Signature Tower

NewTowner

Well as the info trickles in, I am burgeoning with more excitment. This is a fine example of what to do in a large tower. I just hope those clowns in Louisville with Museum Plaza were watching. This is the example to follow in my humble opinion.

William, I can see the concern with MDHA, but honestly. Will it be that out of place with the other talls coming on line later this year and next perhaps? OR.....will that forsight not figure into the decision making process at all?

There you go, Lexy. This is a decent looking building that is designed for the role it will play. It is primarily a residential tower which will have no problem selling its units. And it will be noted for its height in relation to the rest of the Southeast and really the rest of the country outside of the Windy and the Apple. But that is it.

This building takes NO risks (nor should with the role it is designed to play). It will NOT bring tourists into Nashville (not that Nashville requires more than it has to fulfill this mission). And really, it will turn NO heads in architectural circles (not that all of Museum Plaza's critiques have been positive).

These two buildings have been designed for far different goals in far different cities. You can say the MP guys are clowns all you want (simplistic view), while it's really just a matter of different tastes for different designs for different reasons. You can have your modern country. I'll take my modern art.

BTW, I'm excited about the Signature Tower. I'm not as excited about it as the MP, but I'm happy it's getting done. I'm just more thrilled when these "clowns" take some risk.

I wonder, Lexy, when a modern art museum gets designed for Nashville if you'll be excited about it. God forbid, its plans might be a little out of the ordinary. But I'm sure we could agree that anything is better than more Cool Springs development.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went in around 7:30 (I misread the invite) amd Tony and hs staff were more than gracious. There were still several people mingling around and you could see the excitement on Tony's face. This is a dream come true for Tony, total vindication of his vision. I am just glad he is bringing Nashville along for the ride.

oh and I am drunk as hell...whooooo!!!!

There you go, Lexy. This is a decent looking building that is designed for the role it will play. It is primarily a residential tower which will have no problem selling its units. And it will be noted for its height in relation to the rest of the Southeast and really the rest of the country outside of the Windy and the Apple. But that is it.

This building takes NO risks (nor should with the role it is designed to play). It will NOT bring tourists into Nashville (not that Nashville requires more than it has to fulfill this mission). And really, it will turn NO heads in architectural circles (not that all of Museum Plaza's critiques have been positive).

These two buildings have been designed for far different goals in far different cities. You can say the MP guys are clowns all you want (simplistic view), while it's really just a matter of different tastes for different designs for different reasons. You can have your modern country. I'll take my modern art.

BTW, I'm excited about the Signature Tower. I'm not as excited about it as the MP, but I'm happy it's getting done. I'm just more thrilled when these "clowns" take some risk.

I wonder, Lexy, when a modern art museum gets designed for Nashville if you'll be excited about it. God forbid, its plans might be a little out of the ordinary. But I'm sure we could agree that anything is better than more Cool Springs development.

Let's not forget that the first and foremost useage of MP is residential. The museum is the added bonus of some crazy-minded "skylobby". The arguments can go either way, but 40 years from now, which tower will be better looked at as defining a period in time for a city? MP or Signature Tower? The choice is clear if history is any indication as to what the future will be. Different strokes for different folks I guess, LOL!!! Agree to disagree (somewhat)?

I will be excitied about a "modern" museum in Nashville, but will I fall over my doorstep to go to see it? Probably not. That isn't my thing though. To me, art is what you make of it and how "it" is perceived by ones self. Not by being the most bold, flamboyant, and out of place thing in the skyline. Show me how the base of MP works for the better good of pedestrians and I may cut it some slack. Otherwise......well nevermind. It's late and my brain hurts. LOL!!!

What a party! I actually got to shake hands with Tony! I was so nervous I was babbling incoherently, but I finally got ahold of my speech and told him I was Claws on the Urban Planet forum. He's a great guy. I also met William Williams for the first time (who I consider to be a Nashville celebrity), also a great guy. At the end they gave us boxes containing factsheets and pictures of all of the floorplans.

Now, though, I'm a little scared. What if MDHA screws everything up?

I just got back from a week in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe AZ and I just had to drive by and see the model. I got there about 7:15 or so and I just looked in the window. It is quite impressive. I think Tony will get his 5 votes. I am going to be 46-47 by the time this beauty is completed, so I am not going to wish the next 3 or 4 years away! I am not ready to push 50 yet!

West End Summit, Terazzo, Icon, Encore, West End, Suntrust Plaza, MTA City Center, The new Federal Courthouse, The unamed sliver building, Adelicia one and possibly two, and so many other projects are going to break ground and be completed before this building is finished. By then we should also see the new Sounds Stadium, Schermerhorn, Hampton finished.

The key here is patience.

Phoenix with 3.1 million people in it's msa, is a lot larger than Nashville, but the skyline is rather small for a city it's size. Our Downtown and Midtown are about the same, if not a little larger than Phoenix. What they really focus on is the natural environment. They have no billboards, and all buildings must reflect the natural landscape. Even McDonalds had very nice buildings that reflected the natural surroundings. Remember, this is Frank Lloyd Wright country. The only drawback is the amount of cars. It is not too pedestrian friendly unless you are in the residential desert areas. Frank LLoyd Wright did not like a built environment that did not put nature first.

There is about 200-250 square miles of urban sprawl meaning that 50 or more miles in any direction is made up of the built environment sandwiched in the valley inside the mountains. The lack of high rises makes it possible to actually see 20 or more miles away! It is almost impossible to get lost.

Coming back to Nashville really shows how different parts of this country are. The 3.1 million people of the Phoenix area would not allow a 1047 foot building block the view of a scenic mountain!

I love the idea of Signature Tower, but let us not forget the beauty of the green valley that Nashville sets in. I hope that with all of these projects, we add some greenery and beautiful landscaping to our new urban projects. This is a lesson that Atlanta is learning. With all of the mega towers they are building, they have forgotten the pedestrian and the natural environment.

Well there's the ugly girl you slept with last night that looked so good at 10pm. LOL!!!

We will just have to wait and see. I think it could go either way with them (MDHA), but only time will tell. If Tony and his crew can give a convincing argument for the tower the way it is, it's a shoe in. But if they falter and fail to mention the newer developments that will compliment the height of this tower just down the street from it, they could have a small problem. I think it will be fine.

Good post doorman. Very insightful.

OK, enough celebrating. Here are my pics.

DSCN3389.jpg

DSCN3386.jpg

DSCN3356.jpg

DSCN3358.jpg

Residential entrance on Church.

DSCN3360.jpg

Hotel entrance on 5th.

DSCN3370.jpg

DSCN3376.jpg

DSCN3379.jpg

"Dog run" seems to be far enough away from the pool... I hope :blink:

DSCN3383.jpg

These fins are designed to catch air for a cooling system. How's that for energy efficient?

DSCN3359.jpg

Jewel beacon at top of spire.

DSCN3381.jpg

The man making it all possible: Tony Giarratana. (Far right)

DSCN3364.jpg

Again, it was a fascinating evening. We are EXTREMELY lucky to have Tony in Nashville. We would be another 10yrs behind if not for his vision.

Hankster, I have the building sections I can post if you don't have them already or if anyone else wants them. Wish you could have been there man.

What a party! I actually got to shake hands with Tony! I was so nervous I was babbling incoherently, but I finally got ahold of my speech and told him I was Claws on the Urban Planet forum. He's a great guy. I also met William Williams for the first time (who I consider to be a Nashville celebrity), also a great guy. At the end they gave us boxes containing factsheets and pictures of all of the floorplans.

Hey Claws, which one were you? I was the one with a white shirt and blue tie snapping 100 pics drooling all over the model like a total dork...I mean geek.

I was the tall teenager with the striped blue button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up and the black hair. I was mostly standing around Tony and hanging on his every word. Did you have a suit on?

Friends,

Three things:

1. Claws has refrerred to me as a "Nashville celebrity." Very humbling. I met Claws and appreciate his introducing himself. Good to have a young "built environment geek" contributing to the forum. Stay with us, Claws. And I apologize to Skyscrapergeek for not saying hello. Skyscrapergeek was consumed with the model of Sig T and I was rushed.

2. The Doorman made a good post regarding how MDHA will have to seriously consider the magnitude of this project and, as such, should be very wary of rejecting its height. On that note, I really believe Tony will make Sig T happen regardless of height. But 1,047 would shed lots of national attention on Nashville. MDHA knows this. They are not studpid. National attention means power players moving to our city. This, in turn, means people living here who can make things happen. It's huge.

3. We'll know soon how this pans out. Tony is on a timetable and must move forward. On that note, Encore is VERY close to groundbreaking.

WW

I don't know how many people realized this but at 1047 feet. The signature tower would be the tallest building in the south and the tallest of any state capitol......GO Sig...

I forgot to mention , the sig would be the number 5 tallest in the US. and the 21 or 22 in the world,, come on Nashville lets get it done!!!!!

I think it's interesting that there is absolutely no mention of the tower in today's tennessean (at least the online edition). Surely something of this magnitude that will affect the city so much deserves mention (didn't the west end summit get a front page spread?).

I don't think the media knows about it. Outside of our very own William Williams, who else was there? I didnt' see anything on TV about it last night. You know, that could be a good thing though.

I don't think they do either Lexy. It seemed that this was much more of a party celebrating the tower and catering to potential buyers than for generating publicity as before. I asked Tony if there was anything he wanted kept quiet and he said no, that they we're pretty much out in the open at this point. It's impressive how well organized and focused Tony's team is, not to mention their love for their work.

since I missed the min presentation can someone let me know what was said about the retail component? The new renderings seem to minimize this especially any grocery.

Thanks

Archived