Signature Tower

NewTowner

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I would post the cool picture I found on another site of the Hotel Palomar in San Francisco, since it's coming to the Signature Tower project. You can tell that Hotel Palomar is very classy.

Incidentally, the SF Palomar is home to one of the city's great restaraunts (in fact, for a time, one of the country's leading restaurants), the Fifth Floor. I have had two really spectacular dinners there.

This is a very attractive block, although if you look carefully you realize that's it a not so picturesque Old Navy on the first floor of the hotel and the surrounding block (on Market Street) is a little seedy.

What a beautiful mid-rise street! What I'd give for something like that in Nashville.

Apparently the Signature is having to go through a few design changes to accomodate the Kimpton Hotel, as the developers were initially expecting a different hotel to go in (no Wonder). I don't know how much of the exterior will be affected, if at all...it might just amount to "space management" on the ground floor interior.

But everything I am told about this project amounts to it being solidly "for real". No worries, skyscraper fans!

I'm just glad it's not going in SoBro, and I think that the BBS fellows currently trying to shove a tower into the Schermerhorn at ramming speed should see the photograph above.

How bout we take both your legs and we will give you some mid rise density like that. :lol: Just kidding NT. I do like the look of the street. It reminds me of some of the older cities I visited when I was a kid. We have lost a lot of our older buildings and it is a shame and now it is too late for them. I agree that we do need more mid rise for density in Nashville. I am afraid that mid rise to some are one story buildings. I dont want to feel as if I am at Disney World. I would say the best bet for mid rise density would be north of DT in the Capital Mall are and on the East Bank.

HotelPalomar.jpg

What a beautiful mid-rise street! What I'd give for something like that in Nashville.

Apparently the Signature is having to go through a few design changes to accomodate the Kimpton Hotel, as the developers were initially expecting a different hotel to go in (no Wonder). I don't know how much of the exterior will be affected, if at all...it might just amount to "space management" on the ground floor interior.

But everything I am told about this project amounts to it being solidly "for real". No worries, skyscraper fans!

I'm just glad it's not going in SoBro, and I think that the BBS fellows currently trying to shove a tower into the Schermerhorn at ramming speed should see the photograph above.

NewTowner,

I agree with you 100%. I'd love to see the street that the Schermerhorn sits on looking like this. I think this sort of architecture would really suit it. It'd be great if the stadium were in the same architectural family (in the same way that Soldier Field fits in with the museums on the museum campus in Chicago). But it seems that they are going to be going for the "urban/warehouse/industrial" look. I do like modern (and Classical, and all styles in between... well.. most ....), but I think the "urban/warehouse/industrial" look is what the Gulch is doing... I don't see how it will fit in on the same street as the Symphony center. Anyways... a street like that would be AWESOME... especially if they kept the colors (love the light green on that old building), and not all limestone colored.. which gets really boring really fast... as I've said a gazilion times before... Nashville could use some color!! I also love all the trees and the great awnings, and wide sidewalks... Anyways.... can't wait to see what SoBro will look like in the coming years!!!

Paula

NewTowner,

I agree with you 100%. I'd love to see the street that the Schermerhorn sits on looking like this. I think this sort of architecture would really suit it. It'd be great if the stadium were in the same architectural family (in the same way that Soldier Field fits in with the museums on the museum campus in Chicago). But it seems that they are going to be going for the "urban/warehouse/industrial" look. I do like modern (and Classical, and all styles in between... well.. most ....), but I think the "urban/warehouse/industrial" look is what the Gulch is doing... I don't see how it will fit in on the same street as the Symphony center. Anyways... a street like that would be AWESOME... especially if they kept the colors (love the light green on that old building), and not all limestone colored.. which gets really boring really fast... as I've said a gazilion times before... Nashville could use some color!! I also love all the trees and the great awnings, and wide sidewalks... Anyways.... can't wait to see what SoBro will look like in the coming years!!!

Paula

I agree with you 100% on that color!! Nashville definitely needs more color...and the awnings, trees, and wide sidewalks are all prerequisites for great streets...which Nashville needs more of, too!

How bout we take both your legs and we will give you some mid rise density like that. :lol: Just kidding NT. I do like the look of the street. It reminds me of some of the older cities I visited when I was a kid. We have lost a lot of our older buildings and it is a shame and now it is too late for them. I agree that we do need more mid rise for density in Nashville. I am afraid that mid rise to some are one story buildings. I dont want to feel as if I am at Disney World. I would say the best bet for mid rise density would be north of DT in the Capital Mall are and on the East Bank.

Gosh, Smeagol! That's rough. But anyway, I think one-story buildings qualify as low-rise, rather than mid-rise--and one-story buildings have to be moderately scaled and really close together on super-narrow streets (lanes, really) in order to make you feel all snug and enclosed. When that happens, they rock! As far as Disney World goes...well...it is sadly ironic, but Americans pay millions of dollars every year to go pretend they are in an embellished, human-scaled, pedestrian friendly community (and ride rollercoasters, but whatever)...exactly the sort of urban fabric we used to have before our towns and cities were demolished for mechanized "progress" (most of which never arrived, Optimus Prime) in the same decade that DisneyLand was erected. Oops! We got Punk'd!!

so back on topic of the hotel, does anyone know if there will be any visible signage located on the exterior of signature on the hotel portion. I guess it would be likely that there would be some sort of sign and awning just at the hotel entrance

I agree with you 100% on that color!! Nashville definitely needs more color...and the awnings, trees, and wide sidewalks are all prerequisites for great streets...which Nashville needs more of, too!

Gosh, Smeagol! That's rough. But anyway, I think one-story buildings qualify as low-rise, rather than mid-rise--and one-story buildings have to be moderately scaled and really close together on super-narrow streets (lanes, really) in order to make you feel all snug and enclosed. When that happens, they rock! As far as Disney World goes...well...it is sadly ironic, but Americans pay millions of dollars every year to go pretend they are in an embellished, human-scaled, pedestrian friendly community (and ride rollercoasters, but whatever)...exactly the sort of urban fabric we used to have before our towns and cities were demolished for mechanized "progress" (most of which never arrived, Optimus Prime) in the same decade that DisneyLand was erected. Oops! We got Punk'd!!

Sadly, Nashville doesn't have many streets wide enough to allow the kind of sidewalks we see on that San Francisco Street. That sidewalk is a major contributing factor to the beauty of that street. I think Gateway Boulevard would be our best bet for a street like that in SoBro, and I'd all for it developing that way.

NT, I am gonna have to agree with you here. Well said.

Any news on Sig. tower?

Wachovia will have the Largest uptown charlotte office space{ Sq. Feet wise}

SO thats positive news on our side.

:blush: I hope yall get sig. tower and beat Atlantas Tower :blush:

Hey now. You never know what Atlanta is going to do. We may just be waiting for Sig to dig and then make our secret announcement. You know the announcement. Shhhhh.

If completed on schedule in 2009, Nashville will only get to enjoy bragging rights for about 12 months. Then they may get "Trumped". :whistling:

Actually just kidding :rofl:

We have no supertalls planned to my knowledge.

Signature is as go as any scraper has ever been shy of moving dirt. And if history continues, they will add another ten feet to the height for every two month delay. :blink:

:D Then Wachovia will beat that :D Then one day BOA

:blush: A person can Dream

Hey now. You never know what Atlanta is going to do. We may just be waiting for Sig to dig and then make our secret announcement. You know the announcement. Shhhhh.

If completed on schedule in 2009, Nashville will only get to enjoy bragging rights for about 12 months. Then they may get "Trumped". :whistling:

KoQ did they ever release the plans/renderings for the Wachovia scraper in Charlotte? How can they start building without approval from the city? I know in Nashville they try to micromanage everything including the design (too much time) but I would think since tax dollars are actually going into the development public disclosure would be demanded.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...860&st=1780

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...3509&st=280

KoQ did they ever release the plans/renderings for the Wachovia scraper in Charlotte? How can they start building without approval from the city? I know in Nashville they try to micromanage everything including the design (too much time) but I would think since tax dollars are actually going into the development public disclosure would be demanded.

Apparently the entire city of Atlanta is very self concious and under the strange impression that every city in the south is in a skyscraper race, so i'm sure that in order to make themselves feel like they still matter they'll 'fight back' with three or four thousand footers in the next ten years or so. That is my prediction. :yahoo:

Apparently the entire city of Atlanta is very self concious and under the strange impression that every city in the south is in a skyscraper race, so i'm sure that in order to make themselves feel like they still matter they'll 'fight back' with three or four thousand footers in the next ten years or so. That is my prediction. :yahoo:

Wouldn't hurt this skyscraper fanatic's feelings at all.

So by saying that, Atlanta can't win. If we build what you say it'll be "AHA! Couldn't stand it could you?" and we don't build them it'll be "AHA! Atlanta isn't all that!" You've built a lose/lose argument that you can gloat over no matter the outcome. Sort of like "Heads I win, tails you lose". :rolleyes:

Seriously ? Another Trump ?

Actually yes, Trump is developing a tower here but it won't be anything groundbreaking. I believe it will be about 43 floors and roughly 500' tall. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But actually, I'm thrilled for Nashville about their project and I've tooted their horn since inception. No jealousy here, just friendly jabs.

I knew about the Trump. I just thought you were making it sound like Trump had a new tallest up his sleeve.

I wish. He's done it everywhere else so I'm a bit dissapointed he isn't doing it here. I guess it's kind of spoiled when we get a 40+ foor building and while it is always welcome, it isn't something that we all track floor by floor with awe.

I don't know how Trump structured his deals in South Florida, but it seems to me that his exposure there is quite high. Within ten miles of where I stayed last month at the Westin Hollywood, I passed no fewer than 6 buildings (all under construction) with his name on them. Reports I've read say that SFLA is already overbuilt. But like I said, he may just be lending his name for a "small" fee. I really don't know.

Archived