & Noble was built at the Valley? I think I was at the mall one week and didn't really notice much and came back the next week and the store looked finished on the outside. It'll be interesting to see how well "Outdoor Village" works out (I can't believe they're sticking with that name).

It was built rather quickly, but the opening has been pushed back from this month to June. B&N and TGI Friday's (that's the correct restuarant that's moving in, right?) are still the only tenants at this point I believe.

I don't know whether you'd count it as being Metro Flint, but there is the Outlet at Birch Run.

true, when i need to go there, i just take Irish Road to Birch Run road, then take that to the mall, it takes like 30 minutes

thats usually the way i take to I-75 when im going up north,too, so i dont have to back track on 69 to get to 75

and just out of curiosity, what ever happened to Pachuco?

MJLO, if you're interested, here is a brief history of Flint's malls.

Courtland Center

Opened in 1968

Was called Eastland Mall until 1987

Original anchor stores: Federal's, Woolco, The Fair, and a drugstore (Cunningham's?)

Theater was added in 1969, closed in the early 1990s, has since re-opened

Federal's closed with the chain in 1977; it became a Robert Hall Village for about a year, and has been a JCPenney since.

Woolco closed with the chain in 1982; it was split between a mall expansion and a small Crowley's.

The Fair closed in the 1980's, and was replaced with Mervyn's (now closed).

JC Penney opened a home store in the old drugstore space, as well as an intimate apparel store in a former clothing storefront.

Crowley's closed in 1999; half the store became an Old Navy in 2000. This Old Navy was very dirty and oversized. In 2003 or so, Old Navy moved into the Mervyn's wing, and in 2005, the old Crowley's was re-divided between Jo-Ann Etc., Staples, and Dunham's Sporting Goods.

Current anchors: JCPenney, Staples, Dunham's, Jo-Ann Etc., JCPenney Home Store

Genesee Valley Center

Opened in 1970

Original anchors: Hudson's, Sears, Woolworth, Hamady

JCPenney wing was added in the late 1980's; Montgomery Ward was added to the JCPenney wing around 1994. (That's right, Monkey Wards lasted about six years!)

Mervyn's wing was added around 1992.

Woolworth closed in 2000; at first, it was split into several stores, but now the former Woolworth space is occupied by Steve & Barry's.

Current anchors: JCPenney, Sears, Marshall Field's/Macy's, Steve & Barry's, future Barnes & Noble

Dort Mall

Opened in 1964

Was built on the site of a drive in theater

Original anchors: Yankee Department Store, and possibly Cunningham's and A & P

A theater was added ca. 1968 and closed in 1983 after a failed attempt at twinning the complex, which resulted in two very long and narrow auditoriums.

Yankee was later bought out by Zody's. When Zody's closed, it was converted into a Sears outlet. When the Sears Outlet closed, it was split between Perani's Hockey World, Bargain Hunterz, a bingo hall, and some other stores. I think the north end of the mall is closed off (where Big Lots is).

Grand Mall

Opened in the 1960's, not sure of exact date

Originally called Bella Vista Mall

Original anchors: Kroger, Smith Bridgman's (remember them?), Sav-Mor Pharmacy, ACE Hardware

According to my mom and my aunt, this mall never had more than a couple stores in it. I'm not sure when it was converted to a strip mall and office space, but it must have been a while ago. Sometime in the 1980's, Kroger swallowed up the pharmacy and ACE Hardware spaces. (ACE moved to a former theater space nearby.) This Kroger has a very odd layout as a result. The inside, while still resembling a mall (sort of), definitely has a different network of hallways than did the original mall. This interior is now office spaces. Check http://grandmalloffice.com

It was built rather quickly, but the opening has been pushed back from this month to June. B&N and TGI Friday's (that's the correct restuarant that's moving in, right?) are still the only tenants at this point I believe.

I don't know whether you'd count it as being Metro Flint, but there is the Outlet at Birch Run.

No it is not TGI Fridays. It is a new to Michigan place called Bar Louie.

There is no way that woolworths lasted til 2000 at Genesee Valley. Plus I believe that Monkey Wards was built in the late 80's.

My 1999 phone book still lists a Woolworth in GVM; I'm assuming it went out in 2000, as that's when the chain went poof.

I have 1986 and 1987 phone books for Flint; neither lists a MW in Genesee Valley. Neither does my 1991 phone book.

Montgomery Ward wasn't at the Valley very long (relatively speaking). I clearly remember it being added as a fifth anchor so it was definitely no sooner than the early 90's. I'm thinking it was around 1995 - about the time I became a mall rat.

My 1999 phone book still lists a Woolworth in GVM; I'm assuming it went out in 2000, as that's when the chain went poof.

I have 1986 and 1987 phone books for Flint; neither lists a MW in Genesee Valley. Neither does my 1991 phone book.

According to the Flint Journal business section from June 15, 2004 "Genesee Valley opened in 1970 and was last renovated in 1987 with the addition of the second-floor food court and the Mervyn's and Montgomery Ward anchor stores". Man am I glad I save newspaper clippings.

Plus once again there is no way Woolworths lasted until 2000. Remember that Walden Books was at that location as well for several years before they closed for the Steve and Barrys

according to wikipedia.

"On July 17, 1997, Woolworth closed the remaining 400 of its F.W. Woolworth five-and-ten-cent stores and changed its name to Venator."

So I am right there is no way it could have lasted until 2000. But, I am positive the one at Genesee Valley closed years before that even.

ok I can't find an exact answer, my Flint friends: Exactly how big is Genesee Valley, I Get rough rounded up #'s when I try to find my answers, Is it Larger than Rivertown Crossings In Grand Rapids, because according to Turnberry associates it would be. But I've been to both malls numerous times, Rivertown Crossings seems bigger, but that doesnt mean that it is.

yeah I read that, but it said approx, 1.3 of retail space, it lists river town crossings as around 1.25 mill. so barring the exact sq footage in the mall, is bigger than the one in GR i'll keep lookin.

Thank you Dtown :)

Archived