Is Fayetteville ready for a new subforum?

Jerseyman4

Is the "ville" ready for a new subforum? It would comprise of Fayetteville/Cumberland County and the nearby counties (Hoke, Bladen, Harnett, Sampson, Moore, Robeson). The main focus of a new subforum could be the continious unchecked sprawl, annexation issues, future I-295, the closing of Pope AFB (its effects on the local economy), the progress of revitalizing downtown Fayetteville and crime (to an extent) are just some i can come up with.

What do you all think?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the ville could support one, but in order to have good traffic I would make it an east carolina subforum. Alot of threads about Greenville, Wilmington and some other eastern towns are begaining to pop up more and more. Or as someone else mention, merge fayetteville with the triangle. A eastern forum could still work like that as well.

How about a Sandhills-Fayetteville forum?

That actually may be a good idea.

I see quite a bit of talk on here about those areas........Pinehurst/Southern Pines and the Fayetteville areas.

It seems that there are more people from those areas posting on here.

I don't know if it would be busy enough for it's own forum though. :unsure:

Between Pinehurst and Fayetteville is a 40 mile distance and they both dont have anything in common except if you live in the eastern end of Southern Pines, you occasionally hear practice bombs being dropped in the inhabitable western extents of Fort Bragg. Urbanism would not be in the minds of anybody in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area either but Fayetteville, that is a different story. High rises and urbanism could be in teh works for the future of downtown Fayetteville, mayyyybeeeeee.

If a Fayetteville subforum was started, i would not add the Sandhills into it. Fayetteville & Cumberland County is more appropiate. It shuold not be included in the Raleigh forum or Wilmington forum. It needs to be its own entity if it were to be started. If theres a lack of support for one, let it remain in the general NC forum until more posters are from Fayetteville. I certainly cant take on Fayettteville on my own, im not there anymore :)

Between Pinehurst and Fayetteville is a 40 mile distance and they both dont have anything in common except if you live in the eastern end of Southern Pines, you occasionally hear practice bombs being dropped in the inhabitable western extents of Fort Bragg. Urbanism would not be in the minds of anybody in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area either but Fayetteville, that is a different story. High rises and urbanism could be in teh works for the future of downtown Fayetteville, mayyyybeeeeee.

If a Fayetteville subforum was started, i would not add the Sandhills into it. Fayetteville & Cumberland County is more appropiate. It shuold not be included in the Raleigh forum or Wilmington forum. It needs to be its own entity if it were to be started. If theres a lack of support for one, let it remain in the general NC forum until more posters are from Fayetteville. I certainly cant take on Fayettteville on my own, im not there anymore :)

Actually you were one of the posters that I was referring to. You contribute more than every one else on these areas. :)

But, like you said, the Sandhills and Fayetteville areas are very different from each other even though they are somewhat close together.

The Sandhills area is very well manicured, and very resort-like. There are many old, rich retirees in the Sandhills. It is like our little piece of Florida. :rofl:

The Fayetteville area is admittedly not nearly as attractive with it's ugly sprawl and military presence. But, at least the city is cleaning itself up. :)

I guess just posting in the general NC forum for these places is good for now.

Actually you were one of the posters that I was referring to. You contribute more than every one else on these areas. :)

But, like you said, the Sandhills and Fayetteville areas are very different from each other even though they are somewhat close together.

The Sandhills area is very well manicured, and very resort-like. There are many old, rich retirees in the Sandhills. It is like our little piece of Florida. :rofl:

The Fayetteville area is admittedly not nearly as attractive with it's ugly sprawl and military presence. But, at least the city is cleaning itself up. :)

I guess just posting in the general NC forum for these places is good for now.

Whats wrong with a military presence. As far as I'm concerned it is a big part of Fayettevilles history. Remember the Army has been in this part of the state since civil war times and there no reason to turn its back or make excuses for it. Making the ultimate sacrifice wether its right or wrong in the name of your country should never be disrespected. OK now I'm off my soapbox...sprawl is a common term thrown around and to be honest what southern city does not suffer from it. Fayetteville is not an urban oasis but it has just as much history and potential as any NC city.

Oh yeah I though I would take it back a couple of decades and see if anybody remebers the Capitol department store downtown. My mother bought my first school picture outfit(that I can remember) from there. This was before the renewal efforts to clean up downtown and Hay street.

Whats wrong with a military presence. As far as I'm concerned it is a big part of Fayettevilles history. Remember the Army has been in this part of the state since civil war times and there no reason to turn its back or make excuses for it. Making the ultimate sacrifice wether its right or wrong in the name of your country should never be disrespected. OK now I'm off my soapbox...sprawl is a common term thrown around and to be honest what southern city does not suffer from it. Fayetteville is not an urban oasis but it has just as much history and potential as any NC city.

Well, I didn't really mean to pick on Fayetteville's military presence. But that military presence is the reason why all of those ugly strip clubs, tatoo and pawn shops are all around Murchison and Bragg Boulevard. It does make it seem "trashy". Plus, the sprawl there is uglier than the worst sprawl in Greensboro, etc.

I did say that Fayetteville is working very hard on cleaning their image up.

I don't really mind the strip clubs, tatoo and pawn shops, but I wish it was done in a much more attractive way.

And as I have said before, downtown Fayetteville is actually very quaint and nice. :)

My mom used to buy all my clothes from the Capitol Department Store. I used to love the grand staircase and that little restaurant on the second floor. The building is currently undergoing renovations. I believe a local doctor is planning on turning it into a family entertainment complex. The complex sounds like it might be pretty nice. I believe there is supposed to be a sports bar/restaurant, small bowling alley, etc. I think the second floor will be for offices- not sure though. There are several other developments either in progress or being planned. I think Downtown Fayetteville is improving tremendously, especially if you compare it to the late 70s-mid 90s.

Yeah once they started tearing down a lot of stuff I did not think downtown would make a comeback ever. It looked like a war zone down there in the late 80's. I can't remember exactly when the city put the cobblestones back on the streets but my mom took me down there when it was completed. Since all of the cleanup efforts are going on I wonder if some downtown housing is in the works. I would love to see some rowhouses down there. Maybe all of this intrest in downtown will generate a need for anoter tower. Nothing spectacular but something noticable. I always wanted all of the midrises out by the mall to have been built downtown.

It's funny you mention downtown housing, they are working on a plan to actually build houses between Person Street and Grove Street. I am unsure of the number, but they will line Cross Creek. There are also plans to tear down Grove View Terrace. Currently there are plans of building possibly mid-rise condos along the Cape Fear River (very early stages). They are working on plans for proper development along the Cape Fear River including the possibility of creating a River Walk. I hope things work out. There have been rumors of some type of high rise along Russell Street - I have heard between 12 and 15 stories. Of course no one will confirm, which is supposed to include offices and condos. There are a lot of plans for apartments above the buildings being renovated along Hay Street and the renovations are starting to spill over to the side streets. The central area around the Market House is now considered Historic Downtown Fayetteville - which they hope to turn into an Arts District. The Fayetteville Museum of Art is moving downtown, and a new Transportation Museum is supposed to open in May. I have heard of several other museums coming - so we will have to see. They are finishing up road work on a new Business Park Downtown. I think things are shaping up nicely.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived