Malls in Metro Ann Arbor

MJLO

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey guys doin research, is Briarwood in AA, I'm pretty sure it is, are they any other indoor shopping centers in AA?

There used to be one on Michigan Ave. at US-23 called Arborland Consumer Mall. I don't know that much about it (except that by the early 1990s, it had a LOT of anchors), but it was torn down in the late 1990s for a strip mall.

The galleria was an urban mall on South University across from the towers. It was mutilated badly so that it no longer looks like a mall because it was a super flop. There was a food court on the top level that is now offices. The escelators are closed off. The middle level, or ground level has a couple stores, but the only good ones have street frontage. Most of the rest is service. And then of course, the lower level is Pinball Pete's.

Briarwood, is our primary mall, located on State and Eisenhower.

The mall sign was the only thing that was saved for Arborland Consumer Mall...actually, I think a few other parts of the mall were saved and were integrated into the new strip mall.

Here is the sign:

arborland.jpg

What Arborland looks like now (if you haven't seen it in 8 years).

http://www.lernerheidenberg.com/centers/22/photos.htm

Arborland's sign says "image hosted by Tripod"?! Stupid Tripod, not letting you link directly to images...

Actually, I think the only part recycled from the old Arborland was the Service Merchandise building. The old Arborland had Toys R Us and Marshalls, as does the new property, but I believe that the stores on the new property are newer locations.

In 1991, these were the anchor stores: Marshalls, Toys R Us, Burlington Coat Factory, Crowley's, F & M Drugstore, Linens & Things, Montgomery Ward, and Service Merchandise. They apparently had a food court as well, but I can only find one restaurant that was in it even in 1991.

Arborland's sign says "image hosted by Tripod"?! Stupid Tripod, not letting you link directly to images...

Actually, I think the only part recycled from the old Arborland was the Service Merchandise building. The old Arborland had Toys R Us and Marshalls, as does the new property, but I believe that the stores on the new property are newer locations.

In 1991, these were the anchor stores: Marshalls, Toys R Us, Burlington Coat Factory, Crowley's, F & M Drugstore, Linens & Things, Montgomery Ward, and Service Merchandise. They apparently had a food court as well, but I can only find one restaurant that was in it even in 1991.

Hmm, I thought the office max was part of the original property. I think it's an office max. I figured since it is on the Arborland proper, and is quite dated looking, it was part of the mall.

So why did Arborland fail? Was it because Briarwood was dominating the market?

Additionally, people seem to complain that Briarwood is too small. It is kind of small, but I wondering if that was because of the other malls like Arborland and the Galleria that kept Briarwood at its size. It doesn't even have a food court.

ok this is bothering the ever living poo out of me. How many square feet, is Briarwood mall, I can find a whole bunch of stuff on it, but no statistical datat, Other than it has 130 stores. What is the actual square footage on the mall. I've been looking for over an hour now and I got nothin! maybe one of you could have more luck.

ok this is bothering the ever living poo out of me. How many square feet, is Briarwood mall, I can find a whole bunch of stuff on it, but no statistical datat, Other than it has 130 stores. What is the actual square footage on the mall. I've been looking for over an hour now and I got nothin! maybe one of you could have more luck.

1 million SF according to millscorporation.com . I did find it odd that Briarwood lacks a food court.

Archived