Signature Tower

NewTowner

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just seen the latest builds, and the Signature Tower is looking much better than it did before.

The entire structure has been given some entasis in the simplest possible fashion, in that it draws in upon itself as it ascends, breaking up the sense of dead weight and giving the "lotus flower" crown an actual aesthetic purpose. It now visually functions much more like a column-and-capital, rather than an illustrious and shimmering aluminum-fencepost-and-Burger-King-sack.

In a word or two: Art Deco. What I mean is, while the Signature Tower is still motion-streamlined and committed to machinism (a weakness), it also possesses the compromise with classicism that almost all good Art Deco possessed, in that it contains elements which are human-scaled, enough detail to satisfy the human eye/brain combo, and an organic lilt that gives the building a head and body. Like organic systems and all good buildings, it has a bottom, middle, and top...which rocks, and marks a HUGE improvement over the previous bottomless corporate rock-candy blob that Signature Tower used to be at street level. Some talented people have made some big adjustments, and it shows.

It is very tall, which delivers some mixed feelings into my heart, but whatever. I won't be paying the cooling costs on this joker, or the Exterior Tolerability electric bill. Somebody posted something earlier to the effect that "skyscrapers are more energy efficient than midrises," but I don't think a sane person could even glance at these renderings and still assert that Bologne Hogwash with a straight face...but whatever. Whatever, and stuff.

The Signature Tower might still need a new name, but at least the ground floor is now articulate and not as stupid as it used to be. There is actually a rather compelling interplay between horizontal and vertical elements, which are mostly impressive because they reveal a self-conscious internal attempt at mitigating the building's own overbearing height...and I think they will achieve some measure of success, particularly when it is raining and you are walking home from NewTowner's new downtown pub. It offers covering shelter to the passerby and resident. In other words, some good old-fashioned (GOF) common sense has been applied, and it is welcome.

Welcome, I tell you.

How tall is tall? Taller than original? How many floors?

Yeah, you can't leave us hanging like that! We NEED to know.

Well, just using my pencil to count the stories: it looks like 60, plus the sizable crown/spire. The bottom portion, above which the building is nicely set back a bit, is about 13 stories. That's the part that counts once you are 500 yards or less from the building.

I was previously told it would approach 70 stories, so I am just confused and concerned enough to slightly furrow my brow for about three seconds, and then my attention returns to the ground floor...where the real action is.

Well, just using my pencil to count the stories: it looks like 60, plus the sizable crown/spire. The bottom portion, after which the building is nicely set back a bit, is about 13 stories. That's the part that counts once you are 500 yards or less from the building.

I was previously told it would approach 70 stories, so I am just confused and concerned enough to slightly furrow my brow for about three seconds, and then my attention returns to the ground floor...where the real action is.

Some of us are going to be headed for the nervous hospital if we don't see those renderings tout de suite. :blink:

Well, just using my pencil to count the stories: it looks like 60, plus the sizable crown/spire. The bottom portion, above which the building is nicely set back a bit, is about 13 stories. That's the part that counts once you are 500 yards or less from the building.

That is basically the same number I counted when Tony showed a rendering of the tower to the forum group in March. I think the 70 story rumor is nothing but a rumor with no validity to it. I'm expecting 60 now. That's an awesome number, and the tower would be at least 900 Ft tall if that is correct. The news about the improvements at street level are wonderful. I'm hoping that this tower is the best that it can be, because no other project in Nashville will get the attention that this one will.

The final height is not that much of a concern to me as much as the start date to see that old surface parking lot go. I think another tall tower will follow. Jacksonville, Charlotte, Orlando etc... are experiencing the same thing. So many people at my hotel are impressed with Viridian. They are gonna freak when they see the Sig. Tower!

According to the bidclerk site, the Signature tower is still at 55 stories but 750 units. The bid was updated yesterday. I dont remember if this was just a repeat of an old bid or if it is a new one. Someone may be able to remember for me.

I'm still expecting more than 55. I think they are being very careful not to let the "cat out of the bag" on the project height until the major annoucement is made, and think they purposely underreported the project height on bidclerk. Remember what William said about Doormanpoet's likely heart condition after the announcement.

I'm still expecting more than 55. I think they are being very careful not to let the "cat out of the bag" on the project height until the major annoucement is made, and think they purposely underreported the project height on bidclerk. Remember what William said about Doormanpoet's likely heart condition after the announcement.

The National Real Estate Investor Magazine for April reported 65 stories. Probably a typo.

Is it possible that this article has actually let the proverbial "cat out of the bag" concerning Signature Tower?

The article say this:

Signature Tower

A 65-story residential, retail and hotel tower. Current plans call for 400 condominiums.

Cost: $200 million

Developer: Tony Giarratana

Completion: December 2009

Maybe the rumors of a "W" Hotel are true. 65 stories means 950 - 970 feet high, assuming no architectural changes in the spire. Of course, it may be a misprint. But, 65 stories is printed in the article twice, not once. Mmmmmm. :shades:

Man, does anybody know for certain when we are going to find out about this? I can't wait for all of the rumors and speculation to be over with. I am REALLY looking forward to seing a picture of the model when it is unveiled. I also hope that the Signature Tower website will be updated as well with new renderings and floor plans. What an exciting time for Nashville! :yahoo:

Is it possible that this article has actually let the proverbial "cat out of the bag" concerning Signature Tower?

The article say this:

Signature Tower

A 65-story residential, retail and hotel tower. Current plans call for 400 condominiums.

Cost: $200 million

Developer: Tony Giarratana

Completion: December 2009

Maybe the rumors of a "W" Hotel are true. 65 stories means 950 - 970 feet high, assuming no architectural changes in the spire. Of course, it may be a misprint. But, 65 stories is printed in the article twice, not once. Mmmmmm. :shades:

Interesting you should mention that Hankster. I was just talking about this article with another skyscrapergeek friend of mine. We were wondering about a possible misprint but he brought up the point that there are a lot of seemingly researched numbers in this article. Not that it is impossible but it maybe unlikely that the info is incorrect. I personally don't know what to think anymore but this has the feeling of accuracy. I think... :blink:

Man, does anybody know for certain when we are going to find out about this? I can't wait for all of the rumors and speculation to be over with. I am REALLY looking forward to seing a picture of the model when it is unveiled. I also hope that the Signature Tower website will be updated as well with new renderings and floor plans. What an exciting time for Nashville! :yahoo:

I'm with you bruceman. I really think my head is going to explode. Where's my duct tape? :w00t:

Have you thought of the possibility that Tony has another tower in the works besides Signature (viridian and encore)? If I'm not mistaken, he owns that property in the gulch b/n Church and Charlotte. Hmmmm.

Now see, there you go Brain. Just when I get calmed down you have to remind me that Tony could easily be planning the next big thing. I'm gonna need more tape.:D

Have you thought of the possibility that Tony has another tower in the works besides Signature (viridian and encore)? If I'm not mistaken, he owns that property in the gulch b/n Church and Charlotte. Hmmmm.

I can't believe that this is my 1000th post. Here goes. There's too many rumors flying around linking Tony G. with a hotel. There must be something to it. Based on all the rumors and the NREI article, I've got to believe in the 65 story, Hotel / Retail / Residential project for the Sig Tower. I'm still thinking Tony won't start his next project until after Sig breaks ground. Having said all that, maybe Signature Tower is a 60 story all residential project, and "W" is talking to Tony about using his other site for a hotel project. If I had to give odds on the two scenarios, I'd say the hotel being a part of Signature tower would be much higher. The waiting is very, very difficult. After all, this will only be far and away the most important skyscraper announcement in Nashville's history. Thank goodness, the wait is only about two more weeks.

If the units are down to 400 now, then there's over 100 less than he was originally planning. That, plus a few extra could easily form a good size (at least 20 stories) tower at his other site. I can't wait!

I didn't think of it that way. If Tony only has to sell 400 residential units at Signature Tower, he almost certainly will be able to get started on his next residential tower sooner. Besides, he may have more than 400 people seriously interested in Signature by now. Wow!

Archived