West Asheville developments

orulz

There's an article in today's C-T about a project at 919 Haywood Road. The developers purchasing the 3-acre property from St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church have approached the community ahead of time to find out what they'd like to see happen on this project, in hopes of circumventing nimbyism. If you check the attached PDF file, there are some conceptual renderings. They're thinking about a 4-story mixed use building fronting Haywood with some other, smaller stuff behind it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at this map, it seems like this is pretty far removed from the urban area of Haywood Road. Although I'd prefer to see it connect more directly, its still really exciting -- maybe this will be the begining of an extension of the area's 'downtown' strip.

Its really good to here about developer interest in West Asheville -- I've wondered how long it would take before that area saw some new construction. Hopefully, with downtown Asheville acting as the local urban prestige address, Haywood road can continue to serve as a more affordable urban alternative.

Looking at this map, it seems like this is pretty far removed from the urban area of Haywood Road. Although I'd prefer to see it connect more directly, its still really exciting -- maybe this will be the begining of an extension of the area's 'downtown' strip.
It is a little bit removed from the center of things, but it's really not that far out. It's about a quarter mile west of the Bledsoe Building, for example. But you're right - this should be a great opportunity to extend the retail core of Haywood.

Its really good to here about developer interest in West Asheville -- I've wondered how long it would take before that area saw some new construction. Hopefully, with downtown Asheville acting as the local urban prestige address, Haywood road can continue to serve as a more affordable urban alternative.
You're exactly right. I see Downtown heading upscale with an increasing fervor, and there's little that can be done to stop the process at this point. I only hope that it stops short of becoming merely a tourist's playground. I think the opportunity for a colorful, more affordable urban environment is greatest on Haywood and in the River District.

• 6 months later...

YES! this is what i'm talking about. this project looks wonderful.... it looks "asheville". the design team has done their homework to make this project very livable and cohesive.... and it looks great. also, judging form the slide show they have put together... they seem very down to earth - the kind of people i'd like to have a drink with.

HERE'S TO MUCH SUCCESS!

• 7 months later...

Noticed this and several other interesting projects on today's TRC agenda.

5. Pre-application conference for the project identified as Park Side Condominiums located on South Spruce Street and

Marjorie Street.

• 1 month later...

There is an article in the C-T about this project today: Mixed-use space planned for West Asheville church site

Demolition began recently, and the project's web page will go up soon: www.thevillageonhaywood.com. I preferred the old name "919 Haywood" over "The Village on Haywood" and it seems the plans have changed a bit (3 buildings fronting Haywood rather than 2) but hopefully the project will retain its urban flair and extend the commercial district of Haywood Road further west.

• 1 year later...

Any construction here yet?

West Asheville is pretty cool. It's obviously gentrified a lot compared with 10 or even 5 years ago but it's still pretty much a working class neighborhood. I wonder how developments like this will affect things. Hopefully it can keep some of its character as a working class neighborhood with homes more affordable than most other in-town neighborhoods.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This little guy slipped by under my radar, but it's a neat little project near the corner of Sulphur Springs and Haywood, pretty much across the street from the Village on Haywood. The plan is for 27 units in a 3-story building (4 including the basement) on 0.84 acres on the south side of Sulphur Springs Road.

See the site plan and elevations on the Development Mapper.

This seems like another nice project to add density to West Asheville.

On the subject of West Asheville, is the Village on Haywood between Blue Ridge and Mitchell actually under construction? There was some hoopla with the mayor participating in a groundbreaking ceremony or something but I really just don't know if it's actually underway or not.

On the subject of West Asheville, is the Village on Haywood between Blue Ridge and Mitchell actually under construction? There was some hoopla with the mayor participating in a groundbreaking ceremony or something but I really just don't know if it's actually underway or not.

The last time I had occasion to drive by the construction site, I did so at night earlier this month. A bulldozer with its headlights on was trundling back and forth across the dirt while some guys in hardhats conferred close to the road.

Make of that what you will.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

According to the C-T 22 Sulphur Springs is going full tilt. The goat house is demolished and they're recycling as many materials as possible. 23 out of 27 units have already sold.

And from the "Why the f**k can't they build something like this in Raleigh" department:

... 27 condominiums

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been down that way twice in the past week and it looks dead. Construction still on? Looked empty, even during the day.

Do you mean construction has stalled on the "Village on Haywood" or do you mean the one on Sulphur Springs is dead after the demolition?

For Village on Haywood I would be surprised that they wouldn't at least finish the first building given that it's just 3 stories and it's stick built.

As for Sulphur Springs, that just showed up on Bidclerk. Estimated start date for construction is Spring 2010. It's probably still going through the permitting process. They probably had to move fast on demolishing the house because it was condemned.

Do you mean construction has stalled on the "Village on Haywood" or do you mean the one on Sulphur Springs is dead after the demolition?

For Village on Haywood I would be surprised that they wouldn't at least finish the first building given that it's just 3 stories and it's stick built.

As for Sulphur Springs, that just showed up on Bidclerk. Estimated start date for construction is Spring 2010. It's probably still going through the permitting process. They probably had to move fast on demolishing the house because it was condemned.

Village. SS I didn't even notice although I should have as I was behind someone who wouldn't pass a bicyclist. Ah, tourist season.

• 3 years later...

Looks like a developer is looking to continue the build out of Village on Haywood, which stalled after the first building was completed. The site plan is up on Development Mapper. It is not the exact same plan as before. The focus will be apartments instead of condos, there will be two buildings fronting Haywood instead of three, and the Haywood frontage will have more Live/Work units and fewer dedicated retail spaces. In spite of these changes, it is very similar in scope and form to the original plan.

Archived