malls in Lansing

MJLO

Is it Galyon's? I haven't been out to the Meridian in quite a long time, though I drive by, sometime. I take it Hammer hasn't been by since the renovation?

I believe I acknowledged GalyAn's being renamed Dick's. And I forgot that Younkers is two story. The last time I was there was just after Mervyn's closed; about a month ago I think.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sears is mis-labeled in that pic - Sears is really the HUGE building at the back. Also, Big Lots and Office Depot no longer exist. (Note, too, that they call US-127 "M-127". Here's a site plan (facing the opposite direction from the photo): http://www.lormaxstern.com/pics/info/frandor_site.pdf

I think the enclosed portion was in the middle, making the property shaped like an H. It looks like there is still a small enclosed portion near CompUSA.

frandor.jpg

Actually, Frandor was shaped like a letter "T". About where Big Lots is located in the above picture, there was a wing that stuck out to the West going toward the Kroger. Between the Kroger and the end of the "T" was a section that traffic could drive through, with I believe a roof over it. The whole CompUSA to OfficeDepot section did not exist at all, except for Krogers. It was a weird indoor mall, in that it was an old strip mall that had the front walkways enclosed in sort of a "Burger King sunroom" fashion, with only stores on one side. It was also pieced together in a half-assed kind of way when you went out into the "T" part, with uneven floors with ramps to each and cheap indoor/outdoor carpet. Very much work of the 70's. :sick: I remember it had a great Pinball Pete's arcade that we used to frequent when I was a teen, as well as a very popular Community Newscenter. There was also a Gumball Rally near where Marshall Music is, which was a Chuck E Cheese knockoff.

There used to be a great Art Deco Frandor sign out at Saginaw, but I'm not sure if it's there anymore. I too had always heard it was THE first mall in the country :dontknow: Boy, I feel like such an old guy :P

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Frandor might quite possibly be the biggest dump of a shopping center in Mid-Michigan. It should be blighted and dozed to construct something more attractive. It's depressing to shop there. You'd understand if you lived in East Lansing nowadays.

I think that's probably a bit strong--it's far from the worst, but I totally agree that it could be so much better. The shops themselves aren't all that bad--it's the layout and the actual infrastructure that is just...blah. But I do have to say, when it was enclosed at least it was interesting. The ramps and uneven surface made every shopping trip an adventure and challenge. Now it's just depressing suburban/urban shopping, but of the kind that is quickly falling out of favor IMO. For some reason it makes me feel like I'm in a smaller, less cosmopolitan (yes, less than lansing) city, like it's just out of place in Lansing. Then again, it meets needs and the shops as I said are just fine. If they even just redid it to mimic Eastwood, with landscaping etc. it would be worlds better. The first thing you notice about Frandor is "my, what a desolate, depressing, and mahoosive parking lot..."

oh and I forgot...what was that store that sold nuts and coffee that always made that corridor smell so nice when it was enclosed? That was always my favourite part of going to Frandor as a kid. They should just artificially pump that smell into the parking lot... instant brilliant shopping experience. :)

I think some landscaping the parking lot, and some creative streetlighting, and other interesting little things could be done to make the center look and feel better. I probably go to Frandor more than any other mall for day-to-day things. It serves a different purpose than Eastwood, Lansing or Meridian, and a little sprucing up could go a long way. I, for one, like the place, and judging by how parked the parking lot is whenever I'm there, many other people seem to prefer it, too.

• 1 month later...

Oh, man- I remember that Frandor "Center Court," which wasn't really in the exact center of the place. I believe it was surrounded by Cobbler's Bench, a magic shop, Baskin-Robbins and some jewelery store.

I spent something like 10 hours there holding a Pepsi can for some radio contest in 1989.

• 2 years later...

We'll never see a new mall like Lansing or Meridian unless it's a replacement. I think we'll see lifestyle centers replace strip malls in the long term and we may see a major overhaul or replacement of the Lansing Mall. Also if Meridian Mall expands again their going to have to get creative because they can't afford to lose ANY parking.

We'll never see a new mall like Lansing or Meridian unless it's a replacement. I think we'll see lifestyle centers replace strip malls in the long term and we may see a major overhaul or replacement of the Lansing Mall. Also if Meridian Mall expands again their going to have to get creative because they can't afford to lose ANY parking.

Well, "strip mall" describes a linear retail building, usually built parallel to a street. A "lifestyle center" usually has a central pedestrian square surrounded by parking and shops. Lifestyles centers are glorified open-air malls. The concepts are different, though, both are highly auto-oriented. Eastwood's not so bad, though, when you compare it to the parking Walmart and Sam's Club have just across the street. But, from what I've seen of Lansing Township's masterplan, as the area densifies, they can convert some of the surface lots to small parking garages which would consolidate parking and open up the remaining parking lands up for other usages.

Two examples of proposed lifestyle centers that will actually be lifestyle centers are the East Village development in EL and the Whitehills Towncenter in EL/Bath. They will both have street front retail with multiple floors of residential above, park space and condensed/underground parking.

A good, but small current example is Gaslight Village in East GR.

Archived